The Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame band wagon thread!

aceinthehouse

1 hour ago, 4209 said:

Okay Allen and Foster were hurt but stop right there, our D has been awful at stopping the run long before last season. So injuries are not and excuse. Hey turtle any kind of good def cord will minimize the lack of production during an adverse situation. I don't like to use excuses (injuries) for poor performance most of the time.  Part of it  falls on the coach. Some of it is depth. In losing Allen and Foster, we should not have had a complete collapse in stopping the run. We've  have had some sorry DC here ( Haslett, Barry and now Manusky). They all have poor tackling Defenses, run or pass. They all have  players in gaps missing plays or tackles. I mean there are missing tackles all over the place. They all have Def that are unable to get off the field on 3rd downs. I speak about the inability of stopping the run but all of the previous mentioned short comings go hand in hand and really define our poor performance on the D side in stopping the run or pass.

If I want to stop the run I need better coaching, more talent and much better tackling. Not a fan of a nose tackle b/c we don't have the personnel for a 3-4 D. 

For me turtle I'm not a fan of Gruden and Manusky. I am an die hard skin fan so I hope they can prove me wrong. But deep down inside I believe we should burn the whole house down  and bring in some kind of good coaches that can handle most phases of the game. Neither one will succeed if they don't surround themselves with better coaching staff. 

Coaching can only do so much when you lose your starting NT,  best DL (Allen) period for the year, Foster goes out for the year and your 2nd best DL (Ioannidis) breaks his hand so he misses a few games and plays months with a cast.

How Can any coach over come that?

Well, the reason I want to take Payne, Vea, Settle or BJ Hill etc is because they can be the NT we are missing or we can sign Logan or Poe. If we do that and re-sign Brown then our run D will be better.

In 2011 our run D was better when we were actually healthy on D and had talent.

42 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Giants should really consider him at 2. He will be a beast at LG with Ereck Flowers at LT. 

I actually hope they draft Baker Mayfield, something about him sitting behind Manning and then being thrust into action and bombing would just bring a smile to my face.

Barring a trade up, as it stands right now, I think Nelson is going to be long gone. Yes, things happen, but I don't think he's going to be option. Stinks because he would fill an acute need with massive amounts of talent.

Personally, right now I'm leaning to the BPA/Defense (or WR if the #1WR is there (definition of #1WR is up in the air right now)) in the 1st and coming back to guard in the 2nd. If the Redskins do manage to get a Norwell or some other top free agent guard, then RB in the second makes sense. I just wonder if they'll go for the top free agent though.

Archived