Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Would anyone here be interested in bringing back Treadwell as the #4/#5?

No. He was never good, and would probably be the slowest WR on the roster. Given the athleticism and speed of the recent draft picks, Treadwell doesn't even seem like a fit.

• Like 5

Terence Newman: “I think [Zimmer] felt the pressure and he put so much pressure on everybody else around him that there was no way we could succeed. We couldn’t win. It was hard to focus on your job when you’re focusing on, ‘OK, if I make a mistake, I’m going to get cussed out.’ That type of environment is tough to work in. Period. I don’t give a **** what you do. It’s hard to work in an environment like that.”

“He was never in a good mood. People sense that stuff. You come in and you have an attitude. What the f*** are you mad about? There’s this dude over here playing with a bum knee giving it everything he’s got. Could’ve sat out. But he said, ‘You know what? I want to be there for my boys. I want to go out. I want to push myself. I want to do what I can for my team.’ And then this guy’s over here grumpy about possibly getting fired and still making however much money he’s going to make next year because he’s got a guaranteed contract. Tell me how that’s fair.”

Newman explained that, “when you try to intimidate, you get guys who are scared to make mistakes.”

“You do your job, but you don’t do your job the best you can do it because you’re afraid of the repercussions and the consequences. You get embarrassed in front of everybody in the meeting room, and that does nothing for anybody. There’s no positivity that comes from that. . . . It was an atmosphere that became very toxic. Young guys didn’t want to play for the guy.”

“If you’re a coach who coached in the 90s — and you haven’t adapted to what you’re doing — you’re making a huge, egregious mistake. You can’t just run your players into the dirt. You can’t go Bill Parcells, two-a-days, live, goal-line, live red zone plays. You can’t do that anymore. I mean, you’ve got guys who are beat up just from practice. They’ve got to go play a game on Sunday. And we literally beat the **** out of each other on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/02/with-mike-zimmer-out-and-kevin-oconnell-in-the-vikings-could-be-much-much-better/

• Like 5

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Dunce’s article was scathing. 

Yeah, it was.  Newman was also correct in saying that having a leader that is always fearful and in a bad mood is bad for production, no matter the job or context.

There's only one type of leader worse than the paranoid grump.  The leader who is unavailable and can't communicate is worse, by far.  Now that I am retired I only have my wife as a boss...she communicates VERY well...sometimes with just a look!!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

Yeah, it was.  Newman was also correct in saying that having a leader that is always fearful and in a bad mood is bad for production, no matter the job or context.

There's only one type of leader worse than the paranoid grump.  The leader who is unavailable and can't communicate is worse, by far.  Now that I am retired I only have my wife as a boss...she communicates VERY well...sometimes with just a look!!

Welcome to the forums!

Edit: Just saw your post in the new intro forum so I guess instead of a "welcome to the forums" it should be "welcome back"

Edited by mattyice0401

On 9/3/2022 at 9:47 PM, SemperFeist said:

Dunce’s article was scathing. 

Maybe it's just me, but I expected it to be even more negative than it was.  There wasn't really anything in that article that I found all that surprising. 

As far as the "Satan" comment, I took that as pure hyperbole and said in a sort of sarcastic tone...as in how lots of people react when they feel someone has been mean to them...not that the coordinator felt that way, but in sort of a condescending tone towards the players that felt that way.    

Edited by swede700

32 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I expected it to be even more negative than it was.  There wasn't really anything in that article that I found all that surprising. 

As far as the "Satan" comment, I took that as pure hyperbole and said in a sort of sarcastic tone...as in how lots of people react when they feel someone has been mean to them...not that the coordinator felt that way, but in sort of a condescending tone towards the players that felt that way.    

As fans who pay very close attention to the team, nothing in the article was surprising, but for the casual fan, it was an eye opener. Much of what was said has been whispered about and rumored about for a few years. There has even been an article or two written that many of us fans wrote off as sour grapes. But, what made the article so scathing to me was that fact that someone like Newman had no trouble putting their name to it. 

Newman going on record and making those comments not only gives credence to this story, but it gives some validation to some of the stories that came before it. 

It’s like when the team let go of Eric Sugarman and the media and fans all gasped and couldn’t believe the team would let him go. Yet shortly after his departure, quite a few former players went on social media and said some pretty surprising things. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’s like when the team let go of Eric Sugarman and the media and fans all gasped and couldn’t believe the team would let him go. Yet shortly after his departure, quite a few former players went on social media and said some pretty surprising things. 

Huh, whut? Fill us in here.

43 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Huh, whut? Fill us in here.

After Sugarman was let go multiple (former) players went on Twitter and expressed their dislike for him. That he wasn’t the guy in the training room that matched the public perception. 

Many of the players who spoke out said that Sugarman played favorites in the training room and that how much care and attention you received was based on your place on the roster. Guys higher on the roster were given preferential treatment and greater care/attention, while lower guys on the roster/PS were basically told to suck it up and go play. 

• Like 1

Ryan O’Halloran of The Denver Post reports the Broncos are signing safety Anthony Harris to their practice squad.

The Eagles and Harris “mutually agreed” to terminate his practice squad contract Sept. 5 to maximize his flexibility to join another team’s active roster. But he will begin his time in Denver on the practice squad.

Harris spent six seasons with Broncos General Manager George Paton and the Vikings. Harris, who spent last season in Philadelphia, has started 61 career games, including 44 the past three seasons. He led the NFL with six interceptions in 2019.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/09/14/broncos-sign-anthony-harris-to-practice-squad-place-justin-simmons-on-ir/