Cleveland Guardians Thread: CHEAP OWNERSHIP = No Hitting

malibuspeedrace

10 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

man.. idk how I feel about this one. If we had no intentions of resigning him I get it. But if the new owner would have done it but the front office was just not happy with the prospect they’d have to give up then I’d be pretty upset. 

I know not every situation is identical, but if the Mets wouldnt let go of either of their top 2 prospects for a Lindor trade and we had to take their 4th and 10th best prospects--I dont think giving up our #1 option for Soto is fair value.

I know Soto is a monster and it would be awesome to relieve some of the burden on Jose every night, but Washington would have to sweeten that pot a bit if they want Espino. Especially since we would also have to give Soto a 350M+ contract (which doesnt seem like CLE style).

I could talk myself into it on the other hand because the Guardians recently have had struggles developing bats and zero problem developing pitching. I know Espino is a monster, but I have faith they could easily develop another Civale, Bieber, Kluber, Bauer, Clevenger, Carrasco, McKenzie, ect

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

Gavin Williams is a guy I’m really excited about too 

Gavin Williams looks like a future ace. Joey Cantillo looks really good. Peyton Battenfield's strikeouts have dipped dramatically this year but he still looks like a solid rotation piece. Tanner Bibee has been fantastic. Logan Allen (the younger one) has struggled with the adjustment to AAA but was fantastic at AA. Tanner Burns has been good at AA. Cody Morris was a fast, fast riser last year. Xzavion Curry has the best name in baseball. Nick Mikolajchak at AAA looks like a possible solid reliever. And I haven't even mentioned anybody who's like A/Low A. Ethan Hankins if he ever gets healthy, Doug Nikhazy, etc. 

As far as Soto goes. If ownership is ponying up to sign him long term, you move Espino. He's amazing. I love him. But he's a pitcher, pitchers break down physically all the time. And you're trading for a top 5 player in the sport WHO IS 23 YEARS OLD. You pay a hefty price for that and smile to do it. But if he's just a rental, I don't know that you move Espino for that. He's young, seems very likely to be a stud, and (important to our cheap #$$ owners) cost-controlled.

3 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Why does it feel like the Padres get every single player in every single trade.

Another terrible part about this is that San Diego is a smaller market than Cleveland and yet somehow they extend Tatis, sign Machado, trade for Soto, etc.  

6 minutes ago, mchjstnk said:

Another terrible part about this is that San Diego is a smaller market than Cleveland and yet somehow they extend Tatis, sign Machado, trade for Soto, etc.  

ehh doesnt matter about market size moreso than they just have a owner who is willing to pay-to-win. Cleveland does not.

With Terry Francona and the winning culture that the Guardians have had for the past decade, Im sure a lot of really good players would like to play here, problem is they have a ownership group that only orders Free Agents off the dollar menu.

14 minutes ago, mchjstnk said:

Unfortunately we have such an amazing front office and team that develops guys- They kinda bail out Dolan.

Also, Franmil is going to AAA.

14 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Unfortunately we have such an amazing front office and team that develops guys- They kinda bail out Dolan.

Also, Franmil is going to AAA.

Dang, I knew he was slumping and you could tell by his body language at the plate. Maybe it will be good for him to go spend a week or two in AAA and find that swing again

On 8/2/2022 at 8:37 AM, AkronsWitness said:

I know not every situation is identical, but if the Mets wouldnt let go of either of their top 2 prospects for a Lindor trade and we had to take their 4th and 10th best prospects--I dont think giving up our #1 option for Soto is fair value.

I think Soto was more valuable than Lindor at the time when they were traded.

Lindor only had one year of control. Soto is 2.5 yrs. You always knew the Mets were going to reach a new deal with him cause it is a NY market team but their was still that chance he could have walked. 

16 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Franmil got DFA’d

He has looked absolutely lost at the plate this year. You would think with the line up being better than last year, that he would do better with more protection around him but that has hardly been the case.

That trade was a bust. Puig was good that year for us, I think that was the last time he played in the major. Which is kinda crazy to think. Logan Allen is Gone. Franmil is done. I dont think the other low level players are doing anything. A rare trade that the FO didnt really get any decent long term player out of