The Official Michigan Wolverines Thread

1King

37 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Yeah, I really can't convince myself about Nua. I mentioned it over there, but one of his evals was Somerville due to his previous relationship - didn't pan out. I believe Nua also pushed for Giudice, which I don't really get since they hadn't seen him up close in camp. Even if Brown was holding him back, if he wants to try and get guys from out West, I don't really know how successful of a strategy that would be. Jacob Schuster remains a frustrating situation since he apparently wasn't interested in Michigan because he was staying on the West Coast, and then ended up going to a team Michigan blasted.

Linguist is a bit of a gamble given his territory, but he's a good enough recruiter that I would take the chance, and he has to be considered a solid coach given that he got an NFL job from the college ranks. Cowboys don't exactly have a ton of talent to work with at CB, compounded by how bad Nolan was, so I can't really hold that much against him in year 1. As much as I think Clink gets overrated, he does make a lot of sense on paper.

Hiring Hart and then attempting to keep Jay really throws a wrench in things. I don't think there's enough value in a ST only coach compared to a dedicated QB coach, or another DL/LB coach on defense.

Based on what we’ve heard, I still think this was my ideal group of interested candidates:

HC/QB: Jim Harbaugh

OC: Josh Gattis

RB: Jay Harbaugh

WR: Ron Bellamy

TE: Sherrone Moore

OL: Ed Warriner

DC: Mike MacDonald

DL: ?????? (Maybe Rodney Garner?)

LB: Brian Jean Mary OR Christian Robinson

CB: Maurice Linguist

S/Co-DC: Tim Banks

That staff would give me a lot more confidence going in. 

1 hour ago, winitall said:

Based on what we’ve heard, I still think this was my ideal group of interested candidates:

HC/QB: Jim Harbaugh

OC: Josh Gattis

RB: Jay Harbaugh

WR: Ron Bellamy

TE: Sherrone Moore

OL: Ed Warriner

DC: Mike MacDonald

DL: ?????? (Maybe Rodney Garner?)

LB: Brian Jean Mary OR Christian Robinson

CB: Maurice Linguist

S/Co-DC: Tim Banks

That staff would give me a lot more confidence going in. 

Garner has always been a pipe dream based off MacDonald knowing him from Georgia IMO. Garner is an SEC guy - can't see him leaving that footprint.

Wonder if the Robinson news breaking early caused Florida to make the extra push to retain him.

I would have been cool with Banks, but don't think they're going to give someone the co-DC tag, and that's probably what it would have taken to get him.

18 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

If Sherrone Moore is really going to be the OL coach, this is going to be quite an interesting change.

I think I’m actually happy with the move. I was very surprised when it was first floated but it makes sense to me. In the 2021 cycle, Sherrone was already primary on Michigan’s two biggest OL gets in El-Hadi and Anderson. Plus, I think Don Brown was primary on Crippen? So realistically, it doesn’t seem like Ed has done much on the recruiting trail lately. As far as on-field coaching I was somewhat disappointed in the results this season. I know we had a lot of movement on the line and youth but I was surprised Michigan couldn’t get more out of a guy like Filiaga. He’s certainly not a bad coach, but maybe the on-field has been overrated. Especially when it seems like other schools may agree if he is considering staying on in an analyst role. 

2 hours ago, winitall said:

I think I’m actually happy with the move. I was very surprised when it was first floated but it makes sense to me. In the 2021 cycle, Sherrone was already primary on Michigan’s two biggest OL gets in El-Hadi and Anderson. Plus, I think Don Brown was primary on Crippen? So realistically, it doesn’t seem like Ed has done much on the recruiting trail lately. As far as on-field coaching I was somewhat disappointed in the results this season. I know we had a lot of movement on the line and youth but I was surprised Michigan couldn’t get more out of a guy like Filiaga. He’s certainly not a bad coach, but maybe the on-field has been overrated. Especially when it seems like other schools may agree if he is considering staying on in an analyst role. 

Can't say I'm too surprised about Chuck. He came in as a massive tackle, and unless those guys can already move well, I've grown more skeptical of them. I'd say Ryan Hayes is more of a disappointment since I think there's actually a lot of upside there, but he also might have trouble getting his weight up enough.

Moore is such a good recruiter that Michigan might be better off it he can make it work, but man, there's a lot of risk here. Seems that Ed was doing a good job of developing players individually, but maybe they weren't happy with the cohesiveness of the group and how they played together. But still think a lot of issues go back to Gattis, which obviously isn't changing this year. Maybe Moore has a vision that will help, but just think so much of the issue with the offense (beyond the QB spot) is Gattis.

• 2 weeks later...