Around the League - Training Camp

flyingmonkey30

1 hour ago, flyingmonkey30 said:

FIFY

I get what the Rams are trying to do - Surround the young passer with weapons and defense to give the team its best chance at winning before it must pay its star QB and RB.

But all these new pieces via trade and big signings from FA have a history of backfiring. The teams it has worked for only supplimented their homegrown roster with these moves, not built their roster with them. The rams have rebuilt a big chunk of their starting lineup...that has a tendency to eat into success and cause trouble.

If it works for them, great...but it backfires 90% or more of the time. 

27 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I...don't like what the Rams are doing anymore. In this draft? No 1st or 2nd? 

I don't know. 5th - 6th youngest team in NFL. $90m in cap next yr. Legit SB contenders. Control Peters for 2 more yrs....yeah, I'm ok with giving up #1 and #2 for SB push with proven players even if they are just potential rentals. They'll probably gain a couple of comp picks for Cooks and Suh.

20 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

I don't know. 5th - 6th youngest team in NFL. $90m in cap next yr. Legit SB contenders. Control Peters for 2 more yrs....yeah, I'm ok with giving up #1 and #2 for SB push with proven players even if they are just potential rentals. They'll probably gain a couple of comp picks for Cooks and Suh.

Got a couple on deck for Watkins and Johnson, too. Surprisingly, they’re the only team yet to sign a UFA

3 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Wow the Pats still got it!

Everyones on the Rams' jock for all these moves...but its quietly killing their chemistry. Meanwhile, the Patriots just put themselves in position to select one of those late first guys who slide from the top on down for whatever lame reason, just as the Pats always do...or to reach for a second round guy they love and get him for a fifth year.

Im betting this solidifies Sutton as a Patriot honestly. Big strong jump ball guy, perfect for an aging QB whos best deep balls are behind him. Though I can see them being all over one of the sliding corners or OLs. Pats just love picking up whoever slides without caring what position they're at. Hell, Mason Rudolph could even be in play...

Pats do indeed still have it.

13 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

I get what the Rams are trying to do - Surround the young passer with weapons and defense to give the team its best chance at winning before it must pay its star QB and RB.

But all these new pieces via trade and big signings from FA have a history of backfiring. The teams it has worked for only supplimented their homegrown roster with these moves, not built their roster with them. The rams have rebuilt a big chunk of their starting lineup...that has a tendency to eat into success and cause trouble.

If it works for them, great...but it backfires 90% or more of the time. 

I was of the same mindset last year. Because the previous year held true to your point when the Pats signed a bunch of players they signed via FA or trade.

But the Iggles followed that formula last year and they didn't "retool" they built a SB champion with 11 FA and trade players, all at major positions.

It truly is the new winning formula. What's more is it makes perfect sense given the salary cap.

The idea is sign proven, seasoned players to 1 year deals, this makes it possible to sign many without killing yourself down the road with long-term contracts like we do.

It also avoids the "breaking in " period of building thru the draft. By the time the rookies you drafted get experience, many will have outplayed their rookie contracts. Now you have a solid player, but you have to lock em up with a heavy long term contract. And the cap will not allow you to sign them all.

The eagles DID NOT follow thst formula.

The eagles majority of starters were homegrown. That OL was homegrown. That defense was homegrown. They supplimented their roster with signings, but most of their starters were their own crop of guys. They brought in two runners, two receivers, a 2down DE, and a couple others who would play roles and not completely redefine their team.

Dont confuse it with what the Rams are doing. The rams are replacing their starters with new.players all over the place. Traded off their leader at LB. Their top DE. Brought in three new.corners to sit on top the depth chart. They let a lot of good players go from a winning team and brought in so many new faces that the majority of what was homegrown has become a group of castoffs. Several with character issues (Suh, Peters) and some on one mayne two year rentals (Peters again, Suh, Cooks) .. that is a disaster to team chemistry.

Eagles supplimented to what they had. Not rebuilt their roster. Big difference.

25 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

No. Something has to be wrong. Another one year deal and he comes up with that little? What don't we know?

Its simple. He doesnt fit many places. Not explosive enough for underman, not powerful enough for 3 downs of the nose. He will likely play a power end in the 34 front and come off the field when they go with an even alignment.

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Its simple. He doesnt fit many places. Not explosive enough for underman, not powerful enough for 3 downs of the nose. He will likely play a power end in the 34 front and come off the field when they go with an even alignment.

I thought he was a perfectly fine NT in Philly

Archived