2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

True, we could have afforded him but I'm guessing perhaps our new DC Pettine is who wanted to move on from him?  It isn't fun watching starters leave at a position we weren't all that strong to begin with.  Let's hope there is a plan that isn't obvious from our vantage point.

I thought safety was in a decent spot w/ Burnett. HHCD has proven himself in the past, though recently he’s had to deal with helping bad CB’s. both Brice and Evans have shown they can be capable depth. There were some that even thought JJones was a luxury pick. 

What's our defense right now?

Daniels - Clark - Wilkerson - Perry
Matthews - Martinez
King - HaHa - Brice - Jones - Pipkins

???

Obviously that's not our "base" but could we see Perry with his hand in the dirt again and Jones coming down as in S/LB hybrid type in his place?

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/21/several-former-players-urge-packers-to-sign-s-eric-reid/

Nothing concrete here about interest but it's so dead I figure it's worth discussing. If Morgan got 3/14.5, I'd give Reid 3/15-16 in a heartbeat. Obviously you'd have the social activism you'd have to address, which I think needs to be handled with both Reid and the vets currently on the team. IMO I have no issues with it as long as it's OK with Rodgers, Matthews, Cobb, Daniels, etc. I'd ask him flat out on the visit, if the vets decide they'll be linking arms as a team again this year and Aaron tells you he wants you to join them, will you? If he says no, then I have no interest. 

43 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

What's our defense right now?

Daniels - Clark - Wilkerson - Perry
Matthews - Martinez
King - HaHa - Brice - Jones - Pipkins

???

Obviously that's not our "base" but could we see Perry with his hand in the dirt again and Jones coming down as in S/LB hybrid type in his place?

I think that's exactly what it is right now. 

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

I told you guys Ted was still the GM

It's funny because we literally signed two tight ends, a defensive lineman and a cornerback by the 24th of March last year and people think Gute is this much more active guy when we've signed one tight end and one defensive lineman and it's the 21st. 

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/21/several-former-players-urge-packers-to-sign-s-eric-reid/

Nothing concrete here about interest but it's so dead I figure it's worth discussing. If Morgan got 3/14.5, I'd give Reid 3/15-16 in a heartbeat. Obviously you'd have the social activism you'd have to address, which I think needs to be handled with both Reid and the vets currently on the team. IMO I have no issues with it as long as it's OK with Rodgers, Matthews, Cobb, Daniels, etc. I'd ask him flat out on the visit, if the vets decide they'll be linking arms as a team again this year and Aaron tells you he wants you to join them, will you? If he says no, then I have no interest. 

I’ll pass. I’d give the young guys a chance to duke it out. Brice & Evans are in their contract years & Jones could make a 2nd-yr jump. With all those options plus possible draft picks, there seems to be a decent chance of at least having a stopgap solution. Then the money you save could be used to pay for a CB via trade or future FA

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

It's funny because we literally signed two tight ends, a defensive lineman and a cornerback by the 24th of March last year and people think Gute is this much more active guy when we've signed one tight end and one defensive lineman and it's the 21st. 

Because they swore for years he was terrible. You can't easily then go this guy sucks too. If this keeps up they will, eventually.

3 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

I’ll pass. I’d give the young guys a chance to duke it out. Brice & Evans are in their contract years & Jones could make a 2nd-yr jump. With all those options plus possible draft picks, there seems to be a decent chance of at least having a stopgap solution. Then the money you save could be used to pay for a CB via trade or future FA

CB market hasn't provided anyone much value. Burnett and Mathieu were pretty insane value. If you want to find value on the market this year, add a safety. Reid is a difference maker who could come at a value, that intrigues me. There are plenty of snaps for Jones like there was when Morgan was starting last year. Marwin Evans is a ST player. We'll see what Brice is.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

Because they swore for years he was terrible. You can't easily then go this guy sucks too. If this keeps up they will, eventually.

I think that's why so many people are so sensitive to negativity this offseason.  I think everybody expected/wanted us to go out and sign all these players and pull a Jacksonville and prove that Thompson sat on his hands.  Since that hasn't happened, they're anxious/nervous/angry that we've got gaping holes in the secondary and we haven't done anything about it.  It's almost like it's hard to get free agents to come to Green Bay, and it's even harder to when your QB takes up cap space. 

Just now, TransientTexan said:

I don’t necessarily think so. He let Lang, Jennings, & Jenkins walk and got rid of Sitton early. He let plenty of guys go when it came time for a 3rd contract. 

Go look at how he spoke about Nelson when he drafted him.  Jordy Nelson was a Thompson guy from the moment he was drafted, and he was always going to be a Thompson guy.  Jenkins was not a Thompson guy.  Jennings talked **** even while he was a Packer.  Sitton was a guard, which Thompson didn't put much positional value in. 

Archived