The Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame band wagon thread!

aceinthehouse

On 2/21/2018 at 7:08 PM, turtle28 said:

The run scheme sucks and our running backs except for Chris Thompson have all missed open holes or been too slow to get to the open holes since 2015. Draft a running back who’s more durable and bigger than Thompson and quicker and faster than Perine will fix our run game. Then, Re-sign Long, draft a mid round C/G to develop behind him and Roullier and re-sign Kouandjio for depth. Then, if Gruden calls run plays more consistently, our running game will improve.

Well that fine but I still would draft an OL (nelson) or DL. But lets do it your way turtle 28 okay. Now what about that wet toilet tissue DL we have. I'm tried of the opposition running the ball down our throat. This draft is loaded with RB's. By the way Kouandjio in my opinion needs to get better he is okay in run blocking but the pass blocking  not good.

Speaking of Gruden 

Then, if Gruden calls run plays more consistently, our running game will improve.

That's one of the problems turtle28 IF!!!!!!!  Gruden likes to pass the ball alot. He really don't have a balance attack. It is hard for any RB to establish any kind of good rhythm in Gruden offense.  He better change. Running the the ball is always good especially in red zone and bad weather etc.  I have been to this rodeo before, reminds me of Joe Gibbs first 5 games as our coach. Joe came from a happy passing attack.  It didn’t take him long to figure it out and the rest is history. You need a balance attack with some kind of power RG.  Gruden has been here 4 yrs and he has not learned this yet. I don't see him as the answer now I maybe wrong and if I am I'll eat my words. I don't care just as long as our skins start winning. But until then Gruden and Manusky are big PROBLEMS!!!!!!

48 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Have you guys seen his highlight reel?

Holy Moly!! Lol

I like Nelson alot has good base with some devastating blocking skills. Maybe a little to high on the pass blocking. That number 33 Josh Adams looks good also. He should be a mid round pick.

18 hours ago, 4209 said:

Well that fine but I still would draft an OL (nelson) or DL. But lets do it your way turtle 28 okay. Now what about that wet toilet tissue DL we have. I'm tried of the opposition running the ball down our throat. This draft is loaded with RB's. By the way Kouandjio in my opinion needs to get better he is okay in run blocking but the pass blocking  not good.

Speaking of Gruden 

Then, if Gruden calls run plays more consistently, our running game will improve.

That's one of the problems turtle28 IF!!!!!!!  Gruden likes to pass the ball alot. He really don't have a balance attack. It is hard for any RB to establish any kind of good rhythm in Gruden offense.  He better change. Running the the ball is always good especially in red zone and bad weather etc.  I have been to this rodeo before, reminds me of Joe Gibbs first 5 games as our coach. Joe came from a happy passing attack.  It didn’t take him long to figure it out and the rest is history. You need a balance attack with some kind of power RG.  Gruden has been here 4 yrs and he has not learned this yet. I don't see him as the answer now I maybe wrong and if I am I'll eat my words. I don't care just as long as our skins start winning. But until then Gruden and Manusky are big PROBLEMS!!!!!!

My preference in round 1 is to draft Payne or Vea and if not him, Tim Settle in round 2 and any of those 3 will help our run defense.

Manusky is not a problem. Our defense was playing well even w/ Hood at NT before Jonathon Allen and Norman got hurt vs the Chiefs.

I just re-watched the Chiefs Monday night game in week 5 of last year. Before Norman got hurt at the end of the 1st half we were winning and we were tied in the second half before Allen got hurt. After they got hurt, our defense couldn’t get off the field. 

I agree that Gruden gives up too soon on the running game, I hope that changes but I have my doubts as well. Perine actually ran the ball decently in the Chiefs game, just like he did vs the Rams, Saints and first Giants games.

The only reason I say we should keep Kouandjio is for depth. I don’t want him as a starter. I’d bring back Long and/or Lauvao to battle it out for the starting LG spot. Neither should cost much to retain.

12 hours ago, turtle28 said:

My preference in round 1 is to draft Payne or Vea and if not him, Tim Settle in round 2 and any of those 3 will help our run defense.

Manusky is not a problem. Our defense was playing well even w/ Hood at NT before Jonathon Allen and Norman got hurt vs the Chiefs.

I just re-watched the Chiefs Monday night game in week 5 of last year. Before Norman got hurt at the end of the 1st half we were winning and we were tied in the second half before Allen got hurt. After they got hurt, our defense couldn’t get off the field. 

I agree that Gruden gives up too soon on the running game, I hope that changes but I have my doubts as well. Perine actually ran the ball decently in the Chiefs game, just like he did vs the Rams and Saints.

The only reason I say we should keep Kouandjio is for depth. I don’t want him as a starter. I’d bring back Long and/or Lauvao to battle it out for the starting LG spot. Neither should cost much to retain.

