The Official Michigan Wolverines Thread

1King

On 12/18/2020 at 4:35 PM, JammerHammer21 said:

Would pretty much agree, though I might drop DB a little bit because the players are good, but they only have 2. Could definitely use a CB more than a safety overall.

Seems like they were worried about Allen's shoulder, and he's a bit redundant with Dixon and Anthony being similar types of receivers, but I do think he can be a solid player at Wisconsin

I can agree with dropping DB a bit, was a difficult one to grade. 2 good players, but I think you need to be taking at least 4 DBs each class, preferably 5. If they could only add 1 more, definitely a CB like you said. 

On Allen, I get that rationale. He is somewhat redundant. Even with that and the injury, I would still have liked to take him. I feel like out of those 3 players he has potentially the highest ceiling given his senior year and his age. 

1 hour ago, JammerHammer21 said:

lol still don't really know what I'm rooting for. Just anything that prevents Lance Anderson from running Michigan's defense

I’m fine with any of keeping Harbaugh*, hiring Matt Campbell, hiring Tony Elliott. 

*Assuming Jim actually cares enough to put a quality staff together. Lance Anderson would be terrible as would some of the other names thrown around. 

I will add, that I think the danger with Campbell is actually a lot like that of keeping Harbaugh: That they don’t put together a good enough staff. 

For Harbaugh, that looks like hiring someone like Lance Anderson and not materially improving things, with a downgrade more than likely. 

For Campbell, that looks like not taking advantage of the extra resources that Michigan has to offer. Chasing off guys like Warriner, Sherrone Moore, etc and replacing them with “his guys” that aren’t at that top tier. 

1 hour ago, winitall said:

I will add, that I think the danger with Campbell is actually a lot like that of keeping Harbaugh: That they don’t put together a good enough staff. 

For Harbaugh, that looks like hiring someone like Lance Anderson and not materially improving things, with a downgrade more than likely. 

For Campbell, that looks like not taking advantage of the extra resources that Michigan has to offer. Chasing off guys like Warriner, Sherrone Moore, etc and replacing them with “his guys” that aren’t at that top tier. 

Mick McCall at RB coach... *shudders*

No, I don't give him credit for Breece Hall

1 hour ago, winitall said:

The staff he would put together at Michigan wouldn’t be worst than the staff he has at Iowa St. that staff has done more with less than Michigan. Also sounds like he would be able to bring his whole staff. His whole Toledo coaching staff has pretty much followed him to Iowa St. with that, why do you need these big sexy name guys. Seems like the guys he has, know how to coach and seem to be pretty decent recruiters for Iowa St to pull some Decent recruiting class. They could also become Even better with a bigger recruiting budget. Also seems like Campbell has done well enough at his job thst once he goes to a blue blood other coaches will want to hitch their wagon to his 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

The staff he would put together at Michigan wouldn’t be worst than the staff he has at Iowa St. that staff has done more with less than Michigan. Also sounds like he would be able to bring his whole staff. His whole Toledo coaching staff has pretty much followed him to Iowa St. with that, why do you need these big sexy name guys. Seems like the guys he has, know how to coach and seem to be pretty decent recruiters for Iowa St to pull some Decent recruiting class. They could also become Even better with a bigger recruiting budget. Also seems like Campbell has done well enough at his job thst once he goes to a blue blood other coaches will want to hitch their wagon to his 

Campbell himself is a good coach, but even with his success, the recruiting is still lagging. They do a great job of identifying guys, but they need more guys who can close. Like yeah, they beat Oklahoma, but they also lost to Louisiana and got taken to OT by Georgia State.

As much as Michigan needs development, they also need to have the talent coming in. There isn't the patience to go 3-9 year 1 and build the program. Michigan fans want Harbaugh to hire a guy like Heacock anyways, but if Campbell were to come, he needs to take advantage of the resources and hire a few known recruiters to supplement his staff.

Just now, JammerHammer21 said:

Campbell himself is a good coach, but even with his success, the recruiting is still lagging. They do a great job of identifying guys, but they need more guys who can close. Like yeah, they beat Oklahoma, but they also lost to Louisiana and got taken to OT by Georgia State.

As much as Michigan needs development, they also need to have the talent coming in. There isn't the patience to go 3-9 year 1 and build the program. Michigan fans want Harbaugh to hire a guy like Heacock anyways, but if Campbell were to come, he needs to take advantage of the resources and hire a few known recruiters to supplement his staff.

Well the minute he would take over Michigan, he would be working with the most talent he ever would have. 

yeah he had his struggles but again, that’s still Iowa st talent. The loses they had are very comparable to Michigan losing to Michigan st this year or barely beating Rutgers.

again, Michigan doesn’t need these amazing recruiters Who could step into any schools in Cali, Texas, or Florida and could pull the top tier talent. 

Michigan needs a staff that can actually over achieve with the talent they have, when’re Harbs has been under achieving. Just Michigan a lone will bring a certain amount of talent in. The most talent Campbell will have ever recruited. The minute Campbell shows out, if he does, he will get even more talent. 

29 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Well the minute he would take over Michigan, he would be working with the most talent he ever would have. 

yeah he had his struggles but again, that’s still Iowa st talent. The loses they had are very comparable to Michigan losing to Michigan st this year or barely beating Rutgers.

again, Michigan doesn’t need these amazing recruiters Who could step into any schools in Cali, Texas, or Florida and could pull the top tier talent. 

Michigan needs a staff that can actually over achieve with the talent they have, when’re Harbs has been under achieving. Just Michigan a lone will bring a certain amount of talent in. The most talent Campbell will have ever recruited. The minute Campbell shows out, if he does, he will get even more talent. 

To use an example from Michigan's current staff, TE coach Sherrone Moore has landed multiple 5*s in just two years (Dax Hill and JJ McCarthy), been the primary for 7 other 4*s, and made numerous in-roads in Illinois and Michigan despite not coming in with many. A guy like that would be good to have on staff to supplement since he's got familiarity and has proven himself as a recruiter. There might end up being a guy like that on Iowa State's staff at a bigger school, but having at least 1-2 guys who know what it's like to recruit at a huge school would be good.