Yu Darvish Traded to LAD for Not Enough

ramssuperbowl99

@ramssuperbowl99@Thelonebillsfan

Our options were either:

- keep him and get a sandwich pick in the 70s/80s
- trade him for this package of a top 75 prospect, and 2 lottery tickets

Assuming this was the best offer out there, why don't you guys like this move?

I would MUCH rather have Calhoun than the pick so I'm trying to understand what is so bad about it.

7 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

Assuming this was the best offer out there, why don't you guys like this move?

It feels very likely that the Rangers could have gotten a better return had they put the effort into moving him earlier rather than pussyfooting around the idea of moving him.

Just now, iPwn said:

It feels very likely that the Rangers could have gotten a better return had they put the effort into moving him earlier rather than pussyfooting around the idea of moving him.

He's been viewed as available for over a month and according to reports we've had other teams scout his starts at our games for that time too. I don't think that is the issue.

4 minutes ago, DalCowboyzRule said:

He's been viewed as available for over a month and according to reports we've had other teams scout his starts at our games for that time too. I don't think that is the issue.

They didn’t actually tell any team he was available until a week ago. And even then, they specifically said they weren’t moving him unless their demands were met.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20152841/texas-rangers-ready-move-ace-yu-darvish-right-deal

15 minutes ago, iPwn said:

They didn’t actually tell any team he was available until a week ago. And even then, they specifically said they weren’t moving him unless their demands were met.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/20152841/texas-rangers-ready-move-ace-yu-darvish-right-deal

Yep. They did everything they could to make him unavailable, and then when they had to deal him, they ended up with only 1 team on the other end of the phone.

It's like saying you'll only sell your house to your neighbor, no one else, then wondering why your neighbor won't pay list price.

17 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Okay fair, but a week is still plenty of time to make any trade happen.

Clearly this Dodgers package was the best offer we got. And so when your options are either these 3 guys headlined by Willie Calhoun, or 12 Yu Darvish starts and a 2nd round sandwich pick, you take the prospects.

We had no leverage.

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because you boxed yourself into a corner. 

Yu is an ace level SP. Everyone wants one of those. If the team trading an ace away doesn't have leverage, that team ****ed up.

He is also a rental who will command $200+ million this offseason. Willie Calhoun is a better prospect than anything Oakland got for Gray and he has another year of control.

Did we play this perfectly? No. But at 3 pm I thought we kept him. At 3:10 I really thought we kept him. And so to come out of it with what we did is good with me.

Just now, DalCowboyzRule said:

He is also a rental who will command $200+ million this offseason. Willie Calhoun is a better prospect than anything Oakland got for Gray and he has another year of control.

Did we play this perfectly? No. But at 3 pm I thought we kept him. At 3:10 I really thought we kept him. And so to come out of it with what we did is good with me.

That $200M offseason commitment just shows you got screwed more than anything - some team is going to hand Darvish one of the 2 largest contracts for a SP in baseball history but you can't pull a top 50 prospect for one of his playoff runs?

You want to spin it, whatever. But Willie Calhoun is an above average hitter who has to DH. 

You got less than the Yankees got for a rental season of Chapman. You got less than the Tigers got for a rental season of Cespedes. You got less than the Padres got for 2 seasons of terrible and secretly injured Drew Pomeranz. You got less than the Tigers got for a rental season of David Price. You got less than the A's got for a rental season of Ben Zobrist. You got less than the Reds got for a rental season of Johnny Cueto and that wasn't even a good deal for the Reds because they are dumb.

I can go on and on. This trade is an outlier. 

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Yeah cause nobody thought Friedman was any good till a couple years ago.

Nope.

Anyway has nothing to do with Friedman anyway, any GM/POBO who did this would be lauded, because it's a good move. The Dodgers got an ace level SP for a pennant run for spare parts.

Define spare parts. Cause if Calhoun continues to rake, they wouldve found a place to play him. 

And I call BS on the friedman thing. You, and others, were in the gray trade thread pissing on Beane instead of "lauding" Cashman. That may have even been a better trade than this when when accounting for the fact Darvis is a 10-12 start rental at best and gray is under control for another year.

Archived