BDL Discussion Thread 2018

Jlash

Let me put it this way @ny92mike.

I'm fine with reducing the season. I understand your arguments for doing so. However, the 3rd (or 1st) playoff game needs to be the first to go. It accomplishes the least of all the weeks AND is Christmas week AND has already shown to have the lowest amount of activity. Starting with any reduction without first starting with a conversation about reducing playoff weeks is a non-starter for me.

Edited by Whicker

5 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Like... you all want a bye-week and fewer weeks you have to play. One fewer playoff week solves both of these problems at the same time while also carrying other benefits described above. We can also do this without altering our divisional structure or schedule.

1 minute ago, SirA1 said:

I would be fine with a 6 team playoff. it would give the 1-2 seeds a breather/BYE week.

I'm on my phone so this sucks typing.

I'm just giving my opinion on what I believe would boost retention and membership.  Cutting a single week doesnt really do much for that.

This is probably going to kill any chance ive got at advancing because I'm sure it won't sit well, but I'm burnt out.  

Ill give it my all this season and during the off season but I'm not 100% I wanna work this hard.  

If the season was reduced I think it would be more inviting but thats me.  Not you or anyone else.

I love being part of this SIM and love the idea of working with you guys but as someone kinda new to this i think being a co-owner would be easier if nothing changes.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Let me put it this way @ny92mike.

I'm fine with reducing the season. I understand your arguments for doing so. However, the 3rd (or 1st) playoff game needs to be the first to go. It accomplishes the least of all the weeks AND is Christmas week AND has already shown to have the lowest amount of activity. Starting with any reduction without first starting with a conversation about reducing playoff weeks is a non-starter for me.

Thats cool too.  Just for a newbie this 14 week season is too much.

I love it but its way too long imo.

11 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

I would be fine with a 6 team playoff. it would give the 1-2 seeds a breather/BYE week.

I can get behind this, we've already stolen everything from the NFL might as well steal their playoff system.

But it still doesn't shorten the season, which no matter how we choose to tackle is going to be tough.

If we're gonna chop the season down, I want to avoid the week 14-17 injuries where teams obviously tank/rest/IR players because the season is over for them.

5 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

I'm just giving my opinion on what I believe would boost retention and membership.  Cutting a single week doesnt really do much for that.

This is probably going to kill any chance ive got at advancing because I'm sure it won't sit well, but I'm burnt out.  

Ill give it my all this season and during the off season but I'm not 100% I wanna work this hard.  

If the season was reduced I think it would be more inviting but thats me.  Not you or anyone else.

I love being part of this SIM and love the idea of working with you guys but as someone kinda new to this i think being a co-owner would be easier if nothing changes.

You could also look for a co-owner as well. In the early years we had at least 5-6 teams with Co-Owners, which helped with both the grind and also had a pool of new owners readily available if someone had RL issues.

A Co-Owner could give you a few BYE weeks for Game Plans and such. I do know some owners would have trust issues with that.

Edited by SirA1

2 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

You could also look for a co-owner as well. In the early years we had at least 5-6 teams with Co-Owners, which helped with both the grind and also had a pool of new owners readily available if someone had RL issues.

I think if I was a co owner it would be for the off season only.

Also I'm not sure how easy it is finding a co owner or owner in this forum.  How many co owners are here now.  I know ted got me early this year.  Then added another kid that to my knowledge didnt stick around.

Sometimes you gotta adapt the system to fit the forum.

16 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Let me try to explain myself in a different way I guess.

I agree with you about reducing the number of weeks. I agree with you about reducing the number of weeks.

I agree with you about reducing the number of weeks.

Saying "oh let's go to 10 games" is a non-starter. It has no basis on anything. It seems like you went arbitrary because you did.

Let's ground this discussion in actual reality with realistic steps. Reducing one week in this conversation doesn't AT ALL mean we can't have another conversation about reducing a second week. And that does not keep us from having a third discussion. And so on.

THE FIRST PLAYOFF WEEK SHOULD BE THE FIRST TO GO. That's where this conversation starts for me. I have laid out exactly why I feel it is the least important week and given alternatives. Now, you can either keep this conversation going to where we can actually get somewhere and reduce the number of weeks in the BDL season, or you can continue to pout and not get anywhere at all. I prefer the former.

7 minutes ago, Whicker said:

Let me try to explain myself in a different way I guess.

I agree with you about reducing the number of weeks. I agree with you about reducing the number of weeks.

I agree with you about reducing the number of weeks.

Saying "oh let's go to 10 games" is a non-starter. It has no basis on anything. It seems like you went arbitrary because you did.

