The Official Michigan Wolverines Thread

1King

1 hour ago, winitall said:

I agree. I've been pretty vocal on here about thinking that Michigan can't really do any better in the past, but these past two weeks have certainly changed things. Might eventually make a longer post about it, but the team is simply headed in the wrong direction. Offensively, they have more "great athlete" guys than I've ever seen at one time in the program, yet everything is just an absolute sludge. They simply can't get the ball to guys in a situation where they can succeed. Charbonnet and Corum both showed late in the game what happens when they get the ball with some room, missed tackles and positive yardage, yet they don't make that a focal point. Defensively, I'm not sure what to say. Linebacker play was supposed to be a strength and one of the best in the conference and it has felt like both Ross and McGrone have been just lost. I know McGrone graded out well on Brian's UFR against MSU, but he took a step back against Indiana upon first glance. The 4th down conversion right before IU's last score sticks out, Kemp either slants/gets washed down and McGrone doesn't see it quickly enough to fill the hole. Instead, he keeps heading down with Kemp which gives enough of a gap for the RB to pound through. At CB, Gemon Green has at least shown worthwhile improvement week to week, even if he is getting beat occasionally. The rest of the group has been pretty barren. On the DL, I actually don't think they have been *terrible* I just think the rest of the defensive side has been so bad that nothing they do is going to help. 

Yeah, it used to be that Harbaugh only lost to the teams with similar talent or more. But now, losing to an awful MSU team, and a good, but supremely less talented IU team, you have to ask if that's even the case anymore.

Offensively, they just don't use their talent in a productive way. They don't even try to get their playmakers the ball in space. They'll flare Evans out and then never throw to him while Charbonent tries to run into a stacked box because the pass isn't respected enough. I don't think Joe is the problem, but he obviously has some limitations right now that prevent the opposing D from taking the longer passing game seriously... but you have to be able to figure out a way to overcome that if you're the coaches, and they just don't.

Defensively, I just don't know what the future of this DL is once Kwity and Hutch leave. They are so clearly better than everyone else that they can try to cover for other mistakes, but that only gets you so far when the defense can't cover the ball downfield without interfering if the ball isn't thrown Dax Hill's way. McGrone has definitely been a disappointment because I still feel he just wants to run really fast at the LOS instead of reading the play. Still a bright future, but he's making the same mistakes as last year. Josh Ross just hasn't been nearly as good as he was in 2018, even now that he's back at WILL. The attempts at zone were just pitiful, so we're a one trick defense that can't even perform that trick anymore.

Just not clear what they want to do with this team because the parts are all clashing. Everything feels stale.

Edited by JammerHammer21

Yeah this feels like the end. I have said for years that I think Jim is a better fit for the pros than he is for the collegiate ranks and I think that's where he will end up after this season or next, someone is going to want him.

Frankly the thing that makes being this team tough right now, is the fact that the name isn't enough anymore, there's not enough recent success to compete for recruiting, and if we can nab a coach who can maybe beat OSU once with their class it could make a huge difference. As far as 'luster programs' I would say we are third or fourth in the conference right now for recruiting but the team just simply doesn't show up at times.

I think it's time to move on, I long said 'if not Jim then who?' but I think now I'm in the "We need to freshen things up a bit."

The time for Jim was after his time at Stanford, not after his time with the Niners. The downswing over his last few seasons didn't help him a ton, recent success at Stanford would have been a better momentum builder for recruiting purposes but I can't say he would have developed the talent anyway.

56 minutes ago, JoshstraDaymus said:

The time for Jim was after his time at Stanford, not after his time with the Niners. The downswing over his last few seasons didn't help him a ton, recent success at Stanford would have been a better momentum builder for recruiting purposes but I can't say he would have developed the talent anyway.

You are correct cause he would have brought Vic and Roman with him. Two stud coordinators. That has been the biggest issue with Harbs. His staff’s have been garbage. When he did get good assistants, they left the program. He had Vic and Roman with him at Stanford and SanFran. He left SanFran, they stayed in the NFL and have had more success than him since, IMO. 

I honestly don’t know what coach can get the program back on track, if Harbs couldnt

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

You are correct cause he would have brought Vic and Roman with him. Two stud coordinators. That has been the biggest issue with Harbs. His staff’s have been garbage. When he did get good assistants, they left the program. He had Vic and Roman with him at Stanford and SanFran. He left SanFran, they stayed in the NFL and have had more success than him since, IMO. 

I honestly don’t know what coach can get the program back on track, if Harbs couldnt

I don't think it is a case of getting back on track, I think it's a case of showing growth. While other programs have evolved (especially offensively) Michigan has very much stayed the same. Minus the time with Rich Rod going with spread option, we have been kind of a lame duck offense as far as what's offered. Most of the successful offenses are more like an air raid now, and that appeals to a lot of kids because let's be honest, they love them some 'me stats'

3 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Michigan gets destroyed by Wisconsin and gets crystal balls for 5* CB Will Johnson, and and might get some for Domani Jackson.

Fire... no one?

I think you can make the argument that letting Don Brown go and replacing Shoop might be enough if Michigan can capitalize on this very weird recruiting momentum. I don’t think any of the recruits are super close to Brown so a good DC hire that still plays a lot of man probably doesn’t hurt anything with the momentum. No real idea on DC names, anyone come to mind?

2 minutes ago, winitall said:

I think you can make the argument that letting Don Brown go and replacing Shoop might be enough if Michigan can capitalize on this very weird recruiting momentum. I don’t think any of the recruits are super close to Brown so a good DC hire that still plays a lot of man probably doesn’t hurt anything with the momentum. No real idea on DC names, anyone come to mind?

Yeah, I would definitely still replace Brown, and I'd say there's no way Shoop can stay (I'd replace Nua too). Not too sure on DCs either, but would hope Michigan makes a run at a guy like Tim Banks, Steve Clinkscale, or Donte Williams in the secondary, though I still think all would be longshots unless you give them at least a co-DC tag.

6 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Yeah, I would definitely still replace Brown, and I'd say there's no way Shoop can stay (I'd replace Nua too). Not too sure on DCs either, but would hope Michigan makes a run at a guy like Tim Banks, Steve Clinkscale, or Donte Williams in the secondary, though I still think all would be longshots unless you give them at least a co-DC tag.

If they could find a way to bring in Mike Elston and Donte Williams I would be a very happy person. 

1 minute ago, winitall said:

If they could find a way to bring in Mike Elston and Donte Williams I would be a very happy person. 

Yeah, Elston might be a name to watch if they give him the DC tag. I think Williams is a longshot, but assuming Harbaugh is staying, all starts with the extension being announced so that they can actually attract someone to the job.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Yeah, Elston might be a name to watch if they give him the DC tag. I think Williams is a longshot, but assuming Harbaugh is staying, all starts with the extension being announced so that they can actually attract someone to the job.

Yet none of this matters if they can’t find another DT for this class. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

That loss to MSU is just going to sting so much since it was so absurd. Should have been buried. And yet...

I’m going to keep holding out irrational hope that Michigan goes 4-4, MSU goes 1-7, and that the difference in records somehow convinces Benny to flip.