Alex Smith to be traded to Washington for 3rd round pick and CB Kendall Fuller; agrees to extension

Apparition

2 hours ago, Dashing202 said:

Smith getting 17 mil this year and 24 next year .

kirk cousins was offered the same contract we offered to smith . Kirk wants more than 25 I suspect 30-35 million dollars a year.

Kirk Cousins isn't getting $30M-$35M/year.  $30M/year alone is a stretch, no way he gets that high unless hell breaks loose.  Matthew Stafford currently paces the QB market at $27M/year.  Cousins isn't going to blast by that.

20 minutes ago, lancerman said:

So just for posterity sake the Browns who are going to have 107 million on their cap actually outbid the Redskins for Alex Smith but they couldn't get the deal done because they want to spend more for Alex Smith but NOT extend his contract that they could clearly afford because they were drafting a QB in the first round.... who would be on a rookie contract for at least 4 years. 

So Browns fans, you could have gotten the best QB your franchise has had since Kosar (and fyi, Smith ain't that great so that statement speaks volumes) and got your 1st round QB and developed him while Smith attempted to make your team competitive. You wouldn't be forced to rush him out there because you guys suck at the position and he could sit and learn for 3 years. And if he sucks, you have Alex Smith to fall back on.

Your offering the most value to acquire him but don't want to have him for awhile.... I don't understand your franchise. I'm sorry. Maybe I'm crazy. I don't think I am.

I don't think that is a bad move by CLE.  Signing Smith to a long term deal and then drafting the rookie, means the rookie is not playing and you need to find out if that rookie is worth an extension soon enough.  CLE is also not really in win now mode, so letting that QB grow and continue to acquire young talent with the picks saved.  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I don't think that is a bad move by CLE.  Signing Smith to a long term deal and then drafting the rookie, means the rookie is not playing and you need to find out if that rookie is worth an extension soon enough.  CLE is also not really in win now mode, so letting that QB grow and continue to acquire young talent with the picks saved.  

And....... The Browns have plenty of cap space. Spend 3 years developing and evaluating the QB. He might be a total bust. If he isn't, year 4 start him with Smith as a back up to fall back on just in case he can't handle the pressure. Simplest thing in the world. 

Congratulations. Now the Browns are going to get some junk stopgap QB who will suck it up and have their fans demanding they start the new guy way too early and have him go out there and start off on a bad team and then lose all his confidence. Like every QB before. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

I kind of get it from Washington's perspective - they weren't willingn to commit to a tank rebuild. I suppose that's commendable. I don't know. They did the absolute best thing that they could have to remain as competitive as they have been while losing Cousins. At the same time, yeah, he's 34 years old, your team isn't in that range where its a super competitive playoff team so I don't think that Smith really helps there overall.  I can certainly see the merit in keeping Colt and starting him or a rookie, or really even just signing one of the quarterbacks who loses musical chairs (Keenum, Bradford, Teddy B, Tyrod, etc), the difference is probably nominal and you keep your assets. 

Or maybe Bruce Allen also wants to try and keep his job. 

13 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Kirk Cousins isn't getting $30M-$35M/year.  $30M/year alone is a stretch, no way he gets that high unless hell breaks loose.  Matthew Stafford currently paces the QB market at $27M/year.  Cousins isn't going to blast by that.

The last time a "franchise QB" hit the FA Market (I define franchise QB as proven franchise QB not some scrub who could be like Brock Lobster) was Peyton.

In the prime of his career with the potential to be a top 10 QB and with teams desperate for a QB and the ridiculous contracts the bad QBs have gotten...Cousins will break 30 million easily.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Trust me I bet he will . If he said no to 24 mil than I'm like come on cousins ...

dude has 40 mil already and he's being greedy.

Edited by Dashing202

1 minute ago, lancerman said:

And....... The Browns have plenty of cap space. Spend 3 years developing and evaluating the QB. He might be a total bust. If he isn't, year 4 start him with Smith as a back up to fall back on just in case he can't handle the pressure. Simplest thing in the world. 

Congratulations. Now the Browns are going to get some junk stopgap QB who will suck it up and have their fans demanding they start the new guy way too early and have him go out there and start off on a bad team and then lose all his confidence. Like every QB before. 

Its a crap shoot to say which rookie QB needs to sit vs needs to play early.   Wentz,  Luck, Watson, Winston, Mariota seemed to do just fine. 

Sure some suck early, but maybe they were going to suck no matter what.

2 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

The last time a "franchise QB" hit the FA Market (I define franchise QB as proven franchise QB not some scrub who could be like Brock Lobster) was Peyton.

In the prime of his career with the potential to be a top 10 QB and with teams desperate for a QB and the ridiculous contracts the bad QBs have gotten...Cousins will break 30 million easily.

What's stopping the Redskins from franchising Kirk Cousins and auctioning him off to the highest bidder?

And using Peyton Manning coming off a major neck injury isn't really a good barometer.

Just now, CWood21 said:

You think he's going to get $30M+?

Yes dude Atleast 30. If he gets 27 I'd be upset because all we had to do was throw three mill More.

like the Browns have 70 mil in cap space or so . If there desperate they'll draft him and we both know they suck at drafting qbs .

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What's stopping the Redskins from franchising Kirk Cousins and auctioning him off to the highest bidder?

And using Peyton Manning coming off a major neck injury isn't really a good barometer.

Rumor is we are trying to trade and deal Kirk to Denver . Idk how reliable that is . 

Just now, Dashing202 said:

Him as a player .

wait why not ? Smith is a good qb .

Look at the numbers he posted and look at his age.  How much upside do you realistically expect him to have when he's 34 years old?  Last year, his CMP% was 2 points higher than his career averages with KC, his TD% was a full percentage point higher than his career average, and his YPA is almost a full yard more this year.  He's not going to post the same numbers he did this year, I'd bet on it.  You're more likely than not going to get 2015 Alex Smith, which is still pretty darn good.

2 minutes ago, Dashing202 said:

Yes dude Atleast 30. If he gets 27 I'd be upset because all we had to do was throw three mill More.

like the Browns have 70 mil in cap space or so . If there desperate they'll draft him and we both know they suck at drafting qbs .

You're more than welcome to bump up this when Cousins signs, but he's not blowing up the QB market.