2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

Just now, CWood21 said:

IF Washington tags Kirk Cousins, the only think he can do to force the issue is to sign the franchise tag.  And that's questionable about whether or not he'd do that, because as soon as he signs the tag he no longer gets that UFA he so desperately wants.  IF he doesn't sign the tag, and Washington ends up negotiating a deal with a FA they rescind the franchise tag and Cousins gets his UFA as he wanted.

agree, so Cousins holds the cards in how things will transpire.  WAS has very little leverage in the process and thus has more to lose in tagging Cousins vs what they can gain.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

agree, so Cousins holds the cards in how things will transpire.  WAS has very little leverage in the process and thus has more to lose in tagging Cousins vs what they can gain.

But let's say the worst case scenario happens for Washington, and he signs the tag.  Now what?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

But let's say the worst case scenario happens for Washington, and he signs the tag.  Now what?

WAS is paying $57M for the QB position, has no way to add FA without cutting players.  

Cousins collects $35M but loses out on playing the 2018 season...unless he agrees to a long term deal with a team that WAS can work out a trade with.  In that scenario, both Cousins and the other teams know that WAS is hamstrung by the situation, so why would a team offer a lot for Cousins.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

If Cousins signs the tag, Alex Smith backs out of the contract agreement he made and that trade falls apart.  I see know reason Washington would want to tag Cousins a third time.  The risk of it backfiring is too great.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

WAS is paying $57M for the QB position, has no way to add FA without cutting players.  

Cousins collects $35M but loses out on playing the 2018 season...unless he agrees to a long term deal with a team that WAS can work out a trade with.  In that scenario, both Cousins and the other teams know that WAS is hamstrung by the situation, so why would a team offer a lot for Cousins.

Ok...now let's say they want to dump him at any cost, what team would be willing to use up $35M of their cap space to acquire Kirk Cousins for a year?

2 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

If Cousins signs the tag, Alex Smith backs out of the contract agreement he made and that trade falls apart.  I see know reason Washington would want to tag Cousins a third time.  The risk of it backfiring is too great.

It's already done.  You can't back out of a contract extension.  It just hasn't been passed by the NFL since the league year hasn't started yet.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Ok...now let's say they want to dump him at any cost, what team would be willing to use up $35M of their cap space to acquire Kirk Cousins for a year?

Teams that have cap space and feel they are a QB away from being a playoff contender.   

How is it a contract extension.

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

It's already done.  You can't back out of a contract extension.  It just hasn't been passed by the NFL since the league year hasn't started yet.

The trade didn't officially happen either so it could fall apart.  It's not likely but do you think Washington wants two disgruntled QBs on their roster?  I just think this is all just talk from a talking head.  They won't tag Cousins IMHO

Just now, squire12 said:

Teams that have cap space and feel they are a QB away from being a playoff contender.   

So you're talking about four or five teams.  Looking at the teams who have $35M in cap space right now, and a need at QB you have (in no particular order): Cleveland, NY Jets, and Minnesota.  Those are the teams who already have the available cap space, and need at QB.  You've got Denver ($26M), Jacksonville ($23M), and Buffalo ($29M) who are "close" enough to that $35M threshold that they could make moves needed to add him.  That artificially creates a market for Kirk Cousins.  Worst case scenario, they essentially salary dump him on a team like Cleveland or New York.  So assuming those six teams are players for Cousins, at what point does the last competitor chicken out?  That's the variable.  My argument is that as long as the Redskins receive a 2018 4th round pick, that's a win for the Redskins.

Just now, eyecatcher said:

How is it a contract extension.

The trade didn't officially happen either so it could fall apart.  It's not likely but do you think Washington wants two disgruntled QBs on their roster?  I just think this is all just talk from a talking head.  They won't tag Cousins IMHO

They signed a new contract, but the new contract doesn't kick in until after the new year.  That's why the Packers signing Davante Adams and Corey Linsley to extension had to happen before the end of the season.  Think of it this way, the contract that the Redskins and Alex Smith signed is currently sitting in the NFL office waiting for approval.  That approval won't happen until the new league year begins.

15 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

They signed a new contract, but the new contract doesn't kick in until after the new year.  That's why the Packers signing Davante Adams and Corey Linsley to extension had to happen before the end of the season.  Think of it this way, the contract that the Redskins and Alex Smith signed is currently sitting in the NFL office waiting for approval.  That approval won't happen until the new league year begins.

I get that but the trade can't be official until March 14th so how can he 'sign" a contract extension?  The trade is also sitting their waiting for NFL approval.  So if they tag cousins and he signs it, and smith is also under contract, they will be 12 million over the cap before the draft.  Can/will the league approve the trade if that is the outcome? I'm asking because I don't understand it all.

21 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Why would Smith back out of that mega deal? That makes no sense. He knows Cousins isn't the guy the Redskins have chosen to start, he is.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Why would Smith back out of that mega deal? That makes no sense. He knows Cousins isn't the guy the Redskins have chosen to start, he is.

Because by spending 60 million on two QBs, the team is over the cap and can't improve elsewhere.  QB was not the problem with that team last year.  The o-line was awful and the d was below average.  Would you want to play in that mess?  

1 minute ago, eyecatcher said:

Because by spending 60 million on two QBs, the team is over the cap and can't improve elsewhere.  QB was not the problem with that team last year.  The o-line was awful and the d was below average.  Would you want to play in that mess?  

They aren't tagging him to keep him, they'll either trade him or rescind the tag. He won't be on the cap longer than the first day of FA if I had to guess.

23 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

I get that but the trade can't be official until March 14th so how can he 'sign" a contract extension?  The trade is also sitting their waiting for NFL approval.  So if they tag cousins and he signs it, and smith is also under contract, they will be 12 million over the cap before the draft.  Can/will the league approve the trade if that is the outcome? I'm asking because I don't understand it all.

Because you can sign a contract and it not execute until a later date.  It's still considered a binding contract since both parties signed it.  They're not over the cap with a franchise tag AND extension last I checked.

Archived