Yu Darvish Traded to LAD for Not Enough

ramssuperbowl99

Of course it was a better trade, Cashman has done nothing BUT make great trades the last couple years, it's just more fun to rip on Beane because, here's the kicker.

It's more fun to do that rather than just go "Phew, Cashman did work again". And I've been prepping the narrative of Beane getting table scraps for Gray since jump so I don't really see why my focus on him getting played over Cashman making a deal that didn't include any of his actual prospects other than Mateo and two "pray they can actually get back" level guys.

People can, gasp, do more than one thing and react more than one way or focus on more than one aspect of a deal. Jon Daniels ****ed up hard last year and will be spending the next half decade recovering. He road a mediocre team with ridiculous, unsustainable peripherals last year and hoped he could patch the holes later, and everything that could have gone wrong went wrong.

Also yes, Calhoun was spare parts for the Dodgers, they don't have a DH to hide him behind and there's no spots on that MIF that are open to notable at bats to make adequate use of the potential value of a bat first player. They weren't going to bench Forsythe/Utley for him for considerable time, and that's his only spot.

2 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Also yes, Calhoun was spare parts for the Dodgers, they don't have a DH to hide him behind and there's no spots on that MIF that are open to notable at bats to make adequate use of the potential value of a bat first player. They weren't going to bench Forsythe/Utley for him for considerable time, and that's his only spot.

As I already said, if he continues to rake he finds a way in the lineup. Platoon him in the outfield and until 2nd is open to everyday AB's. or just keep hi in the outfield.

And to be clear, your argument for why you complimented Friedman but bagged on Beane instead of complimenting Cashman is because its MORE surprising that Friedman made a good move. Is that really what youre saying, cause thats just awful. 

21 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Of course it was a better trade,

I'm not sure I'd say that. The Yankees deal has the potential to go wrong for them - Gray has been up and down and the prospects involved have a bunch of upside even though there is risk. 

The Rangers gave up a much better pitcher and got substantially less. I know it's a rental and Gray is more valuable, but the Rangers package has no shot at any real star in it. 

It's not a great return but the Rangers waited too long and simply had no leverage.  They couldn't make a decision on whether to buy or sell until a few days ago and it cost them a chance at a better return.

14 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Define spare parts. Cause if Calhoun continues to rake, they wouldve found a place to play him. 

And I call BS on the friedman thing. You, and others, were in the gray trade thread pissing on Beane instead of "lauding" Cashman. That may have even been a better trade than this when when accounting for the fact Darvis is a 10-12 start rental at best and gray is under control for another year.

Really? He's been lauded on here as the best GM in the game for almost a decade now. AA had a period where some put him up there. Theo obviously as well. But Friedman has consistently been there. That's why when he moved from the Rays to the Dodgers and their pocket book people were saying the Dodgers are going to be the powerhouse team like 1950's Yankees style.

I don't see why you can't bash 1 GM and Laud the other in the same trade. 1 did will the other botched it. There is more hate on Beane for the Gray trade because he held the cards. If he didn't get a good return he didn't have to make the trade.

It's the hot take of hot takes to say "oh this forum loves AF" as if that's a bad thing. He inherited like $80M/year in bad deals between AGon, Kemp, Ethier, and Crawford, either got out from under them with trades or is eating those deals and still has the Dodgers on pace to win 114 goddamn games.

6 minutes ago, coors said:

Does it seem like the Rangers waiting too long? Everyone seems to think they could have gotten more for him.

I don't think it is that they waited too long in terms of when they made a trade but waited too long to make him available for trade or be really open to it. It was late enough that some teams had already made the trades they wanted to or at least the plans. And while a massive trade can be done in a week it is cutting it close. If they wanted more significant prospects they really need longer talks.

13 minutes ago, mse326 said:

I don't think it is that they waited too long in terms of when they made a trade but waited too long to make him available for trade or be really open to it. It was late enough that some teams had already made the trades they wanted to or at least the plans. And while a massive trade can be done in a week it is cutting it close. If they wanted more significant prospects they really need longer talks.

Makes sense, they should have been open and listening for a while now.

10 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's the hot take of hot takes to say "oh this forum loves AF" as if that's a bad thing. He inherited like $80M/year in bad deals between AGon, Kemp, Ethier, and Crawford, either got out from under them with trades or is eating those deals and still has the Dodgers on pace to win 114 goddamn games.

Whats your point, that the Dodgers have a lot of money? And the only contract he got rid of was Kemp, everyone else is or was on that team when they retired. so what exactly are you trying to get across here?

Archived