2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

10 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Well, according to Colin Cowherd, “The Packers Super Bowl window has closed!”  He goes on to state that there’s several other teams in the NFC with better coaches, better personnel, great QB’s, and much stronger defenses than GB, in spite of AR’s greatness.  He thinks Philly, LA, Saints, Minny, even San Fran are top to bottom better than GB, and for that reason, most top FA’s won’t want to go to GB.  Obvious hatred of Cowherd aside, comment on his statement with something other than “rubbish”.  Does he make a fair point and are we too passionate about our team to see the writing on the wall, or, is he wrong because.....?

Honestly, I don't listen to what Cowher says much anymore.  Pretty much says things for shock value.  Are we as Packers fans probably a bit too optimistic on our team?  Probably, but as long as Aaron Rodgers is playing at a high level, we're a contender.  Philadelphia and Minnesota likely aren't going anywhere anytime soon.  Los Angeles seems likely to stick around as well.  The Saints are a mixed bag, but as long as Drew Brees is under contract they should be good.  I don't buy the San Francisco hype, other than getting behind Jimmy G.

1 hour ago, ArthurPensky said:

No. Things can turn around quickly in the NFL with one good offseason. Two years ago Philly was 7-9.

Bingo.  And thanks for actually answering the question instead of opining about Cowherd.  You get an A plus for reading comprehension. 

11 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

Well, according to Colin Cowherd, “The Packers Super Bowl window has closed!”  He goes on to state that there’s several other teams in the NFC with better coaches, better personnel, great QB’s, and much stronger defenses than GB, in spite of AR’s greatness.  He thinks Philly, LA, Saints, Minny, even San Fran are top to bottom better than GB, and for that reason, most top FA’s won’t want to go to GB.  Obvious hatred of Cowherd aside, comment on his statement with something other than “rubbish”.  Does he make a fair point and are we too passionate about our team to see the writing on the wall, or, is he wrong because.....?

He's a clown, but he might be right.  We really need a masterful offseason to get ourselves back in the hunt, or we could slip into mediocrity.  As for free agency I think the players will go where the money takes them.  I would think Pettine's attack style defense would be appealing to free agents, and Rodgers has obvious appeal on the offensive side.  I do think all of those teams listed are probably better, or at least on par with the current Packers.  If we can put a strong defense on the field we leap frog a bunch of these teams.

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

He's openly said he trolls our fans because we get so upset on radio before. Lol

Thank gawd for the ignore feature, you can make the troll-ables go away with a few hundred clicks of the mouse.....:)  

As far as  FA's, the list of available players is kinda thin, but more will be coming soon. Unfortunately,  the amount of cap chasing them is immense

So GB might have to look at guys currently under contract who could be pried loose for a draft pick. The Rams are deep in talks to sign Aaron Donald and they  already have an immense amount invested in their front 7 before they ink Donald. ( per OTC positional spending)

There might be an opportunity to pry loose a guy like Robert Quinn and bring him to GB. I think he'd fit as the 3rd OLB and interior rusher in the pressure package, especially since Pettine says he advocates utilizing a multiple front ( 3-4 / 4-3)

Quinn's current cap hit is about $11M-12M year and he's signed through 2019. IF the Packers feel they can't get the EDGE they want at 14, perhaps trading for a vet is an option. Rams are currently without a 2nd rounder, they shipped that to Beefalo for Sammy Watkins ( who is a FA and will eat some Rams cap space too)

https://overthecap.com/player/robert-quinn/1343/

12 hours ago, Joe said:
On 2/14/2018 at 11:05 AM, JBURGE25 said:

Stanton? Fitzpatrick? McCown? I would take any of those 3 in a heartbeat. Just hard to see a vet backup QB wanting to go to Wisconsin. Stanton in Arizona, Fitz in Florida, McCown in New York....

and they're all old AF... I get the idea of a "veteran" QB as a back-up, but c'mon...

Yeah they're old AF that's why they'd be cheap lol. I feel WAY more comfortable with Fitzpatrick coming in in the middle of the game than I do Hundley at this point. 

