Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

9 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Cam Newton was the best college QB I've ever seen for a 1 year period of time. I can't imagine what he would have done in that Urban Meyer system if he could have stayed on the straight and narrow while he was at Florida.

Cam was a better college player than Mayfield with his threat to run, as were other college QBs of recent years but I was talking purely as a passer. Heck, Manziel was a better college QB than Mayfield because he was a dual threat like Cam and others, neither were nearly as advanced as a passer. I wouldn't be shocked if Mayfield is a better passer as a rookie than Cam is. Cam isn't great. He does get hot and is still a great threat with his legs but he isn't an above average NFL passer. Can throw it far and pretty accurate with the deep ball but otherwise pretty pedestrian.

11 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Cam was a better college player than Mayfield with his threat to run, as were other college QBs of recent years but I was talking purely as a passer. Heck, Manziel was a better college QB than Mayfield because he was a dual threat like Cam and others, neither were nearly as advanced as a passer. I wouldn't be shocked if Mayfield is a better passer as a rookie than Cam is. Cam isn't great. He does get hot and is still a great threat with his legs but he isn't an above average NFL passer. Can throw it far and pretty accurate with the deep ball but otherwise pretty pedestrian.

If/When Mayfield leads his team to a Super Bowl appearance and an MVP season, then I will agree with you.

3 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

If mayfield was 6’4 6’5 the card would have been turned in already and it wouldn’t even be a question 

No doubt, but the concerns about height at that position are legitimate.  I feel like it would even be possible for him to be a #1 pick if he had similar success in a different offense as well, that cheese they run at Oklahoma could have definitely masked some of the shortcomings from his height.

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If/When Mayfield leads his team to a Super Bowl appearance and an MVP season, then I will agree with you.

If that is how you determine who is a better passer then don't bother agreeing with me. He is a decent passer, probably top 20ish. He is a great threat with his legs, probably #1 at his position. Added together he is a top 10ish QB. Mayfield doesn't have to be the 9th best passer to be a better passer than Cam.

21 hours ago, BrownieTheElf said:

Why do an Allen smokescreen though?

Well, it makes sense to do a smokescreen with a guy you dont plan to take at 1 and hope the Giants bite and trade up.

That is if you think "smokescreens" are any more than just fan chatter

20 hours ago, MWil23 said:

You guys make it seem like my worries are completely unfounded based off of past precedent. 

"There's NO WAY that they're drafting JFF, we spent $100,000+ on an analytical study that says Bridgewater or Carr."

"There's NO WAY that they're drafting a backup Center of the future (Erving) when we have a Pro Bowler in Mack under contract. We have WAAAAY more pressing needs."

"We ARE NOT drafting a 29 year old rookie who is older than Aaron Rodgers in the First Round."

"Guys, no one takes a RB top 5 in the draft anymore. This is freaking 2012 for crying out loud."

Do I need to go on?

You shut your mouth

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If that is how you determine who is a better passer then don't bother agreeing with me.

Mayfield hasn't thrown a single NFL pass. To say he's a better NFL passer is errant. If you're talking about college passer, Mayfield is obviously better.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

He is a decent passer, probably top 20ish. He is a great threat with his legs, probably #1 at his position. Added together he is a top 10ish QB. Mayfield doesn't have to be the 9th best passer to be a better passer than Cam.

Again, we will see after Mayfield plays a single NFL down whether or not he's a better passer.

21 hours ago, BrownieTheElf said:

Why do an Allen smokescreen though?

Aside from this being silly season with draft rumors that are real/fake, there are several theories as to this:

1. The Browns are taking Allen 

2. The Browns are lying for leverage for a trade at #4

3. The Browns are going QB at #1, but are lying for leverage with the NY Giants, who allegedly LOVE Darnold, to still get "their guy" at QB at #2 while adding more "value" in a trade.

4. The Browns are intentionally leaking Allen, who they are not taking, in hopes of seeing who the leak(s) are in the building so that they can address them. Their locker room has been a disaster in this area for quite some time, and by doing this, they'll be able to address it and move on. This one is where I'm personally leaning, mostly because I can't imagine scenario 1 or 3 because it hurts too much.