I  like Payne and there are others however I am waiting for the combine. Don't know much about Settle but I remember the tall DE/LB they had when they played Clemson. Can't think of his name but he has  seed to be an good edge rusher. 

Our Def against the run. Now I will agree the Def vs the run early during the season (first 5 games) was okay but look the stats below.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2017_games.htm

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Also it is interesting to note the Dec 30 game against the cowboys Prescott only threw for 102 passing yds and Alfred Morris not Elliott ran for 127 yds. Total rushing yds was 182. Hey turtle we are horrible at stopping the run.

We do need to add depth at the OL.

13 hours ago, 4209 said:

I  like Payne and there are others however I am waiting for the combine. Don't know much about Settle but I remember the tall DE/LB they had when they played Clemson. Can't think of his name but he has  seed to be an good edge rusher. 

Our Def against the run. Now I will agree the Def vs the run early during the season (first 5 games) was okay but look the stats below.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2017_games.htm

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=RUSHING&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2017&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=RUSHING_YARDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

Also it is interesting to note the Dec 30 game against the cowboys Prescott only threw for 102 passing yds and Alfred Morris not Elliott ran for 127 yds. Total rushing yds was 182. Hey turtle we are horrible at stopping the run.

We do need to add depth at the OL.

Umm... yeah, again, I’ve been saying we’re horrible at stopping the run this whole decade but 2011. I’ve said this every year of this decade and I never multiple topics this offseason. Also, in the first month of the season when Jon Allen, Ioannidis and Foster were healthy we didn’t have a problem with our run d. When they got hurt, our run D got worse.  If you want the run D to be better you should want one of the top 3 NTs.

On 2/23/2018 at 9:43 AM, MKnight82 said:

I think Hernandez sneaks into the back end of the first round.  So I don't think he'll be there for our 2nd.  If we trade down in the first maybe him or Price become a possibility.

One things for sure, the Seahawks should take either of them. They’ve needed to address their OL for years in the draft and barely have.

46 minutes ago, mike23md said:

Nelson aint gonna be at 13. So no use in sweatin him. 

Well ... Jon Allen wasn't supposed to be available at 17 last year, but weird crap happens.

If he's there and they take him, I wouldn't be upset (I may or may not be upset if he was there and they passed, depending on what they did instead). If he's not there, it is what it is. What worries me is if they trade up for him (since they have so little in terms of draft treasure right now).

Just now, Woz said:

Well ... Jon Allen wasn't supposed to be available at 17 last year, but weird crap happens.

If he's there and they take him, I wouldn't be upset (I may or may not be upset if he was there and they passed, depending on what they did instead). If he's not there, it is what it is. What worries me is if they trade up for him (since they have so little in terms of draft treasure right now).

I would not be upset at all. But, Allen had injury concerns with his shoulders, but Nelson does not have any concerns. So long as he puts up 30 reps at the combine he will go Top 10 or Top 5. 

7 minutes ago, mike23md said:

I would not be upset at all. But, Allen had injury concerns with his shoulders, but Nelson does not have any concerns. So long as he puts up 30 reps at the combine he will go Top 10 or Top 5. 

Very likely. If that happens, oh well. What can we do?

Put him at the top of the board "just in case."

On 2/25/2018 at 6:44 AM, turtle28 said:

Umm... yeah, again, I’ve been saying we’re horrible at stopping the run this whole decade but 2011. I’ve said this every year of this decade and I never multiple topics this offseason. Also, in the first month of the season when Jon Allen, Ioannidis and Foster were healthy we didn’t have a problem with our run d. When they got hurt, our run D got worse.  If you want the run D to be better you should want one of the top 3 NTs.

Okay Allen and Foster were hurt but stop right there, our D has been awful at stopping the run long before last season. So injuries are not and excuse. Hey turtle any kind of good def cord will minimize the lack of production during an adverse situation. I don't like to use excuses (injuries) for poor performance most of the time.  Part of it  falls on the coach. Some of it is depth. In losing Allen and Foster, we should not have had a complete collapse in stopping the run. We've  have had some sorry DC here ( Haslett, Barry and now Manusky). They all have poor tackling Defenses, run or pass. They all have  players in gaps missing plays or tackles. I mean there are missing tackles all over the place. They all have Def that are unable to get off the field on 3rd downs. I speak about the inability of stopping the run but all of the previous mentioned short comings go hand in hand and really define our poor performance on the D side in stopping the run or pass.

If I want to stop the run I need better coaching, more talent and much better tackling. Not a fan of a nose tackle b/c we don't have the personnel for a 3-4 D. 

For me turtle I'm not a fan of Gruden and Manusky. I am an die hard skin fan so I hope they can prove me wrong. But deep down inside I believe we should burn the whole house down  and bring in some kind of good coaches that can handle most phases of the game. Neither one will succeed if they don't surround themselves with better coaching staff. 

Archived