2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

2 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I very rarely advocate letting vets walk in favor of unproven rooks, especially at a position like CB and especially when AR12 is my QB. Now if he's an overated/overpaid player, fine, move on, but Tramon was arguably our most consistent CB from 2010-2014 and we didnt let him go because he got $12 million elsewhere, we let him go because we drafted Quinton Rollins, a guy who had 0 NFL snaps. That's the painful part.

So you're telling me you had no qualms about re-signing Tramon Williams despite the fact that he was routinely beat by any WR who had halfway decent speed?  I find that real hard to believe.  He might have been our most consistent CB from 2010-2014, but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't have a ton of speed to lose and when it starts to go those kind of players don't age well.  Honestly, it's no different than Al Harris back int he day.  You don't pay $12M for an aging cornerback who can't afford to lose speed.  It's bad business.  The Packers made the right move.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

So you're telling me you had no qualms about re-signing Tramon Williams despite the fact that he was routinely beat by any WR who had halfway decent speed?  I find that real hard to believe.  He might have been our most consistent CB from 2010-2014, but that doesn't change the fact that he didn't have a ton of speed to lose and when it starts to go those kind of players don't age well.  Honestly, it's no different than Al Harris back int he day.  You don't pay $12M for an aging cornerback who can't afford to lose speed.  It's bad business.  The Packers made the right move.

I don't recall him being routinely beaten...maybe I just don't remember. I do recall his last play as a Packer giving up the TD pass in OT to Kearse but it was damn good coverage and simply a perfectly thrown ball by Wilson.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, he talks about wanting to play for a contender but his first visit is to San Francisco.  Something about that doesn't add up.  I mean, I get he might prefer to play on the West Coast but how many legitimate contenders are there on the West Coast?  The Rams and Raiders are probably the best bet to hit both of those needs, and I'm not sure the Rams are going to be interested with the addition of Marcus Peters.

SF is possibly 2nd best team in the NFC west.   They have a QB,  lots of cap space and high draft picks. They could be sneaky contenders .

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

SF is possibly 2nd best team in the NFC west.   They have a QB,  lots of cap space and high draft picks. They could be sneaky contenders .

That's not exactly a high bar to clear.  I mean, Seattle is crumbling in upon itself.  Arizona sucks.  And Los Angeles needs to prove it's more than a flash in the pan.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's not exactly a high bar to clear.  I mean, Seattle is crumbling in upon itself.  Arizona sucks.  And Los Angeles needs to prove it's more than a flash in the pan.

Yup, and GB is competing with a MIN team fresh off an NFC title game that has lots of core players returning and 60M in cap space to get a QB.

Just now, squire12 said:

Yup, and GB is competing with a MIN team fresh off an NFC title game that has lots of core players returning and 60M in cap space to get a QB.

Until Minnesota gets their QB situation cleared up, they're not this big threat.  And part of me hopes they throw crazy cash at Keenum.  He's not going to repeat his 2017 numbers, I feel fairly confident saying that.

Just now, squire12 said:

A team that likely adds Cousins in about a week as well. 

Just now, CWood21 said:

Until Minnesota gets their QB situation cleared up, they're not this big threat.  And part of me hopes they throw crazy cash at Keenum.  He's not going to repeat his 2017 numbers, I feel fairly confident saying that.

Until GB gets its 2-4 CB figured out, they are not much either

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

That's exactly what they should do .. big press corner ... would be a nice addition and help solidify a weak spot.  I think they need to sign two FA corners, and then draft another.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I find that I've got more faith that the Packers can fix their CB situation significantly easier than the Vikings can.

Finding 3 CB is easier than 1 QB?

Given the respective resources each has to work with

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Finding 3 CB is easier than 1 QB?

Given the respective resources each has to work with

I think you're stretching it a bit.  Sign one in FA (Trumaine Johnson), draft one semi-high (Carlton Davis/Isaiah Oliver in the 2nd), and draft one in the mid-rounds and I'm pretty pleased with my CB depth chart that point.  Kirk Cousins is the only QB that improves the Vikings for 2018, and I'm not sure how signing him is a good move long-term, especially when they have so many key players who need to be extended.

Archived