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Aside from this being silly season with draft rumors that are real/fake, there are several theories as to this:

1. The Browns are taking Allen 

Certainly possible.

2. The Browns are lying for leverage for a trade at #4

Perhaps, but I’d have to imagine anyone trading to 4 for a QB would have to like all 4 of the top guys enough to take them or they’d just wait to see if one of their guys is there at 4.  I can’t see misinformation impacting this.

3. The Browns are going QB at #1, but are lying for leverage with the NY Giants, who allegedly LOVE Darnold, to still get "their guy" at QB at #2 while adding more "value" in a trade.

Possible, but it borders on getting too cute. I hope they just take their guy. Besides, as soon as we allow them to go to one, whoever they take will for sure be a HOFer and we’ll look like morons because we’re the Browns and that’s how that works.

4. The Browns are intentionally leaking Allen, who they are not taking, in hopes of seeing who the leak(s) are in the building so that they can address them. Their locker room has been a disaster in this area for quite some time, and by doing this, they'll be able to address it and move on. This one is where I'm personally leaning, mostly because I can't imagine scenario 1 or 3 because it hurts too much.

Agreed, most likely option.  Dorsey is all about keeping his poop in a group and I wouldn’t put this past him.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Certainly possible.

It would be the most Browns thing ever to draft a young, athletic, big armed and inaccurate QB with major processing/slow processing skills, get rid of him because it was a failure, only to add another QB who is a year older that played against worse college competition who is slow to process, has major accuracy issues, but has a big arm and is a great athlete.

Perhaps, but I’d have to imagine anyone trading to 4 for a QB would have to like all 4 of the top guys enough to take them or they’d just wait to see if one of their guys is there at 4.  I can’t see misinformation impacting this.

I would agree with you here as well, but it could also be a trade that is agreed upon ahead of time that you could quickly agree to on draft day. 10 minutes could go by really fast otherwise.

Possible, but it borders on getting too cute. I hope they just take their guy. Besides, as soon as we allow them to go to one, whoever they take will for sure be a HOFer and we’ll look like morons because we’re the Browns and that’s how that works.

I agree 100% here. Just freaking take your guy (Darnold) and don't get cute. Throw in the fact that the Giants didn't take that huge deal with the Jets to move back 4 spots, and I think that they have a clear QB in mind and/or a clear BPA position player.

Agreed, most likely option.  Dorsey is all about keeping his poop in a group and I wouldn’t put this past him.

That better be the case. If we draft Allen, I want everyone gone already. LOL. 

Anyone do any scouting of Taven Bryan?  Was just reading a bit on him, and watched some highlights.  Looks like a stud 3 tech, but I don't know if he makes it out of the first. Would he just be a luxury pick if he makes it to the top of the 2nd?  Or would his value there be too good to pass up?

28 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Anyone do any scouting of Taven Bryan?  Was just reading a bit on him, and watched some highlights.  Looks like a stud 3 tech, but I don't know if he makes it out of the first. Would he just be a luxury pick if he makes it to the top of the 2nd?  Or would his value there be too good to pass up?

He’d be a great pick at 33 imo.

Mayfield is ten times more talented then JFF. Not addicted to any drugs. Believe it or not is more mature. Light years beyond mentally and intellectually. The only thing you can compare too is some of their antics. 

Barkelys ten times more talented then Trich 

theres no 29 year old QBs avalaible thank god. 

Were set up better and have better ppl on the front office. We’re fine. 

Heard we brought Julian Temple DT from Baylor in on a visit....

He's had knee injuries in back to back years (Meniscus; then ACL) that caused him to miss almost the entirety of 2 whole seasons before being healthy his final redshirt senior year.

That said, a player like this has Top-20 talent. Unbelievable agility, power, hand usage, instincts, and quickness off the ball.

He's now a favorite of mine after watching 3 games. If anyone has a link to more games let me know...

I mean....just look at this dude play the game.

I'd use our Eagles 2nd round pick on him at 65...that's how much I believe in his ability. The injury concerns will likely push him to the 3rd or 4th round.

If he can stay healthy...which is a big IF.... he'll be one of the top DTs in the league within 2 years.

Archived