Draft Discussion 3.0

NudeTayne

This seems like a pretty decent and deep draft through the middle of round 2.  When the Bills offer us 12/22 and future 1st (or 2nd this year maybe), please click the accept button Mr Dorsey.

Speaking of accepting offers, I wonder what sort of sophisticated setup they have going on for that kinda thing.  They can't just use a speaker phone right?  Right???  I would imagine they have a few screens set up with a few "runners" anytime any sort of offer or interest is put out there by another team.  I imagine it looks like Enders Game or some crap in there.

4 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

This seems like a pretty decent and deep draft through the middle of round 2.  When the Bills offer us 12/22 and future 1st (or 2nd this year maybe), please click the accept button Mr Dorsey.

Speaking of accepting offers, I wonder what sort of sophisticated setup they have going on for that kinda thing.  They can't just use a speaker phone right?  Right???  I would imagine they have a few screens set up with a few "runners" anytime any sort of offer or interest is put out there by another team.  I imagine it looks like Enders Game or some crap in there.

Enders game is boss. Great book.

Great post comparing Baker and Darnold @Mind Character. It's funny, because early on this season, I was previewing OSU v OU with a buddy for an online radio show. In watching his tape, I remarked that, despite how good he's been, it was so rare to see him "thread the needle." Though I didn't quite have the mind of a coach/scout, I think it was clear that the Lincoln Riley offense played a huge part in Baker's success. 

I just don't get it though, guys as high up as Dorsey and McCloughan HAVE to recognize this, no? 

We do know that Dorsey went to six of Baker's games, but this was BEFORE he knew he'd have the #1 pick, and the chance at any of the QB's he desires. 

My heart still has me convinced that in the end, it will be Darnold, but the idea that Baker will be the guy is still hanging by a thread in my mind.

9 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Great post comparing Baker and

We do know that Dorsey went to six of Baker's games, but this was BEFORE he knew he'd have the #1 pick, and the chance at any of the QB's he desires. 

That is a fantastic point 

never had that mentioned before

not that I ever thought it’d be any player other than Darnold but yeah great point 

10 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

the Lincoln Riley offense played a huge part in Baker's success. 

I just don't get it though, guys as high up as Dorsey and McCloughan HAVE to recognize this, no? 

No.

That's the problem.

11 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

How do you know this? All Dorsey does is watch tape. He must have recognized the difficulty of throws that Darnold has made compared to Mayfield's throughout the season.

I do not.

Simply observed that they do not have to recognize this.

Especially if they are predisposed otherwise.

17 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I do not.

Simply observed that they do not have to recognize this.

Especially if they are predisposed otherwise.

E.g., "He is a big-time gunslinger like Brett Favre. He's got the athletic ability. My question is can he learn to win in the pocket because to play in the NFL, at a certain point, you have to." -- Mike Mayock

Guess who?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/patrick-mahomes?id=2558125

It's the apparent Farve/Farve-like fixation that troubles me.

Then again, the last paragraph sure sounds more like Darnold than Mayfield, although Darnold already throws with much better anticipation:

"BOTTOM LINE

Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect."

5 minutes ago, bruceb said:

E.g., "He is a big-time gunslinger like Brett Favre. He's got the athletic ability. My question is can he learn to win in the pocket because to play in the NFL, at a certain point, you have to." -- Mike Mayock

Guess who?

Then again, the last paragraph sure sounds more like Darnold than Mayfield, although Darnold already throws with much better anticipation:

"BOTTOM LINE

Mahomes is a big, confident quarterback who brings a variety of physical tools to the party, but he's developed some bad habits and doesn't have a very repeatable process as a passer. Mahomes' ability to improvise and extend plays can lead to big plays for his offense, but he will have to prove he can operate with better anticipation and be willing to take what the defense gives him in order to win from the pocket. Mahomes will be a work in progress, but he's a high ceiling, low floor prospect."

Sounds more like Allen if you ask me 

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Sounds more like Allen if you ask me 

Nah:

Passing

Passing
Year School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Career Texas Tech         857 1349 63.5 11252 8.3 8.8 93 29 152.0
2014 Texas Tech Big 12 FR QB 7 105 185 56.8 1547 8.4 9.1 16 4 151.2
*2015 Texas Tech Big 12 SO QB 13 364 573 63.5 4653 8.1 8.2 36 15 147.2
2016 Texas Tech Big 12 JR QB 12 388 591 65.7 5052 8.5 9.2 41 10 157.0
*2017 Texas Tech Big 12 SR QB                    

6 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Guess who?

"BOTTOM LINE

You made a good point in mentioning predisposition. I do think that Mayfield is of the Mahomes mold, and we've heard McCloughan compare Baker to Brett Favre. Something else did occur to me though, what if McCloughan leaked his thoughts as a means for deception? Working alongside Dorsey, it would not be out of the realm of possibility that Scot keeps his true beliefs close to the vest as well.

Yes, Baker has the better arm strength. At the same time, you could make the case that Darnold has more of a gunslinger mentality. He may not have the Josh Allen rocket arm, but the dude ain't Cody Kessler either. He can throw a great deep ball, as deep as it needs to go unless you're down 8 on your own 20 with one second left...then yeah, pretty sure neither Sam nor Baker can make that throw. Then again...there's always Josh Allen.

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

I’m worried Josh Allen is the pick. It’ll be such a waste. 

My comment above about Allen...totally joking. There's no way the Browns are drafting him. If I could bet in Vegas that Cle DOESN'T draft Allen, I totes would put down mad loot on that ish. It's not happening dude, cheeeeyilll.

Archived