Free Agency Discussion

candyman93

10 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Alright I'll play... If we trade #4 for 12, 22 and more, I'm hoping Vita Vea is there. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Not sure about Vea but I keep saying keep your eye on Davenport and then maybe Oliver or Jackson at #22

10 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Should hve just kept Danny Shelton they’re the same played. It would be so Cleveland to draft Vea. He’s not even that good. Rather Taven Bryan 

I think Vea is better than Shelton. Kid reminds me of Ngata. But since I'm not allowed to draft trenches because this forum is a prison.... I'd also go Ridley here, Edmund, James, Ward, I'm high on Sutton too. Hughes maybe. Heck even Nelson or McGlinchey would work as well. (Yeah yeah I know don't talk about drafting lines.)  If we moved back to #12, we would have to put ourselves in the mindset to draft BPA at DB, DL, OL, WR, DE, LB. 

Also we are going to sign two tackles.... I need to quit working around the house when I get home from work. Straight NFL network and this forum for me. 

That is all

Mastecheddaar

Just because we didn't sign who a lot of us wanted doesn't mean the FO didn't put good work in.

We really don't know

Also speaks to why making trades instead of waiting until Free Agency was the correct move... even though it was thought to be the wrong approach for those assuming all would go as planned in one's fantasy once FA started

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

IMO the Browns not going hard after Johnson should speak volumes. I think they made an offer but didn’t go crazy for him. 

Browns need to get their #1 corner in the draft 

Nothing speaks volumes as we don't know why Johnson elected to go elsewhere.

Was it:

A. The Browns put out the Best Offer But Trumaine Preferred the Coaching Fit on the Jets

OR

B.. The Browns put out a good offer But the money with the Jets was close enough to where Trumaine chose a team/defense closer to winning

OR

C. The Browns actually didn't go that hard after him as being reported and the Jets offer was on a different level

OR

D. We Were in the Mix Late with Trumaine, but his Agent worked better with the Jets FO people and thought the New York football market would lead to more off field money

OR

Etc...

The point is there is no evidence for anything to speak volumes about anything. The only truth is that Trumaine Johnson is not on the Browns.

If I'm the Bills and i have all this draft capital, why would I trade with the Browns at 4 and not the Colts at 3 when I know a team can jump ahead of me at 3 and take the QB our Buffalo franchise desires.

Makes no sense to me.

I think a lot of it is wishful thinking by those of us that want to keep the massive draft haul going as long as possible.

And don't tell me the Colts don't want to give up the opportunity of having Saquon Barkley or Bradley Chubb just to get an insane draft haul that could save the Colts Franchise.

Chris Ballard was trained under John Dorsey; he understands that it is a total rebuild in Indy and that they are not 1 Saquon Barkley or 1 Bradley Chubb away from Andrew Luck leading them to the promise land.

They have no impact, pro bowl type players and are held together by spit, a gum wrapper, and duck tape....they have no impact WRs, no TE1 (Jack Doyle can be upgraded), no Bookend LT or RT, no sure fire guards, no RB, no CB1, no CB2, no SS.

They might not even have a Quarterback.... Ballard knows the clock is ticking especially with Andrew Luck and he definitely knows that if he doesn't accumulate assets and chips soon he will be out of a job in 2 years.

Ballard loves Barkley...loves Bradley Chubb, but every second of every single day  is desperately looking for the Broncos, Jets, and now especially the Bills to save him.

When he heard the Bills trade with the Bengals I'm sure the only thing that went through his mind was "Sh** I hope Gettleman at the Giants isn't the one to get those assets."

Giants are taking a QB at 2; Ballard will make the trade we all hoped we could make with Buffalo.

The first 4 picks will likely end up being QBs via trade or otherwise.

The Bills could look to trade up to 3 I guess, but who is going to be trying to jump up high for a QB at this point except for them?  They can come to 4:)

I dont want to do it for 12 and 22 though.  It has to be more.  A significant amount more

Just now, Kiwibrown said:

I have heard the Giants are exploring a trade down. 

All teams in the top 5 will be exploring trade downs. And or trade ups if they have their guy in mind. 

