Vikings to hire John DeFilippo as OC

CriminalMind

26 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

It’ll be interesting if DeFilippo stays in the booth as OC, or if he comes down to the field level. Maybe that decision will come down to who the QB coach is?

What are the pros and cons (if any) to a coach sitting in the booth? I've wondered this for a while now.

7 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

What are the pros and cons (if any) to a coach sitting in the booth? I've wondered this for a while now.

Pro of the booth: it is often easier to see the field

Pro of the sideline: easier to communicate with the players

Cons: The pro of the alternative option

DeFilippo:  “It was an unbelievable day. How many guys can say they participated in a Super Bowl parade in the morning, and then became one of 32 play-callers in the National Football League that night? That’s a pretty good deal. It was a whirlwind, yes. But it was a whirlwind that was 100 percent worth it. Professionally and personally for my wife and I, I would say besides the day we got married, that was probably one of our better days as a married couple.”

"I had an opportunity this offseason to go to a bunch of different place. Obviously I interviewed for two head coaching jobs that went in another direction, and there were a few other opportunities to be an offensive coordinator in the league. But when the Minnesota Vikings want to talk to you, that’s a whole different ball game.”

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/DeFilippo-Describes-Whirlwind-of-Becoming-Vikings-Offensive-Coordinator/bbf46ff7-1946-4a7a-9bcb-ede322cba9c6?sf181752304=1

Did the Vikings just hire their next head coach?

Looking at how things played out this offseason, and seeing how hard the Vikings pursued DeFilippo, I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t an alterior motive for the hire. For a team that looks to be contending for the foreseeable future, it seems a bit odd to pursue someone with so little OC experience, and who is more likely than not a one and done coach before moving up the ranks. 

We saw the Vikings show considerable foresight with their coaching staff before, when they hired Pat Shurmur, a highly respected QB coach and solid offensive coordinator, as the tight ends coach. No one with any sense of logic believed that Shurmur joined the staff with the sole purpose of being the tight ends coach. Many expected him to be the heir apparent to Norv Turner. And while I don’t think anyone expected Norv to resign, retirement was certainly not out of the question. 

Zimmer will be 62 in June, and with a  notable health issue regarding his eye and vision, retirement in the next year or two certainly can’t be ruled out. So, could we be seeing similar foresight regarding the future of this team’s head coaching position? 

Zimmer:  “He has a track record of success and has proven to be a great teacher. We feel John will have good chemistry with our team and we are all eager to get to work.”

https://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Mike-Zimmer-says-new-Minnesota-Vikings-offensive-coordinator-John-DeFilippo-right-fit-great-teacher-114924271

Zimmer stressing that teaching/mentoring role he so respects.

8 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Did the Vikings just hire their next head coach?

Looking at how things played out this offseason, and seeing how hard the Vikings pursued DeFilippo, I can’t help but wonder if there isn’t an alterior motive for the hire. For a team that looks to be contending for the foreseeable future, it seems a bit odd to pursue someone with so little OC experience, and who is more likely than not a one and done coach before moving up the ranks. 

We saw the Vikings show considerable foresight with their coaching staff before, when they hired Pat Shurmur, a highly respected QB coach and solid offensive coordinator, as the tight ends coach. No one with any sense of logic believed that Shurmur joined the staff with the sole purpose of being the tight ends coach. Many expected him to be the heir apparent to Norv Turner. And while I don’t think anyone expected Norv to resign, retirement was certainly not out of the question. 

Zimmer will be 62 in June, and with a  notable health issue regarding his eye and vision, retirement in the next year or two certainly can’t be ruled out. So, could we be seeing similar foresight regarding the future of this team’s head coaching position? 

Zim has 2 years on his contract left. I’d we willing to bet he finishes that out. If we can hang onto DeFlippo there is a good possibility. Edwards would be right there to take over the defense. 

His eye issue didn’t seem to bother him much this year tho. 

DeFilippo called his father Thursday night to tell him about his new job.

“I don’t know when I’ve seen him any more excited than he was,” said Gene DeFilippo, a longtime college football coach and administrator who has been athletic director at Villanova and Boston College.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/09/vikings-new-coordinator-john-defilippo-looks-to-win-another-super-bowl/

gets to work with Zimmer

presumed autonomy over the offense

new stadium and new practice facilities/offices/meeting rooms

progressive ownership group

yeah, it's a good gig.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

DeFilippo called his father Thursday night to tell him about his new job.

“I don’t know when I’ve seen him any more excited than he was,” said Gene DeFilippo, a longtime college football coach and administrator who has been athletic director at Villanova and Boston College.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/02/09/vikings-new-coordinator-john-defilippo-looks-to-win-another-super-bowl/

gets to work with Zimmer

presumed autonomy over the offense

new stadium and new practice facilities/offices/meeting rooms

progressive ownership group

yeah, it's a good gig.

What does "progressive ownership group" mean? 

When you say that I think of the car insurance company lol

Just now, SteelKing728 said:

What does "progressive ownership group" mean? 

one that sees the bigger picture of what ownership's responsibility is:

**invest $$ in the team

**promote a community presence

**represent the team well at NFL meetings

**stay out of the way of the football professionals

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Zim has 2 years on his contract left. I’d we willing to bet he finishes that out. If we can hang onto DeFlippo there is a good possibility

I think it’s very possible that it plays out this way. 

While DeFilippo may be a hot head coaching candidate next year, if the Vikings designate him as Zimmer’s successor, he may be more willing to stay on for another year as OC. Take over a team at the top, rather than go try and build a team from the bottom. 

Archived