Alex Smith traded......

brooks1957

5 hours ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Don't be too down on the Tryod Taylor bandwagon.  Outside of Cousins, he may be the best option at QB.  His numbers are not that bad.  Now as far as leadership and how he would mentor two young QBs, I have no idea.  But of the remaining options, I think he gives the Browns the best chance to win at QB.

I think Bradford would be absolutely perfect for that role more than Tryod. He is a capable starter but also knows he in likely a good backup at this point. Would trust him a lot to be able to mentor the likes of Darnold/Rosen.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think Bradford would be absolutely perfect for that role more than Tryod. He is a capable starter but also knows he in likely a good backup at this point. Would trust him a lot to be able to mentor the likes of Darnold/Rosen.

I wouldn’t trust Bradford at all. Browns need a QB that could start 16games. Not 5-6games if lucky 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I wouldn’t trust Bradford at all. Browns need a QB that could start 16games. Not 5-6games if lucky 

Well if you take a QB at #1 whenever Bradford gets injured you can then start your #1 pick. Im not in belief a good young QB needs a full season of sitting on the bench to get ready. Experience is the only teacher. I would say to get him 5-7 games of actual experience, just a little dose and not enough to ruin him mentally if he performs bad, in his rookie season would do great for him going into the offseason getting prepared for year 2.

It worked very well for Jared Goff that his first real game experience as the #1 overall pick wasnt in his second season. I believe you have to give the young QB a little sample of what to expect so he can take it and build off it and knows what to expect going into season 2.

7 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I still want him at the #3 development spot. But if Haley thinks he can start while grooming Darnold/Rosen I’d be ok with it. As long as Darnold/Rosen are on this freaking team I’m down with Weeden coming back. 

I wouldn't go that far but I understand what you are saying.

7 hours ago, StewieRules said:

Not sure if that's true and I don't think QB can be had that way but if it makes sense, it might be preferable to adding another twelve 20-22 year olds to a so young a roster.  Trading some of those mid-round or later round picks for some hopefully productive system guys might not be a bad way to go.  

Preaching to the choir.

My perfect offseason would be a QBOTF, 5 solid high draft picks total, a #1 pick for next year and 2-3 solid FAs.

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Well if you take a QB at #1 whenever Bradford gets injured you can then start your #1 pick. Im not in belief a good young QB needs a full season of sitting on the bench to get ready. Experience is the only teacher. I would say to get him 5-7 games of actual experience, just a little dose and not enough to ruin him mentally if he performs bad, in his rookie season would do great for him going into the offseason getting prepared for year 2.

It worked very well for Jared Goff that his first real game experience as the #1 overall pick wasnt in his second season. I believe you have to give the young QB a little sample of what to expect so he can take it and build off it and knows what to expect going into season 2.

We have no idea what kind of situation that QB gets thrown in. Say with the Bridge QB and the other talent brought it, Dorsey wants this team to win. Say Bradford has the team 3-2 after the first 5 weeks but gets hurt, thats a lot of pressure for the rookie QB to come into. Specially if its someone like Darnold. He needs to refine his throwing motion. I rather him spend the year on the bench and doing nothing but working on that. He gets thrown in, he will resort to instincts and he might go back to that crap throwing motion. Also the Browns have started a lot of rookie QBs and it has never worked. Rather see them try and develop one and groom one and not play him until he is ready. Darnold can always get game experience in mop up time. starting or sitting it can be beneficial either way. You have success stories of QBs who sat and QBs who have not. Browns have never truly tried or been able to properly groom one before they were ready. 

On 1/30/2018 at 11:23 PM, buno67 said:

rumor was that the contract extension was part of the trade. If an extension couldnt be reached, the trade wouldnt of been made. That could of been the reason why the Browns didnt get him. Didnt want to offer him a longer term deal like that.Also a 3rd and Fuller would of been better than a 3rd and whatever DB they wanted. 

I haven't read through the rest so this may have been touched on. I actually think it's probably the opposite of what you're saying. I think any team looking to trade that for him would want to know he would be a part of the franchise under contract for at least a few years. With the comments he made on the Dan Patrick show, it didn't sound like he was that excited of the idea of coming here, so chances are he wouldn't have agreed to an extension, and we would be giving up a pick and player, or picks, for a QB we get one season out of. Not a great investment. 

8 hours ago, H2ThaIzzo said:

I haven't read through the rest so this may have been touched on. I actually think it's probably the opposite of what you're saying. I think any team looking to trade that for him would want to know he would be a part of the franchise under contract for at least a few years. With the comments he made on the Dan Patrick show, it didn't sound like he was that excited of the idea of coming here, so chances are he wouldn't have agreed to an extension, and we would be giving up a pick and player, or picks, for a QB we get one season out of. Not a great investment. 

Well reports coming out now that the browns offered a 2nd rd pick but didn’t want to give him an extension. Read that KC only wanted to trade him if a team was willing to extend him. 

KC got a great deal from Washington. They got a great young player a decent draft pick and saved $17m. 

If we get Tyrod Taylor, here's what we'd be getting:

A proven to be capable but not overwhelming starting veteran QB/game manager, with decent leadership skills who is respected by his teammates.

He will, assuming he stays healthy for 14-16 games, like he has the last 3 years, put up numbers like these:

*62%-64% completion percentage

*2,800-3,100 yards

*14-20 TDs

*4-6 INT

*400-600 rushing yards

*4-6 rushing TD

*1-4 fumbles

That's roughly 20-26 TD accounted for with under 10 turnovers, 180-220 yards passing per game, 1-2 TD per game, and less than a turnover per game.

That's perfect for 2018 with a walk-away option or trade leverage in 2019, even if it's a lower end draft pick.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If we get Tyrod Taylor, here's what we'd be getting:

A proven to be capable but not overwhelming starting veteran QB/game manager, with decent leadership skills who is respected by his teammates.

He will, assuming he stays healthy for 14-16 games, like he has the last 3 years, put up numbers like these:

*62%-64% completion percentage

*2,800-3,100 yards

*14-20 TDs

*4-6 INT

*400-600 rushing yards

*4-6 rushing TD

*1-4 fumbles

That's roughly 20-26 TD accounted for with under 10 turnovers, 180-220 yards passing per game, 1-2 TD per game, and less than a turnover per game.

That's perfect for 2018 with a walk-away option or trade leverage in 2019, even if it's a lower end draft pick.

Just my .02 but I agree with it for you guys if throwing 2 Brinks trucks worth of $$$ at Cousins doesn’t work.

Archived