TCMD Discussion!!

EaglesPeteC

39 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Bortles contract becomes fully guaranteed on the first day of the 2018 league year (March 14 in real life). But it was guaranteed for injury last May 1 when the Jags exercised their 5th year option. Bortles had surgery after the season and can't pass a physical currently (and doesn't want to since the 19 mil guarantee keeps him the starter). 

So the Jags are indeed on the hook for 19 mil for Bortles. You can cut him injured but you still have to honor his guarantee.

I've never been concerned with these types of contracts in the past, just a lot to track on my end to catch all of these things.  

35 minutes ago, samsel23 said:

That is pretty one sided, an easy way to look at it from a fan stand point.  I HIGHLY doubt a professional/NFL athlete purposely attempts to fail a physical.  Someone that weak minded wouldn’t have trained hard enough to make it to that point.

Someone strong minded wouldn't give up his starting job without a fight. Bortles was injured when the season ended and had surgery. The recovery period is more than the 6 weeks between his last game and the start of the league year. At no point during this mock would Bortles have passed a physical. Unless you are claiming his hand injury was faked or something. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000912181/article/blake-bortles-undergoes-surgery-on-right-wrist

26 minutes ago, ny92jefferis said:

I've never been concerned with these types of contracts in the past, just a lot to track on my end to catch all of these things.  

Injury guarantees don't usually come up but Ryan Shazier is also in a similar situation. The Steelers exercised his 5th year option for 2018 making his salary guaranteed for injury. Obviously he can't pass a physical currently and probably will never play again.

25 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

Someone strong minded wouldn't give up his starting job without a fight. Bortles was injured when the season ended and had surgery. The recovery period is more than the 6 weeks between his last game and the start of the league year. At no point during this mock would Bortles have passed a physical. Unless you are claiming his hand injury was faked or something. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000912181/article/blake-bortles-undergoes-surgery-on-right-wrist

No I was more commenting on the him not wanting to pass the physical

34 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

You're assuming NFL physicals are legit. DeAndre Levy couldn't walk up stairs yet the Lions deemed him healthy enough to pass his physical so they could cut him without having to pay the money guaranteed for injuries. NFL physicals aren't legit. Not one team would fail him because he's in the latter stages of minor surgery, especially when they stand to save money by not failing him.

Archived