13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

He's wrong because he hasn't been right about anything.  His job is to throw out 'click' bait which you obviously fell for.

The NFL is based on competitive balance. That's what the draft and free agency is all about.  We need our QB back and then we need to execute.  We'll be fine.  Minnesota? San Fran?  I just wet myself laughing!

13 hours ago, Sasquatch said:

"You wanna know what I see, Kent? I see a slow news day with nothing to fill it." - Arnie Pie in the sky

Couldn't you make this argument for most teams any given year.  Let's follow Colin's logic: Jacksonville was 3-13 in 2016 and pretty much all of the AFC was better than the Jaguars.  They've been a bad team for a while.  Therefore no free agent would want to sign with Jacksonville since they're a bad team.  In reality they signed a good crop of free agents in 2017 that contributed to their playoff run.  Teams rise and fall.  Players come and go. Blowhards like Cowherd say things like this every year. Turn, turn, turn...  

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, I don't listen to what Cowher says much anymore.  Pretty much says things for shock value.  Are we as Packers fans probably a bit too optimistic on our team?  Probably, but as long as Aaron Rodgers is playing at a high level, we're a contender.  Philadelphia and Minnesota likely aren't going anywhere anytime soon.  Los Angeles seems likely to stick around as well.  The Saints are a mixed bag, but as long as Drew Brees is under contract they should be good.  I don't buy the San Francisco hype, other than getting behind Jimmy G.

Kind of looking to go off this explanation a little more. For years it has always been "these teams are better top to bottom than the Green Bay Packers" and we are going to have a tough time, our time has passed, etc. It was the Giants, then San Francisco, Seattle, Arizona, then Dallas, Atlanta, now it's Philly, MN, again back to San Francisco. There have always been teams people say are better than the Packers top to bottom, but GB has always been right there competing/beating them (as long as 12 is healthy). Seattle and Arizona are "down" a little now, Philly and MN are up. It isn't any different than any other year, just some teams rising as others are on the decline. This year will be no different than any other year in the past 7 years, as long as Rodgers stays healthy. And if Pettine can do something with that defense, there certainly won't be any questions about who is at the top. 

He is wrong because before jimmy g... 9ers were on life support. Now they are better then a team and coaching staff that has gone to the playoffs 9 years in a row and would of been 10 if not for one injury.

Ultimately “windows” is an outdated view point in football. Injuries and just the general randomness of the game make windows hard to define. Best way is by QBs. As long as Rodgers is on Green Bay, healthy and playing at his level... the window will never be closed.

Heck look at the teams this year in the championship. 3 franchises know more for their losing (Vikings, eagles, and jags). Was a weird year... and unless you’re the browns, any team can quickly change their luck around with a few good moves.

21 hours ago, CWood21 said:

It's not that I don't like Burton, I just think it limits us to what we're able to do schematically.  From what I've seen, he doesn't really offer much in terms of in-line blocking.

I don't think an in-line blocking TE who can also catch is as important as having a versatile receiving threat.  We need a better threat than Kendricks, blocking be damned.

Happy to run Jones/Williams in shotgun with the TE flexed out to keep his man away from the front rather than trying to find a guy who can block and can't catch or get open.

Just now, jleisher said:

A couple names to think about,  RG3 and Kaepernick.  Would it be worth giving them a shot?  Dirt cheap, no risk.  I would.

I think if I knew you in person I would stop talking to you about football.  RG3?  Are you serious or are you trolling? 

48 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think if I knew you in person I would stop talking to you about football.  RG3?  Are you serious or are you trolling? 

Dude, can't you just chill out with the way you talk to people? Always so confrontational. Its someone who disagrees with you a football website. Bigger fish to fry in life.

1 hour ago, jleisher said:

A couple names to think about,  RG3 and Kaepernick.  Would it be worth giving them a shot?  Dirt cheap, no risk.  I would.

I would take Kaep if it wasn't for the circus that would follow him. I don't want a divided locker room

Archived