Let's ground this discussion in actual reality with realistic steps. Reducing one week in this conversation doesn't AT ALL mean we can't have another conversation about reducing a second week. And that does not keep us from having a third discussion. And so on.

THE FIRST PLAYOFF WEEK SHOULD BE THE FIRST TO GO. That's where this conversation starts for me. I have laid out exactly why I feel it is the least important week and given alternatives. Now, you can either keep this conversation going to where we can actually get somewhere and reduce the number of weeks in the BDL season, or you can continue to pout and not get anywhere at all. I prefer the former.

This conversation is getting different to say the least.

So it starts where you want it and if not I'm the one pouting?

Just now, ny92mike said:

This conversation is getting different to say the least.

So it starts where you want it and if not I'm the one pouting?

My goodness am I that bad at explaining myself?

No.

I really have no idea how to explain this any differently. I've said the same things five times now.

You said you wanted to reduce the season by four weeks.

I said I agree. We are still waiting on others to chime in on this matter.

I said that if we do, the playoff week should be the first to go. That's where the conversation starts for me.

Now, you and others that want a reduced season get to tell me what you all think should be the first to go and why my idea isn't a good one. Then we can actually have a conversation.

13 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Guys let's chill out a bit.

We have an offseason meeting where we can discuss these issues. Let's just put reduction of season and reduction of playoff teams in the agenda and we will discuss that then

I'm chill, dude. I assert my opinion when I argue because... that's what you're supposed to do when you argue. I'm obviously just poor at explaining my viewpoint on the internet.

31 minutes ago, Whicker said:

My goodness am I that bad at explaining myself?

No.

I really have no idea how to explain this any differently. I've said the same things five times now.

You said you wanted to reduce the season by four weeks.

I said I agree. We are still waiting on others to chime in on this matter.

I said that if we do, the playoff week should be the first to go. That's where the conversation starts for me.

Now, you and others that want a reduced season get to tell me what you all think should be the first to go and why my idea isn't a good one. Then we can actually have a conversation.

No man I hear you just fine even through all of your ***** attitude.

I don't care where you shave the weeks.  I thought I was clear on that when I said, "Thats cool too.  Just for a newbie this 14 week season is too much."

This isn't my sim, all I've done was voice my opinion on the season being too long and that it might have a higher retention rate and larger membership if it was reduced.  

Again, I don't care where the weeks are shaved off.  Get rid of the playoffs for all I care, but shaving one week per discussion when one isn't going to change much in how I'm looking at it.  Which is from a new member coming in and loving it up until it hit the holidays.

I've got no problem stepping away and you guys run it how you want.  This isn't pouting or being a **** or the likes.  Just my point of view of what I think would make this sim better for everyone in the forum and not for just a couple members that refuse to change because it doesn't suit their needs and wants.

Come on man chill out.

to clarify:  I'm happy to help with any of the workbooks, that won't change regardless where this goes.

Edited by ny92mike

1 minute ago, ny92mike said:

No man I hear you just fine even through all of your ***** attitude.

I don't care where you shave the weeks.  I thought I was clear on that when I said, "Thats cool too.  Just for a newbie this 14 week season is too much."

This isn't my sim, all I've done was voice my opinion on the season being too long and that it might have a higher retention rate and larger membership if it was reduced.  

Again, I don't care where the weeks are shaved off.  Get rid of the playoffs for all I care, but shaving one week per discussion when one isn't going to change much in how I'm looking at it.  Which is from a new member coming in and loving it up until it hit the holidays.

I've got no problem stepping away and you guys run it how you want.  This isn't pouting or being a **** or the likes.  Just my point of view of what I think would make this sim better for everyone in the forum and not for just a couple members that refuse to change because it doesn't suit their needs and wants.

Come on man chill out.

I don't get what you want, dude.

I don't think my attitude is bitchy at all. You can believe it or not, but I'm genuinely trying to move this conversation to get what you want in a way that I think will be heard and responded to. This is how I conversate/argue with people. That's how I've done things my whole life. IRL and on the internet. And IMO I'm doing just fine in my ability to relate to people.

Your opinion is heard. I'm legitimately trying to help you reduce the number of weeks in a BDL season.

Saying "I don't care where weeks are shaved" is the problem. In my experience, saying something general like "I want a shorter year" doesn't get things done. "I want to save some more money." "I want to eat healthier." In my personal experience (of not only me but others around me), those kinds of phrases do not lead to actual accomplished goals. "I am going to set aside $100 extra a month." "I'm going to only drink soda every other day." "Let's cut out X week then Y week." IMO, that's how things get changed.

• Like 1