Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

For those who were upset when he was cut. He’s available, again. 

I wasn't upset when they cut him, but I do think the team should consider him over Proehl.  However, given how little I know about how Proehl is doing, I still wouldn't be upset if they picked Proehl over Smith-Marsette.  With the trade for Reagor, Smith-Marsette has one less use to the team. 

I never saw much from ISM when was here, so I wasn't upset, but I was somewhat surprised because of the lack of depth at WR beyond 3-4 guys.  But, after watching that game vs. Chicago, I now know why, since he killed himself with his lack of awareness.  He needs more time on the PS, and shouldn't be on a 53-man roster right now, as he isn't ready for it.  

The Commanders are turning to Taylor Heinicke as their starting quarterback for the third straight season.

Heinicke started a playoff loss during the 2020 season after Alex Smith was injured and he started 15 games last year after taking over when Ryan Fitzpatick went down for the season in Week One. Carson Wentz is the ailing starter this time and Heinicke said on Wednesday that he feels better prepared for the job than he did during his previous elevations to the starting role.

Heinicke: “I feel a lot more comfortable, a lot more confident. I was a little overwhelmed last year; it was my first time starting 15 games and it gets to you a little bit.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/20/taylor-heinicke-feels-a-lot-more-confident-as-starter-this-year/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Will be interesting to see if the Commanders can rally around Heinicke and win some games. Wonder if that would be enough to bench Wentz? 

I can't believe that would happen, because even if they rally behind him, he's still a worse QB than Wentz.  He may have better leadership skills, but on the field, he can't compare to Wentz physically.

But, once again, Heinicke was one of the backup gems that Spielman managed to find.  He couldn't ever find a true starter, but he seemed to be pretty good at finding projects who could eventually develop to be good backups, even including Teddy, Joe Webb and Tyler Thigpen.  If Ponder had loved the game, he probably could have been a decent backup long-term too, and eventually that's maybe where Mond will get to.  And can't forget Jake Browning too, who is managing to stick around on the Bengals' PS.  

Remembering Paul Krause's Interception Record.

On December 2, 1979, Minnesota Vikings safety Paul Krause set a pro football standard that has yet to be surpassed. In a 27-21 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, Krause broke the career interception record that was previously set by Hall of Famer Emlen Tunnell, who pilfered 79 passes during his 14-year career. Krause intercepted a tipped Vince Ferragamo pass in the second quarter against the Rams to break Tunnell's record. Then in the fourth quarter, Krause intercepted another pass, giving him 81 career interceptions during his 16 years in pro football. Krause was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1998. No player has broken his record for career interceptions since he retired following the 1979 season.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I can't believe that would happen, because even if they rally behind him, he's still a worse QB than Wentz.  He may have better leadership skills, but on the field, he can't compare to Wentz physically.

But, once again, Heinicke was one of the backup gems that Spielman managed to find.  He couldn't ever find a true starter, but he seemed to be pretty good at finding projects who could eventually develop to be good backups, even including Teddy, Joe Webb and Tyler Thigpen.  If Ponder had loved the game, he probably could have been a decent backup long-term too, and eventually that's maybe where Mond will get to.  And can't forget Jake Browning too, who is managing to stick around on the Bengals' PS.  

Is Wentz on the field any good at this point. Thought he’s on a major decline? Going back to the Foles vs Wentz debate, I can understand going with Wentz but that was years ago when he was young and clearly had more physical ability and potential. I think if you’re managing to win games with the backup, you bench Wentz, who’s not a set starter in my mind. He’s on his what third team in three years? 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Remembering Paul Krause's Interception Record.

On December 2, 1979, Minnesota Vikings safety Paul Krause set a pro football standard that has yet to be surpassed. In a 27-21 loss to the Los Angeles Rams, Krause broke the career interception record that was previously set by Hall of Famer Emlen Tunnell, who pilfered 79 passes during his 14-year career. Krause intercepted a tipped Vince Ferragamo pass in the second quarter against the Rams to break Tunnell's record. Then in the fourth quarter, Krause intercepted another pass, giving him 81 career interceptions during his 16 years in pro football. Krause was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1998. No player has broken his record for career interceptions since he retired following the 1979 season.

And no one ever will.  With how the game is played today, it's virtually impossible for anyone to ever even get close again.  It took Woodson (Charles, that is) to play a year longer than Krause to even get within 16...and the other Woodson (Rod) played the same amount of seasons, yet still fell 10 short.  The active leader is Marcus Peters, and he's 50 away 8 years into his career...so even if he were to go at the same rate, he'd still likely be 17 away if he were to play 16 years.  

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

Adam Thielen has now played in more Viking games than Adrian Peterson.

vikings.com

Which still leaves him 63rd overall in the history of the franchise.  He's even 26 games behind the active leader, Harrison Smith, who, if he plays every game the rest of the season, will move in the top 25 overall, surpassing both Matt Blair and Alan Page (and tying Bobby Bryant).  Only Krause played more Vikings' games at safety than Harry has...and Harry likely surpasses him in 2023.  

And for the mind-blowing stat of the day, should Harrison, in the unlikely event, play every single game from here on out throughout the remainder of his contract, he would be in 3rd place all-time games as a Viking, 2 ahead of Fred Cox and significantly behind Marshall and Tingelhoff.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

Which still leaves him 63rd overall in the history of the franchise.  He's even 26 games behind the active leader, Harrison Smith, who, if he plays every game the rest of the season, will move in the top 25 overall, surpassing both Matt Blair and Alan Page (and tying Bobby Bryant).  Only Krause played more Vikings' games at safety than Harry has...and Harry likely surpasses him in 2023.  

And for the mind-blowing stat of the day, should Harrison, in the unlikely event, play every single game from here on out throughout the remainder of his contract, he would be in 3rd place all-time games as a Viking, 2 ahead of Fred Cox and significantly behind Marshall and Tingelhoff.

you're paid to sit at a desk and research this stuff...? lol

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vike daddy said:

you're paid to sit at a desk and research this stuff...? lol

Taking a few minutes in-between provisions of contracts...what I do, while not physically exhausting (like construction 😉) is mentally exhausting, so researching stuff like that is a relaxing break to me.  🤣

• Like 3