2018 Free Agency - Prospects for GB

Sasquatch

32 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Stanton? Fitzpatrick? McCown? I would take any of those 3 in a heartbeat.

I think your heart musta skipped a beat on Fitz.

I believe Fitz is all done being an NFL QB, even as a backup.  As a vet, he knows exactly what to do but he can no longer actually do it...

Bradford still wants a shot at starting ( per his agent)  and its likely that one of the teams who drafts a QB up top will grab him as a bridge QB to give the young guy a chance to acclimate. Arizona, Denver, NYJets and Cleveland are some options. Cleveland just tried to snag A. Smith so we know that's their strategy

I also noted that DL Muhammad Wilkerson will be cut free, it'll be interesting to see what kind of coin he garners. Adding him to the rotation with Clark and Daniels makes some sense, but he has cranial concerns and likely will be too expensive for GB

3 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:
48 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

Stanton? Fitzpatrick? McCown? I would take any of those 3 in a heartbeat.

I think your heart musta skipped a beat on Fitz.

I believe Fitz is all done being an NFL QB, even as a backup.  As a vet, he knows exactly what to do but he can no longer actually do it...

Bradford still wants a shot at starting ( per his agent)  and its likely that one of the teams who drafts a QB up top will grab him as a bridge QB to give the young guy a chance to acclimate. Arizona, Denver, NYJets and Cleveland are some options. Cleveland just tried to snag A. Smith so we know that's their strategy

I still think Fitz was ok in his few games this year. Better than Hundley. I think he could stick for a couple more years. 

I didn't mention Bradford, I think him and Teddy will both take jobs where they can start, or in Teddy's case, at least compete. So I stick by my original Stanton, Fitz, or McCown as vets we could look at on 2 year deals. 

Kinda blows my mind people want us to spend money on a backup QB to be honest.  We are not the Eagles or the Vikings.  We will not be the Eagles or the Vikings next year.  If Rodgers is hurt and can't play in the playoffs, our season is over anyway.  Our road to a Super Bowl is directly tied to Aaron's health. 

Next year maybe it makes sense.  With our roster the way it is, it doesn't make sense.  Especially if it's any kind of contract that factors into any compensatory picks we might get. 

Just now, skibrett15 said:

Eifert will surely get a longer deal with more money GTD based on potential.   Jordan Cameron got 2 years 15 million after 1000x concussions.

If we want Eifert, he's gonna need more than a prove it deal.

I doubt it honestly.  After his last injury, there were articles up about him contemplating retirement.  Few teams are going to give him a really big multi-year deal.  His best bet at the most money this year is a big one year deal.  That's my guess. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Kinda blows my mind people want us to spend money on a backup QB to be honest.  We are not the Eagles or the Vikings.  We will not be the Eagles or the Vikings next year.  If Rodgers is hurt and can't play in the playoffs, our season is over anyway.  Our road to a Super Bowl is directly tied to Aaron's health. 

Next year maybe it makes sense.  With our roster the way it is, it doesn't make sense.  Especially if it's any kind of contract that factors into any compensatory picks we might get. 

What? How can you say that after this year? Rodgers rushed back because we couldn't win without him, but he could have come back for week 17 or 18 healthier if we were able to be .500 or even slightly under without him. We still very much had a shot at the playoffs. I would much rather sacrifice $2m of our salary cap to have a backup QB that won't fall on his face the way Hundley did

Just now, JBURGE25 said:

What? How can you say that after this year? Rodgers rushed back because we couldn't win without him, but he could have come back for week 17 or 18 healthier if we were able to be .500 or even slightly under without him. We still very much had a shot at the playoffs. I would much rather sacrifice $2m of our salary cap to have a backup QB that won't fall on his face the way Hundley did

I can say it just how I said it.  Unless we somehow draft the reincarnation of Reggie White and Charles Woodson in this coming draft, this roster is not going to be good enough to win a Super Bowl without Rodgers next year. 

If it's a matter of GETTING to the playoffs, I'm still unsure why I'm the only one who sees Brett Hundley and realizes he did a lot of good things last year and that the playing time he got is going to be wildly beneficial.  Sometimes a QB just has to get all that crap out of the way.  Jared Goff's first season was crap.  Alex Smith's first season was crap.  Blaine Gabbert has become an alright backup after a horrible start to his career.  Nick Foles wasn't all that great as a backup in his first attempt.  Look at him now.  Case Keenum was crap as a backup.  Ryan Fitzpatrick as a backup had similar numbers to Hundley.

It's just ironic to me how literally every player people are suggesting we sign as a backup had crap first years as a backup.  Stanton, Fitzpatrick and McCown were the names brought up. 

Fitzpatrick's first start as a backup - 0 TD, 1 INT, 58 QB rating.
Stanton's first start as a backup - 0 TD, 3 INT, 31 QB rating.
McCown's first start as a backup - 0 TD, 1 INT, 60 QB rating. 

Guess what... Backups suck at first.  It's why they're a backup. 

