The Official Michigan Wolverines Thread

1King

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I revise that. I think the biggest thing is recruiting. Something that other great programs like Bama, Clem, Ohio St, OU have been great at that Michigan hasn't come close to.

Hell, even TEN and NC have out recruited UM recently if I'm not mistaken.

If they want to be treated and play like a top 5 school, they need to recruit 5* playmakers like a top 5 school

in the beginning Harbs was pulling pretty good classes

22 minutes ago, buno67 said:

in the beginning Harbs was pulling pretty good classes

Yeah but there is a massive difference in the #2 class and the #8-15th class and that's where the talent gap on both teams are .

It's the difference in having the Bosa brothers, Chase Young, Jeff Okudah and not having those level of players

Edited by AkronsWitness

20 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah but there is a massive difference in the #2 class and the #8-15th class and that's where the talent gap on both teams are .

It's the difference in having the Bosa brothers, Chase Young, Jeff Okudah and not having those level of players

True but harbs has to be good enough to make up that talent difference. Franklin and MarkyD were. 

He has had one top5 class and one class out of the top10. The rest have been still be boarderline top10. Harbs should do better. With classes like that. He should only lose to the likes of OSU. Even with coaching leading to an upset or two. Hell Tressell didn’t always have the more talented team but he would out coached Carr. 

I've generally been "fine" with the losses in the sense that the actual teams he was losing to were usually on Michigan's level or better (PSU, Wisconsin, OSU, etc.), but this was just an unacceptable loss, particularly given the context of where the two programs are and should be. MSU just lost to Rutgers at home in their first year while having 7 turnovers. You cannot lose to that team, and you had a chance to bury them for in-state relevance. And you get beat because you can't stop the only thing that was working for MSU on offense. Just an absolute mess.

I don't know what's going to happen, but this is probably the first time where I think I'd be fine if Harbaugh left, even though coaching searches are terrifying and I'm not sure how many strong candidates are left. I don't really want to be FSU/Tennessee/USC, and I think Harbaugh's floor tends to be higher, but if you're losing these types of games... man.

I truly cannot get over how they got beat by the same thing time and time again today while also not adjusting at all on offense. Continuing to stubbornly run up the middle when you have pure better athletes than MSU and were making more plays on the edge? Why?

Edited by JammerHammer21

10 hours ago, JammerHammer21 said:

I've generally been "fine" with the losses in the sense that the actual teams he was losing to were usually on Michigan's level or better (PSU, Wisconsin, OSU, etc.), but this was just an unacceptable loss, particularly given the context of where the two programs are and should be. MSU just lost to Rutgers at home in their first year while having 7 turnovers. You cannot lose to that team, and you had a chance to bury them for in-state relevance. And you get beat because you can't stop the only thing that was working for MSU on offense. Just an absolute mess.

I don't know what's going to happen, but this is probably the first time where I think I'd be fine if Harbaugh left, even though coaching searches are terrifying and I'm not sure how many strong candidates are left. I don't really want to be FSU/Tennessee/USC, and I think Harbaugh's floor tends to be higher, but if you're losing these types of games... man.

I truly cannot get over how they got beat by the same thing time and time again today while also not adjusting at all on offense. Continuing to stubbornly run up the middle when you have pure better athletes than MSU and were making more plays on the edge? Why?

I’ll be the first to say it:

Lane Kiffin

His quirkiness would spice things up in the Big 10 and you need to inject life into your offense.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I’ll be the first to say it:

Lane Kiffin

His quirkiness would spice things up in the Big 10 and you need to inject life into your offense.

No way. Would never fly at Michigan, and his defensive coaches are two former Michigan coaches (and one is Durkin, so... doubly no).

Not saying Michigan needs to keep using the Michigan Man trope (especially since Harbaugh is the last one at this point), but Lane Kiffin would not work.

If Luke Fickell were anything other than a former OSU player and coach, he'd probably be the favorite. Brent Venables is always going to come up as a favorite because of how good Clemson's defense is, but my understanding is that there are some skeletons in the closet there (don't know what they are there). Fleck is a no. Hafley had a year at OSU, but I've been impressed with him at BC. Enough to make the jump to a program like Michigan? Probably not.

