2018 Vikings Draft Prospects - Defensive Line

swede700

1 hour ago, Dolmonite26 said:

More to see on Mo, but early impressions aren't overly impressive for me personally

Keep watching. Honestly my favorite interior defensive lineman to watch this past year outside of Vae....

Both him and Bryan have their flaws. Some games Bryan just sort of disappears. Hurst motor is there, but will over pursue. 

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

Keep watching. Honestly my favorite interior defensive lineman to watch this past year outside of Vae....

Both him and Bryan have their flaws. Some games Bryan just sort of disappears. Hurst motor is there, but will over pursue. 

Right on

Edit: lord have mercy! Just finished up watching Hurst's game against Michigan state and.....I can't remember watching a more dominate performance by a DT.

If I have seen one, It was probably Darnold in 2014, which is saying something.

But my god, Mo just dominated. It was really cool to watch cause there actually was a play early on where Mich St ran right at him and he got abused by the guard and bullied out of his gap.  It was a 60+ yard gain.  After that play tho, Hurst played like an absolute demon. Was just incredible to see that kind of response to a bad play and a good sign of how he responds to coaching cause he probably got his butt chewed out.

Still more to see but I thought I'd share this tidbit cause I was so impressed

4 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Right on

Edit: lord have mercy! Just finished up watching Hurst's game against Michigan state and.....I can't remember watching a more dominate performance by a DT.

But my god, Mo just dominated. It was really cool to watch cause there actually was a play early on where Mich St ran right at him and he got abused by the guard and bullied out of his gap.  It was a 60+ yard gain.  After that play tho, Hurst played like an absolute demon. Was just incredible to see that kind of response to a bad play and a good sign of how he responds to coaching cause he probably got his butt chewed out.

Ndamukong Suh’s performance against Texas (who would go on to the National Championship) in the  2009 Big XII Championship would be in my top 5 college performance of all-time, regardless of position.

I too am excited for the possibility of Hurst (or Bryan or Phillips), though. A good 3T would be the best upgrade for this team, outside of a good QB.

4 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Right on

First game I actually happened to watch of him. Probably why I fell so hard so early for him ? hopefully that heart issue just isn’t anything to serious! 

5 hours ago, Dolmonite26 said:

Right on

Assuming you mean this year, #scoreboard!!! Lol

On 3/5/2018 at 11:48 AM, rpmwr19 said:

Griffen was very effective against the Eagles, but the lack of an interior pass rush allowed Foles to step up into the pocket and out of pressure. On the deep bomb touchdown to Jeffery, Griffen had hands on Foles, but Foles was still able to step into the throw. 

3T has to be addressed this year either in free agency (unlikely if we are front loading a Cousins deal) or in the first two rounds. Defensive end we’ve had success finding guys in the third or fourth round (Griffen, Robison, Hunter all in those two rounds... Ray Edwards too if you go back further)

Agree on 3T as a priority.   I just threw out the DE upgrade as a possibility if a good one fell to 30 due to a run on QBs, LBs, OL, etc.

I'm unsure about Griffen being 'very effective' against the Iggles.  I would define 'very effective' as a few sacks and/or a strip sack, plenty of pressure, and maybe 1 or 2 TFLs.  The hands on Foles is moot if he got away and made the play, despite no pressure up the center.  DL is a unit, but individual players often have to make plays by themselves.

I’m not a big fan of stats determining effectiveness on defense but to each their own. Sacks are as much a team stat as any others. Hurries are more of an individualized stat, and Griffen did well there. Now, I say that knowing he was also going against a backup left tackle. 

Bad game as a unit for the defense, but I certainly wouldn’t point to ineffectiveness of the ends as a key contributor. 

On 3/6/2018 at 3:36 PM, rpmwr19 said:

I’m not a big fan of stats determining effectiveness on defense but to each their own. Sacks are as much a team stat as any others. Hurries are more of an individualized stat, and Griffen did well there. Now, I say that knowing he was also going against a backup left tackle. 

Bad game as a unit for the defense, but I certainly wouldn’t point to ineffectiveness of the ends as a key contributor. 

Agree that the defense had a bad game.  I didn't recall many plays by Griffen, but it seemed the Philly OL gave Foles more time than usual, and the DBs couldn't cover that long.  I guess we disagree mainly on degrees of effectiveness.  Your phrase on 3/5/18 was 'very effective' regarding Griffen.  I wouldn't go that far.  Perhaps I also considered his drop off in production in games leading up to the NFCC game. 

DE isn't a high need, but if there is uncertainty surrounding Robison and Griffen, a DE should be drafted after DT, OL, or signed in Free Agency.

44 minutes ago, Purplexing said:

DE isn't a high need, but if there is uncertainty surrounding Robison and Griffen, a DE should be drafted after DT, OL, or signed in Free Agency.

I understand why this idea that we don't need a DE is out there, but I don't totally agree with it. Not saying it is our highest priority, but I think it's higher than the perception of the need is. Worth noting too that Spielman brought up in one of his interviews (KFAN?) DEs who can slide down to DT on passing downs. Robison's likely almost done, and at 30 Griffen got his last big payday last summer and shouldn't be thought of as a super-longterm piece (5+ years)

I don't have specific targets in mind yet, but I'll be looking more into someone like Da'Shawn Hand.

To go back, here's my original post bringing up DEs from November....

This was what made me bring up DE as a possibility.....

We draft these guys in the middle rounds, and eventually rotate them in until they're good enough to take over as starter. This began even before Zimmer came in, so I think this is a product of Spielman.

Brian Robison (4th), Everson Griffen (4th), Danielle Hunter (3rd) all were mid-round guys who began as rotational pieces and eventually worked their way into a full-time role. But Robison is only under contract for one more season, so it'd be wise to begin looking for that next mid-round player who can begin as a rotational piece and hopefully work his way to take Griffen's spot when the 30-year old's contract is up. It's possible that this player is already on the roster, but I have my doubts. Bower was a UDFA and Weatherly a 7th rounder. I don't want to pencil them in as future starters, as I see them more as career backups.

And I'd look to target this player this year, because it would give them a year to learn with limited pressure while Robison is still on the roster. If you wait another year, you're counting on the guy to be an immediate contributor, which goes against the norm for this front office and coaching staff.

I fully expect a rotational piece to be added, and I’m all for it. You can never have enough pass rushers. I’m just of the thought that, barring a surprise fall, I wouldn’t take one in the first or second. 

Someone like Sam Hubbard in the 3rd would fit the profile. 

Agree with two posts above.  DE isn't an immediate need, but it is a developmental need, as stated by Klomp; i.e. 3rd or 4th round pick to rotate and contribute/ start in the long run.

Draft: DT (3T?), OL in 1st, 2nd rounds, and DE/DT, CB? in 3rd & 4th.  

Uncertainties about the effectiveness of Robison, Griffen, departure of Floyd, possible departure of Stephen, and the (slow?) development of recently drafted DL are a concern.

10 hours ago, rpmwr19 said:

I fully expect a rotational piece to be added, and I’m all for it. You can never have enough pass rushers. I’m just of the thought that, barring a surprise fall, I wouldn’t take one in the first or second. 

Someone like Sam Hubbard in the 3rd would fit the profile. 

That is exactly my thought process.  But, if there is a surprise fall to the 3rd round or later (like Griffen & Hunter who both had been projected to be 1st rounders), I can see them taking one there to plug in as a rotational piece.  

Archived