Once again, I'm the one that's crazy.  Just like I was crazy when I suggested we'd be fine at guard when we cut Sitton.  Just like I was crazy when I was the one who suggested we'd re-sign Bakhtiari and that we even should re-sign Bakhtiari.  Just like I was crazy when I said we'd be fine at guard when we didn't bring Lang back.  I swear sometimes I feel like one person says, "This person sucks," and then everybody just accepts the mentality as Gospel.

Trevor Davis sucked heading into this season.  He effing sucked as a punt returner.  You can go back and look and literally everybody said I was crazy for suggesting Davis shouldn't get cut, and that he should be our punt returner.  What happens?  Davis is top five in punt return yards and average.  I was effing crazy.

Brett Hundley is going to be our backup next year.  The only way he isn't our backup next year is if he gets traded.  All the arguments about how he sucks and blah blah blah don't matter because he's going to be our backup next year.  The quicker you accept it, the less disappointed you'll be. 

Just now, Shanedorf said:

Spending  2 million won't buy a damn thing

Drew Stanton last 3 seasons in AZ: Passer ratings of 22, 39, 66.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StanDr00.htm

You've got a really bad case of the hundleys, might wanna see a doctor before it festers   :)

Don't you know that every backup is Nick Foles except for Hundley? 

I'm firmly on the just roll with Hundley train, unless someone like a Bradford or Keenum just decides they want to be a backup and chase rings for 2-3m a year.

A good backup is going to cost you 5-7m a year. That's one less player who will see the field regularly that won't be on the roster because of our backup QB.

@HorizontoZenith Why such a long post when I'm at work...

Not every backup is Foles obviously and today I wouldn't want to pay $5.5m for a backup. Philly and Minnesota's situations are the anomalies, not the norm. If you are going to sit behind your keyboard and tell me that Hundley is a comparable option to Josh McCown and Ryan Fitzpatrick, two vets with years of experience as an NFL starter, then so be it. I can't argue with that logic, or lack thereof. Don't post 1 game of their backup QB career when they have been in the NFL for and 15 and 12 years. 

I want someone like Chase Daniel. I'm not looking for a miracle SuperBowl MVP miracle performance from the backup, but I'd like a QB that can actually run our offense. 

I'm also not asking for someone who is young and expected to be bad as a backup. Obviously that's why they're backups. I'm talking about a vet who won't start anywhere because we know what they are and they're willing to be a backup at this stage in their career. Fitzpatrick took a 1 year $3m deal to be in Tampa. I would pay him that

2 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I want someone like Chase Daniel.

In 2015, the Chiefs paid him $ 10 million. In 2016, he signed a 3 year $ 21 million deal with Philly, collected $12 million in one season before they moved on

Glennon got $ 15 million from the bears. Its a royal bummer, but its just the current reality for a decent vet

You can't buy squat for $ 2 million and to spend more than that takes a player off the field for a guy sitting on the bench as PR noted above. The one way to make it work is to sign a vet for $10-15 million and use him as back-up for a year, then trade him for a high pick like Bradford or Smith. But it takes a big chunk of cap to do it, and neither of those guys would consider GB because they have no chance to start. Chase had a chance in Philly and Bradford had a chance in minny

The best way to handle this might be to teach AR to throw the damn ball away and live for another play.

The Wolf Way

One of the team building tenets from Ron Wolf was that you draft the offense so they all grow together and use FA and trades to bolster the defense. Part of that was because of the relative size of the playbooks - it was theoretically easier to patch on defense than on offense

If Das Gute follows that philosophy, then we'd expect some action on the FA side to bolster the defense. I think Pettine needs/wants/deserves a signature move here - somebody akin to Reggie/Woodson/Peppers. Might not even be a FA, could be an older player on a team in the midst of a rebuild. But this defense needs somebody who moves the needle and it would give Pettine the leadership he needs to succeed.

12 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:
26 minutes ago, JBURGE25 said:

I want someone like Chase Daniel.

In 2015, the Chiefs paid him $ 10 million. In 2016, he signed a 3 year $ 21 million deal with Philly, collected $12 million in one season before they moved on

Glennon got $ 15 million from the bears. Its a royal bummer, but its just the current reality for a decent vet

You can't buy squat for $ 2 million and to spend more than that takes a player off the field for a guy sitting on the bench as PR noted above. The one way to make it work is to sign a vet for $10-15 million and use him as back-up for a year, then trade him for a high pick like Bradford or Smith. But it takes a big chunk of cap to do it, and neither of those guys would consider GB because they have no chance to start. Chase had a chance in Philly and Bradford had a chance in minny

The best way to handle this might be to teach AR to throw the damn ball away and live for another play.

Chase Daniels just signed a vet min contract with the Saints to be a backup. I appreciate I said Chase Daniels specifically, but I think you realize I don't want him at $10m a year. He was also signed by Philly as a contingency starter, so that's a different situation, we're not potentially drafting a QB and needing to play Chase for a year as the starter. 

Again, Fitzpatrick signed a $3m deal with the Bucs to be a backup with a QB ingrained as the starter. Mine Glennon was not signed as a backup. Once again, I am talking about vets who will accept a backup position in the twilight of their career, not a QB off a rookie contract looking to start a la Daniels in KC and Glennon in Chicago

Archived