I am still fairly skeptical of Campbell, but would think he'd be a top choice.

Edited by JammerHammer21

26 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

No way. Would never fly at Michigan, and his defensive coaches are two former Michigan coaches (and one is Durkin, so... doubly no).

Not saying Michigan needs to keep using the Michigan Man trope (especially since Harbaugh is the last one at this point), but Lane Kiffin would not work.

If Luke Fickell were anything other than a former OSU player and coach, he'd probably be the favorite. Brent Venables is always going to come up as a favorite because of how good Clemson's defense is, but my understanding is that there are some skeletons in the closet there (don't know what they are there). Fleck is a no. Hafley had a year at OSU, but I've been impressed with him at BC. Enough to make the jump to a program like Michigan? Probably not.

I am still fairly skeptical of Campbell, but would think he'd be a top choice.

Fleck or Campbell would be your best options. 

8 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Fleck or Campbell would be your best options. 

I would take Campbell way before Fleck, but I would feel fairly underwhelmed if he just brought his Iowa State staff with him. Michigan would have dollars to throw around, but I don't know if there's anyone already major that would come even if Michigan were paying $7-9 million since I don't think there are many on that intermediate step.

10 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

I would take Campbell way before Fleck, but I would feel fairly underwhelmed if he just brought his Iowa State staff with him. Michigan would have dollars to throw around, but I don't know if there's anyone already major that would come even if Michigan were paying $7-9 million since I don't think there are many on that intermediate step.

I don’t think their is anything wrong with Campbell bring his staff over. I would like to see what Campbell could do recruiting at a big time school like Michigan. They aren’t being outcoached in the big12. Outplayed by talent. I would def see him upgrading some spots on staff. Would love to see him try and steal Candle from Toledo.  Hell, Candle could be a solid candidate for HC. Ain’t super sexy but I don’t think Michigan needs to go that route. They have done that twice. RichRod and Harbs and it hasn’t worked

Edited by buno67

16 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

It’s time.

Yeah, I just don't know how Harbaugh comes back from this given that there are likely more lopsided losses on the way. They drew the short end of the stick with Ambry and Nico opting out right when football came back, but it doesn't explain what a mess this program is in right now, and it certainly wouldn't have saved them today.

Just feels like the program doesn't have any forward direction. Offense isn't even easy right now for them.

37 minutes ago, JammerHammer21 said:

Yeah, I just don't know how Harbaugh comes back from this given that there are likely more lopsided losses on the way. They drew the short end of the stick with Ambry and Nico opting out right when football came back, but it doesn't explain what a mess this program is in right now, and it certainly wouldn't have saved them today.

Just feels like the program doesn't have any forward direction. Offense isn't even easy right now for them.

I agree. I've been pretty vocal on here about thinking that Michigan can't really do any better in the past, but these past two weeks have certainly changed things. Might eventually make a longer post about it, but the team is simply headed in the wrong direction. Offensively, they have more "great athlete" guys than I've ever seen at one time in the program, yet everything is just an absolute sludge. They simply can't get the ball to guys in a situation where they can succeed. Charbonnet and Corum both showed late in the game what happens when they get the ball with some room, missed tackles and positive yardage, yet they don't make that a focal point. Defensively, I'm not sure what to say. Linebacker play was supposed to be a strength and one of the best in the conference and it has felt like both Ross and McGrone have been just lost. I know McGrone graded out well on Brian's UFR against MSU, but he took a step back against Indiana upon first glance. The 4th down conversion right before IU's last score sticks out, Kemp either slants/gets washed down and McGrone doesn't see it quickly enough to fill the hole. Instead, he keeps heading down with Kemp which gives enough of a gap for the RB to pound through. At CB, Gemon Green has at least shown worthwhile improvement week to week, even if he is getting beat occasionally. The rest of the group has been pretty barren. On the DL, I actually don't think they have been *terrible* I just think the rest of the defensive side has been so bad that nothing they do is going to help.