The Quenton Nelson, G, Notre Dame band wagon thread!

aceinthehouse

31 minutes ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

The answer to your riddle is to re-watch the two games we played against them this past season. Their line DESTROYED us. Anytime we needed a stop on 3rd down, they would just bulldoze us. In my opinion, as much problems as they have on the defensive end, their line is well worth the big money they are getting. It's the Dez contract that is hurting them the most.

Well I mean our Dline was awful so that isn't really a good measuring stick.  

34 minutes ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

The answer to your riddle is to re-watch the two games we played against them this past season. Their line DESTROYED us. Anytime we needed a stop on 3rd down, they would just bulldoze us. In my opinion, as much problems as they have on the defensive end, their line is well worth the big money they are getting. It's the Dez contract that is hurting them the most.

Just because they dominated our DL which was missing its best DL and who was supposed to be our starting NT doesn’t mean their OL is ever going to lead them to a super bowl.

I’m all for investing in the OL. Im just not in favor of paying too much for any positon group to the point that it detriments the rest of the team.

Their salary cap allocation is way imbalanced on what they spend on O vs D just like the Redskins was in 2014-2016 when we paid $20 million plus a year for our two starting Wrs.

29 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Oh, I disagree. 

This was the comment I responded to

The people who ripped the selection of Scherff... in this case.. made the poor conclusion... and now have learned from that by embracing the idea of another top OG. 

You're walking into a discussion here that has been debating since the day he was selected.  You have two groups:

Group A - If Scherff ends up being a high quality Guard then he was worth the selection.  

Group B - Selecting a Guard at 5 is never worth the pick because the position simply doesn't impact the game enough.  We should have selected a playmaker at 5.  

I'm strongly in Group B, but I understand why people of Group A see it the way they do.  But I don't feel like celebrating the success of a lesser player (position wise) just because he is a good Guard.  That isn't a "poor conclusion".  

36 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

Imo, if a player is not only the best at his position, but a player that is considered elite at his position in college?

You don't care how high you draft him! ( minus K/P)

Be it Guard like Sherff, Safety like Sean Taylor or whomever! If they're available when you select, you take them, period!

I believe Nelson Is that guy.

Agree, and I think you never, ever, ever, and I mean ever, draft a K/P. EVER. 

4 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You're walking into a discussion here that has been debating since the day he was selected.  You have two groups:

Group A - If Scherff ends up being a high quality Guard then he was worth the selection.  

Group B - Selecting a Guard at 5 is never worth the pick because the position simply doesn't impact the game enough.  We should have selected a playmaker at 5.  

I'm strongly in Group B, but I understand why people of Group A see it the way they do.  But I don't feel like celebrating the success of a lesser player (position wise) just because he is a good Guard.  That isn't a "poor conclusion".  

Fair enough.

signed.

Group A

Well put me in group "C", knight.

better than "high quality guard", taking a 2X Pro Bowl guard who's never missed a game. Would be your best O-lineman, if you didn't have the best LT in pro football @ selection #5 is pretty darn good. And should be repeated, if at all possible & if there Is a need for it.

36 minutes ago, aceinthehouse said:

better than "high quality guard", taking a 2X Pro Bowl guard who's never missed a game. Would be your best O-lineman, if you didn't have the best LT in pro football @ selection #5 is pretty darn good. And should be repeated, if at all possible & if there Is a need for it.

Interesting comment. Sheriff would be our best OL “if we didn’t have the best LT in football.” Well doesn’t that just mean he’s not our best OL. Would have been a lot simpler to say Scherff is one of the best OGs in the NFL, a pro bowl OG and our 2nd best OL...

It doesn’t need to be repeated because we need Pro Browl caliber players in other positions except OL. 

Let’s work on getting another pro bowl caliber defender and re-sign the good C/G that we’ve been developing since 2014 - Spencer Long. 

Our team has a stronger likelihood of getting better if it adds another pro bowl caliber defender in round 1 rather than a pro bowl caliber OG. 

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Interesting comment. Sheriff would be our best OL “if we didn’t have the best LT in football.” Well doesn’t that just mean he’s not our best OL. Would have been a lot simpler to say Scherff is one of the best OGs in the NFL, a pro bowl OG and our 2nd best OL...

I think ace stated it just right. 

:P

2 hours ago, aceinthehouse said:

That's the problem.  Even a Pro Bowl Guard is only pretty darn good.  A playmaker on offense or a skilled defensive lineman could have been a homerun.  We hit a double.  

2 hours ago, TKellion said:

I am still laughing at you guys slamming the Scherf pick.What exactly has Williams ever done since he was drafted to say that he would have been a better pick lol.Get over it .

Laugh all you want. We missed out on three absolute difference makers. No matter how good Scherff is we still can't run the ball so it doesn't really mean much. 

Archived