Miscellaneous News V 5.0

Breesus mode

13 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m sure Chryst isn’t culpable here. There’s no reason to think he is at this point. Obviously, no reason to jump to conclusions before the facts come out.

Surprised Davis isn’t suspended yet pending the investigation considering the circumstances. 

The UW postponed his media availability while they started an investigation. Was a Title IX correspondent notified? Did either student contact the campus police? If so, when?

Considering the Madison PD were interviewing the victim within 3 hours of the assault, it may have bypassed them entirely. But they need to be able to show that and prove conclusively that they didn't know.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The UW postponed his media availability while they started an investigation. Was a Title IX correspondence notified? Did either student contact the campus police? If so, when?

Considering the Madison PD were interviewing the victim within 3 hours of the assault, it may have bypassed them entirely. But they need to be able to show that and prove conclusively that they didn't know.

Yep, we need the deets! If Chryst knew, he's culpable and needs to be held accountable.

5 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The UW postponed his media availability while they started an investigation. Was a Title IX correspondence notified? Did either student contact the campus police? If so, when?

I get these points but it seems weird that Davis isn’t suspended pending the investigation considering how ugly it is on it’s face. There was a firestorm that Meyer should be fired based on day one misinformation before the facts began to come out. Moral of the story is consistency and needing the investigation to run its course. 

Just now, NateDawg said:

I get these points but it seems weird that Davis isn’t suspended pending the investigation considering how ugly it is on it’s face. There was a firestorm that Meyer should be fired based on day one misinformation before the facts began to come out. Moral of the story is consistency and needing the investigation to run its course. 

He should still be fired.

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What? That makes no sense. They can suspend players for whatever they want.

https://uwbadgers.com/sports/2017/8/10/policies-student-athlete-discipline-policy.aspx?id=1336

3. When the Policy Applies
This policy applies when a student-athlete has been charged with or arrested for a crime based on conduct involving:

causing serious physical injury to another person
creating a serious danger to the personal safety of another person
making a credible threat of serious physical injury to another person
sexual assault
delivering or possessing with intent to deliver a controlled substance as defined in Chap. 961, Wis. Stats.
felony theft or felony criminal damage to property
“stalking” as defined in UWS 17.02(14)
repeated violations of the criminal law that raise the concerns addressed by the policy

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He should still be fired.

That’s fine. I’ve said that I get both sides of it. The bottom line is that there was a day 1 storyline that there were Title IX violations and that Meyer didn’t report DV allegations. Additionally, a false report by a tabloid reporter who wrongly reports that there was a 2015 arrest of Zach Smith. The mob ran with a false narrative from the start. If you’re in the camp that an opposing teams coach should be fired for keeping a dude who had a toxic marriage and had abuse allegations, even when the evidence wasn’t there for the police to file charges, we can have that conversation. And I respect it. It’s a serious issue. Ultimately, if that’s the camp you’re in, then you’re of the mindset that both Meyer and the AD have to go based on bad judgment of keeping him on staff. And you also have to accept that the firing is without cause and you owe him $38 million. As long as you’re consistent though, I can totally respect where you’re at. But if people decide to waffle with this case and say “let’s wait until the facts come out with Davis before rushing to judgment” on an early storyline of a star receiver recording a rape, it’s lacking in consistency. 

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

@ramssuperbowl99 Someone just told me that coaches aren't allowed to suspend players until criminal charges are filed according to the athletic policy at UW. Is that true?

That's how it works most places, same type of thing when I was on a staff. No reason to preemptively suspend a kid the moment he comes to you. Most of the time the kid confides his story to the coach, sounds like Cephus immediately took care of his obligations legally. You let law enforcement do their job and cooperate with them with anything they need. Highly doubt Chryst will face any scrutiny.

Just now, NateDawg said:

I’d say “creating a serious danger to the safety of another” pretty clearly applies there.

No, I'm not arguing the situation. He should've been suspended no matter what. It was whether or not Chryst could suspend Cephus before the charges were filed. It literally says in the Student Athlete Discipline Policy that the policy applies when charges are filed or the player is arrested.

Archived