Valhalla Villager: News, Rumors and Gossip

Heimdallr

8 hours ago, JDBrocks said:

“soft”

Yes. When compared to Jack Youngblood playing with a broken leg, Larry Wilson playing with two broken hands and Jim Marshall playing every game for 19 seasons despite suffering from ulcers, pneumonia and even a gun shot wound in his side. To those three, a high ankle sprain might as well have been a hang nail. 

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You need to get over your fetishization of an era that isn’t even relevant, and where most of the stories have been sensationalized to the point they aren’t even true. 

Fetishization??  Really? That's pretty insulting.  I am not saying anything different than what others are saying about Davenport plus adding some comparison.  

2 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

The “old guys were tougher” narrative is one of the most annoying falsehoods around the game today.

almost as annoying as calling injured players soft.

As an "old guy" what I find annoying is current football fans who hold the history of the game in disdain by saying that "those players, in that era" couldn't compete in today's game.

11 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

As an "old guy" what I find annoying is current football fans who hold the history of the game in disdain by saying that "those players, in that era" couldn't compete in today's game.

Who holds it in disdain?! I just don’t need to hear about how football was better and players were tougher 30+ years ago. It was a different game, different rules, different level of competition. It was great in and of itself, but do we really need to “back in my day” everything?

Playing with a broken leg is dumb, not tough. It doesn’t need to be glorified.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 3

It's not necessarily "dumb" to play with a broken leg, it's just a different mindset, one that doesn't exist in today's game, for some good, but also some bad (as some players just can't or won't play unless they're nearly 100%).  Last I checked, the player who played with ulcers and gunshot wound is still alive and kicking at 85 yrs old.  The insults are unnecessary and rather condescending. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It's not necessarily "dumb" to play with a broken leg, it's just a different mindset

Can't go there with you. It's dumb. It's not necessary, it opens you up for further injury, and you can't tell me that another player wouldn't be able to fill in better. No one is playing close to 100% on a broken leg. It's selfish and hurts the team. HOF player or not.

Also, who's insulting anyone?

Edited by JDBrocks

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Also, who's insulting anyone?

Telling someone to get over their fetishization of an era is certainly insulting and unnecessary (I know you didn't say it, but it was said). 

We also have to keep in mind that there were only 40 players on a roster at that time as well (and didn't get to the 53-man roster until 1993), so yes, even an injured player playing was probably better than any backup they could have put on the field. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

We also have to keep in mind that there were only 40 players on a roster at that time as well (and didn't get to the 53-man roster until 1993), so yes, even an injured player playing was probably better than any backup they could have put on the field. 

Which in turn gives validity to the idea that the level of competition is higher in today's game. There are more phsyically able players in the league now than at any point in the past. Great players will always have their place, but if backups were incapable of replacing a player with a broken leg, the overall talent level was objectively worse.

Edited by JDBrocks