Knockin' on Valhalla's Door

Klomp

36 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm surprised he didn't work out as a depth/PS Safety. I think if he had any value at all on defense he'd make someone's squad.

But I guess NaJee Thompson is in the same situation?

He was on the Vikings' practice squad 2 weeks ago.  I believe they released him because of Lowry's injury and the injury to Hicks and had to add additional bodies for defense.   He's an offensive player, not defensive.

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Ol' Rick Danmeier.  I can't say I really remember him...but this must have been before they allowed a player to hold the ball if it fell off a tee multiple times. 

Was that our friend, the great official, Jerry Markbreit, I saw running down the field after a bit?

The University of Colorado has hired former Vikings’ offensive lineman Phil Loadholt to be the team’s new offensive line coach.

Loadholt was drafted by the Vikings in the second round of the 2009 NFL Draft and immediately became a fixture at right tackle for the team. He started every game that he appeared in for the Vikings, a total of 93 games (including playoffs) over the course of six seasons.

Loadholt missed the last five games of the 2013 injury with a torn pectoral muscle, and then missed the entire 2014 season after tearing his Achilles in the team’s preseason opener. He tried to come back to the team in 2015 but eventually opted for retirement instead.

Loadholt has been involved in coaching since 2018, when he spent two seasons with the University of Central Florida as an offensive line analyst. He then had the same role at Ole Miss in 2020 and 2021 before moving on to his alma mater, the University of Oklahoma, in the same capacity over the past two seasons. He also took part in the Vikings’ scouting fellowship program in 2019.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2023/12/7/23992918/colorado-buffaloes-phil-loadholt-offensive-line-coach-minnesota-vikings?fbclid=IwAR0mx7MYD-_t70NV3qIR5HK0HzMmjBKIr6NE1o7_XnKq9MLfE-CmFumKTj8

as i remember, Loadholt is a Colorado native.

• Like 3

With Geno Smith questionable with a groin injury, the Seahawks elevated quarterback Sean Mannion from the practice squad ahead of their Week 14 game against the 49ers.

If Smith can’t play, Drew Lock will make his first career start with the Seahawks, and Mannion would serve as the backup. Mannion previously spent time with the Seahawks during training camp in 2021 and was on the team’s practice squad last year.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/with-geno-smith-questionable-seahawks-elevate-sean-mannion-from-the-practice-squad

Remembering Great NFL Players of the 1970s!

Paul Krause of the Minnesota Vikings (and previously of the Washington Redskins) was the epitome of a deep safety in the NFL. Krause possessed the hands of a receiver, and the ability to adeptly read opposing pass routes. He played a total of 16 seasons of pro ball.

Krause led the league with 12 interceptions in his rookie year, then after his fourth year (for whatever reason), he was traded by Washington to Minnesota. He thus served as one of the most important parts of the Purple People Eaters defense. With each passing year, Krause would get a handful of interceptions. In only one year (1978) did he fail to register at least one pickoff.

Krause retired at the end of the 1979 season with an NFL record of 81 interceptions. He was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1998.

NFL.com

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Remembering Great NFL Players of the 1970s!

Paul Krause of the Minnesota Vikings (and previously of the Washington Redskins) was the epitome of a deep safety in the NFL. Krause possessed the hands of a receiver, and the ability to adeptly read opposing pass routes. He played a total of 16 seasons of pro ball.

Krause led the league with 12 interceptions in his rookie year, then after his fourth year (for whatever reason), he was traded by Washington to Minnesota. He thus served as one of the most important parts of the Purple People Eaters defense. With each passing year, Krause would get a handful of interceptions. In only one year (1978) did he fail to register at least one pickoff.

Krause retired at the end of the 1979 season with an NFL record of 81 interceptions. He was enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1998.

NFL.com

I believe that Krause's rookie season the NFL played a 12 game season.  12 interceptions in a 12 game season is just phenomenal. 

• Like 1

Former Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is not impressed with what he’s seeing from his former team, or from his former head coach Mike Tomlin. Discussing last week’s loss to the Patriots on his podcast, Roethlisberger said bad coaching is a major problem in Pittsburgh.

Roethlisberger: “At the end of that game, if we had one more timeout, we have another chance. When you lose timeouts because of silly penalties — too many men on the field, not enough men on the field — you can’t afford in the second half of games, to burn silly timeouts and not have them late in the game. To me, that is, that’s bad. It’s bad coaching.”

“Maybe the tradition of the Pittsburgh Steelers is done. This isn’t what has been handed down from those teams of the ‘70s. The Steel Curtain, the four Super Bowls, the Nolls, the Bradshaws, the Blounts. All those people, it’s unbelievable.”

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/ben-roethlisberger-cites-steelers-bad-coaching-as-problem-in-loss-to-patriots