Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

12 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

To be at its best by mid season wouldn’t surprise me, but with the talent the team is carrying on the offense, I still expect above average play without a doubt. 

I'm not sure what to expect from DeFilippo's game planning or play calling. Coordinating under Pederson in Philly for 1 season may have been simply steering the Head Coach's ship, much like the first year being Zim's defensive coordinator. That was Zim's defense most definitely. I do share some of your optimism about some degree of offensive success, but the main reason for my optimism is attributed to the high quality of our skill position players. Like Krauser (& others), I do have concern about our o-line, but am hopeful we see improvement as some of the younger players develop.

5 hours ago, DisplacedViking said:

I'm not sure what to expect from DeFilippo's game planning or play calling. Coordinating under Pederson in Philly for 1 season may have been simply steering the Head Coach's ship, much like the first year being Zim's defensive coordinator. That was Zim's defense most definitely. I do share some of your optimism about some degree of offensive success, but the main reason for my optimism is attributed to the high quality of our skill position players. Like Krauser (& others), I do have concern about our o-line, but am hopeful we see improvement as some of the younger players develop.

DeFilippo didn't coordinate under Pederson.  He was the QB coach.  Reich was the OC.  If DeFilippo had waited about 2 weeks, he likely would have been promoted to OC.  

40 minutes ago, disaacs said:

DeFilippo didn't coordinate under Pederson.  He was the QB coach.  Reich was the OC.  If DeFilippo had waited about 2 weeks, he likely would have been promoted to OC.  

I stand corrected, thank you. That actually makes me know even less about "his" offense. Great, more reason to worry!

6 minutes ago, DisplacedViking said:

I stand corrected, thank you. That actually makes me know even less about "his" offense. Great, more reason to worry!

:P  I wouldn't worry too much...he did have 1 season of coordinating experience, unfortunately it was in Cleveland under Pettine.  It's really difficult to know how he will coordinate in-game because of that, but that was probably the main difference between him and Stefanski getting the job because he had that 1 year.    

1 hour ago, disaacs said:

But DeFilippo did design the plays/gameplan, and call the plays in the red zone for the Eagles. 

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

Here’s putting two and two together that I never thought about, maybe it’s been brought up here before......

Deflippo is a Redzone Expert.... Cousins is not, I wonder if his creativity and experience could really help Cousins or not?

And remember, DeFilippo had a big part in choosing Cousins, so there's obviously confidence that he can help.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Here’s putting two and two together that I never thought about, maybe it’s been brought up here before......

Deflippo is a Redzone Expert.... Cousins is not, I wonder if his creativity and experience could really help Cousins or not?

having Dalvin Cook can't hurt either.

22 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Or a Thielen, Diggs, and a Rudolph!

I hope to see a lot of formation variations all over the field, especially in the red zone. The Eagles were very unpredictable in the red zone last year, and effective. Power formations with Latavius and O'Neill as an extra tackle eligible perhaps? 3 wides with Cook as the lone rb with rudy tight? Seems like Flip has plenty of chess pieces to play with. I can't wait!

From Bryan Droz (@bryan_droz): What sort of offensive strategy do you see the Vikings with a new OC implementing?

I see John DeFilippo—who was part of retrofitting the Eagles offense on the fly through the Carson Wentz/Nick Foles transition last year—building the offense specifically for Kirk Cousins. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/06/28/franchise-tag-kirk-cousins-leveon-bell-demarcus-lawrence-ziggy-ansah-lamarcus-joyner

Archived