2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Locker room chemistry is important Leader.  Don't need guys to divide it.  Rodjahs is right.  We don't need controversy in GB or pitting players against each other over social issues.  I can live without such types and so can the Packers. Good luck to Reid he'll have a tough time finding a job the moron.  Guess he doesn't know where his bread is buttered.  No place in football for social justice issues or politics.  Look if a player feels strongly they can fight for causes on their own time and no one would get upset.  When they do it on the field they cross a line.  It's really pretty simple stuff here.  It's not the NFL's fault they did nothing wrong.  They owe the Black Lives movement nothing.  They did try to buy the players off which was a mistake so Reid is right about that.  Goodell is an idiot. All I am going to say on the matter.

I wish this forum had a dislike button. 

2 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Locker room chemistry is important Leader.  Don't need guys to divide it.  Rodjahs is right.  We don't need controversy in GB or pitting players against each other over social issues.  I can live without such types and so can the Packers. Good luck to Reid he'll have a tough time finding a job the moron.  Guess he doesn't know where his bread is buttered.  No place in football for social justice issues or politics.  Look if a player feels strongly they can fight for causes on their own time and no one would get upset.  When they do it on the field they cross a line.  It's really pretty simple stuff here.  It's not the NFL's fault they did nothing wrong.  They owe the Black Lives movement nothing.  They did try to buy the players off which was a mistake so Reid is right about that.  Goodell is an idiot. All I am going to say on the matter.

History will look favorably on Reid and Kaepernick, and their current detractors will talk about how they supported them all along. 

Just like MLK and Muhammad Ali. 

4 hours ago, th87 said:

Really don't think so.  Twenty years from now, nobody will even remember Kaepernick's name.  If this was Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers or a QB that was actually good doing this, yeah, but Kaepernick was never all that good.  Nobody's gonna remember a QB with a career best season of a 91 passer rating. 

5 hours ago, th87 said:

History will look favorably on Reid and Kaepernick, and their current detractors will talk about how they supported them all along. 

Except that MLK promoted love, peace and equality. Whereas Kaep wears Fidel Castro garb and ironically speaks out against oppression and promotes what has become a very hateful rhetoric. History will forget Kaepernick, he should never be compared to MLK.

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Really don't think so.  Twenty years from now, nobody will even remember Kaepernick's name.  If this was Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers or a QB that was actually good doing this, yeah, but Kaepernick was never all that good.  Nobody's gonna remember a QB with a career best season of a 91 passer rating. 

Yes, CK had one memorable season when his legs fooled defenses.  If he was any good he wouldn't be unemployed.  Vick actually went to prison but found work for another team after his release.

How Kaepernick will be remembered and talked about is entirely dependent on what cable news station you watch, which probably doesn't say good things about the chance of it being remembered 20+ years from now. 

Deadspin and the like were bashing the NFL because Johnny Manziel had a workout and Kaepernick didn't a few weeks ago. Fox reports on the kneeling players like they are borderline national traitors. It's a crazy world we live in. 

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Yes, CK had one memorable season when his legs fooled defenses.  If he was any good he wouldn't be unemployed.  Vick actually went to prison but found work for another team after his release.

This is where I think there's a distinction that needs to be made. The NFL has no morals. The seriousness of the offense barely matters, only the cash flow interruption. The league isn't even apologetic about that. All of their rhetoric isn't about not commiting crimes, it's about "tarnishing the shield".

So long as you don't hurt the bottom line of the league, you get another shot. For all of Vick being a sociopathic **** who callously passed on STDs and heinously abused animals, his actions never actively hurt the league's bottom line and if anything turned eyes towards the league. PETA types don't make up the NFL's base.

Kaepernick pissed off the NFL's demographic base and turned some away. In a world with declining media viewing that was a mortal sin among NFL owners.

If you want to know why Eric Reid isn't signed, it's because the NFL owners made a deal with the players coalition. They would donate 89 million dollars to social justice causes. In exchange, the players would quit it with the kneeling and the protesting that was pissing off older white conservatives who don't understand nuance like Scoremore. 