It may come down to already established relationships.

Well, I hope we dont get in a bidding war to trade DOWN and take less than equal value.  

I still want to trade down, badly, but it might have to be a lot further than we thought if we are to get a "haul"

Vita Vea is about 100x better than Danny Shelton. He's a top 5 player in this draft class and is able to rush the passer in addition to shut down the run game.

Vea is a superstar in the making. I'd love to have him especially now that we've gotten rid of Shelton.

Despite this, I'd rather have Derwin James or Denzel Ward if we trade down.

3 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Well, I hope we dont get in a bidding war to trade DOWN and take less than equal value.  

I still want to trade down, badly, but it might have to be a lot further than we thought if we are to get a "haul"

I agree. The quality of 12 can be nearly equal to 4. 

I wouldnt mind the trade down from 4 and back up to 7-8-9 with the 35th pick

You don't take Ward at 4 based on need although that will be what every Browns fan will be clamoring for from now on.

He's arguably not even the best CB in the draft (for me Mike Hughes is as do others in the scouting community).

Ward may very well be CB1 on the Browns board, but even if he is I'm willing to bet his grade is similar to Mike Hughes and not that far off from the likes of Carlton Davis and Jaire Alexander for whom most people aren't considering them as top 10 players.

If CB is the play, it would be better to trade back from 4 and get tremendous value and end up with 1 of either Mike Hughes or Denzel Ward.

It's been peculiar to me to see so many people praise Ward as if he's an immediate impact pro-bowl CB1 top 5 prospect.

He is a tremendous athlete, has great feet, and competes, but he has a lot of holes in his game when it comes to locating the ball and ball awareness, press man skill, and tackling that suggests he's not top 5 pick worthy.

If I had to put my chip on a CB, it would be Mike Hughes or Carlton Davis. Hughes is not the athlete that Ward is, but he has everything that Ward lacks in every other area and a competitive fire in his play style of the great CBs.

Ultimately, neither is worth a top 5 pick.

If we're taking a CB, trade back from 4 to the 8-12 range and select 1 of the top 2 (hopefully Mike Hughes).

7 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

You don't take Ward at 4 based on need although that will be what every Browns fan will be clamoring for from now on.

He's arguably not even the best CB in the draft (for me Mike Hughes is as do others in the scouting community).

Ward may very well be CB1 on the Browns board, but even if he is I'm willing to bet his grade is similar to Mike Hughes and not that far off from the likes of Carlton Davis and Jaire Alexander for whom most people aren't considering them as top 10 players.

If CB is the play, it would be better to trade back from 4 and get tremendous value and end up with 1 of either Mike Hughes or Denzel Ward.

It's been peculiar to me to see so many people praise Ward as if he's an immediate impact pro-bowl CB1 top 5 prospect.

He is a tremendous athlete, has great feet, and competes, but he has a lot of holes in his game when it comes to locating the ball and ball awareness, press man skill, and tackling that suggests he's not top 5 pick worthy.

If I had to put my chip on a CB, it would be Mike Hughes or Carlton Davis. Hughes is not the athlete that Ward is, but he has everything that Ward lacks in every other area and a competitive fire in his play style of the great CBs.

Ultimately, neither is worth a top 5 pick.

If we're taking a CB, trade back from 4 to the 8-12 range and select 1 of the top 2 (hopefully Mike Hughes).

Mike Hughes is legit. Day 1 starter imo and personally that assault at North Carolina was overblown. Just my opinion. I still think McCourty deserves to start he was fantastic last year 

2 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Mike Hughes is legit. Day 1 starter imo and personally that assault at North Carolina was overblown. Just my opinion. I still think McCourty deserves to start he was fantastic last year 

McCurry started the year well but played poorly down the stretch imo.

Irregardless of whether it is ward or another guy we need corner back for the boundary. On both sides. BBC is a player imo   

McCourty seems like a good dude and he could be a Josh McCown for our team. I'd keep him as a dime back .

If we had a good dB last year I think we may of won a game. 

Our needs are qbotf, cb, rb. 

LT if Joe retires. 

Archived