Reid refused to stop protesting. He didn't play ball so he gets to sit. I won't go so far as to say it's actually collusion, but considering the demographics of the NFL owners, they probably look at this situation in a very similar way. Or more likely it's collusion.

Borderline pro bowlers like Bennett get a longer leash, but run of the mill starters and backup quality guys get to sit. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yeah, it's true.  Kaepernick killed any chance of being remembered the day he tried defending Fidel Castro.  Also, I don't know why people forget this, but Kaepernick opted out of his contract with the Niners.  He wasn't cut, his contract didn't end, he opted out.  I don't think his kneeling was as offensive as some people think it was, but I also don't think it made him some huge martyr or that what he did was all that profound.  It's tough to be a martyr when you get paid hundreds of thousands of dollars on the same day you kneel for an anthem. 

It just gets me when people think what he did was wildly heroic or anything close to it.  He basically just threw a temper tantrum.  The saying is, "Stand for something," not "Kneel" or "Sit for something."  Everything about what he did seemed disingenuous from the start.  He started the whole thing when he was riding the bench instead of the starter and it looked an awful lot like he was just pouting.  It wasn't until after the game that he said he was doing it for social justice. 

Then his girlfriend goes and insults the one former player who was trying to help Kaepernick and the one NFL owner who was trying to add him to his team. 

Kaepernick being remembered like MLK and Ali?  That's a slap in the face to MLK and Ali. 

Rosa Parks "sat for something," and I'm old enough to remember that. MLK was acceptable to The Establishment until he spoke out against the Viet Nam war. Then he was terminated. Protest and whistle blowing takes many forms, by many different kinds of people, but it always takes courage. The path to equality and social justice has been a long and bloody one (literally), and we're not there yet. Having been the victim myself of blow back after reporting serial abuse, I would never diminish the efforts, ANY EFFORT, of ANYONE who tries to make this a better world, not for the millionaires, but for the least among us, especially for the least among us. Today we're celebrating Easter. I think the guy whose life and death we're celebrating would agree with that. JC wasn't crucified for sucking up to the Romans. He was terminated for protesting against the Romans' abuse of the poor and dispossessed. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Rosa Parks "sat for something," and I'm old enough to remember that. MLK was acceptable to The Establishment until he spoke out against the Viet Nam war. Then he was terminated. Protest and whistle blowing takes many forms, by many different kinds of people, but it always takes courage. The path to equality and social justice has been a long and bloody one (literally), and we're not there yet. Having been the victim myself of blow back after reporting serial abuse, I would never diminish the efforts, ANY EFFORT, of ANYONE who tries to make this a better world, not for the millionaires, but for the least among us, especially for the least among us. Today we're celebrating Easter. I think the guy whose life and death we're celebrating would agree with that. JC wasn't crucified for sucking up to the Romans. He was terminated for protesting against the Romans' abuse of the poor and dispossessed. 

You would never diminish any effort of anyone to make things better? Regardless of how misguided or ineffective it turned out to be? 

Well at least I now know how you feel on the Damarious Randall Trade and the Kyle Fuller Offer sheet. 

Image result for ba dum tss gif

See that mods, trying to get things back on football. 

13 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

His suck to distraction ratio makes him not signable.  Just like Tebow.  If he's being persecuted against with millions of dollars having been paid to him, I'll sign up to be persecuted 7 days a week. 

I agree with this. The talent/distraction ratio is essentially what all teams look at when deciding whether to pull the trigger or not. Only upper tier starters and better, should be able to persuade teams to look past bad behaviour.

Drafted players might grow up, causing the distraction side to lessen or disappear (which = bargain if they can play), but many character risks just cannot get out of their own way, even when given multiple chances/warnings/benchings. Repeat offender veterans are probably viewed only as a one-year stopgap when picked up (at least they probably are when they are taken).

I'd much rather take a chance on a bad-boy who has just one big stupid error than someone who has a pattern of bad behaviour, even if each indiscretion was less serious than the one big mistake.

Archived