diamondbull424

The Offseason target  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you most prefer?

• Dez Bryant
    • Jordy Nelson
    • Jimmy Graham
    • Sammy Watkins

Nothing we've done this year will mean anything in 2-3 years. Crabtree with be gone/retired. Brown and Snead will likely both be gone as well. I feel like this is ultimately just the "one last shot" for Flacco to win before he retires and we blow up the entire offense (again) and rebuild with a new system and QB.

If this is our final WR group going into the season (in terms of WR's 1-4 with Crabtree/Brown/Snead/Moore)....it's not very good. Certainly not much better (if at all) than at the start of last year.

3 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Nothing we've done this year will mean anything in 2-3 years. Crabtree with be gone/retired. Brown and Snead will likely both be gone as well. I feel like this is ultimately just the "one last shot" for Flacco to win before he retires and we blow up the entire offense (again) and rebuild with a new system and QB.

If this is our final WR group going into the season (in terms of WR's 1-4 with Crabtree/Brown/Snead/Moore)....it's not very good. Certainly not much better (if at all) than at the start of last year.

Really? I disagree, Maclin was the #1 and was hurt for most of the year. When he did play he played soft. Crabtree is a clear upgrade in that regard. Wallace was good, but a one trick pony, I think John Brown will be just as good. Snead is a clear upgrade over Perriman, and Moore. Add in Moore getting more reps/should be better then last year, then there is a clear upgrade all across the board. I think you forget perriman was slated to be the # 2 WR last year before they signed Maclin.. Now Perriman will be lucky to even see the field. 

PS I 100%think they will go WR within the first 2 rounds. So that will make the group even better

1 hour ago, paraven said:

Really? I disagree, Maclin was the #1 and was hurt for most of the year. When he did play he played soft. Crabtree is a clear upgrade in that regard. Wallace was good, but a one trick pony, I think John Brown will be just as good. Snead is a clear upgrade over Perriman, and Moore. Add in Moore getting more reps/should be better then last year, then there is a clear upgrade all across the board. I think you forget perriman was slated to be the # 2 WR last year before they signed Maclin.. Now Perriman will be lucky to even see the field. 

PS I 100%think they will go WR within the first 2 rounds. So that will make the group even better

Key phrase I used was going into the season. Going into last year Maclin was healthy and so was everyone else, and I think a healthy Maclin/Wallace last year was about as highly regarded as Crabtree/Brown is right now. Snead is the obvious upgrade, but even then it depends on if it's 2016 Snead or 2017 Snead.

19 hours ago, paraven said:

Yea, the question of whether they are going to avoid the position having signed three FA WR keeps coming up, but I think that ignores one key aspect of the signings.

One thing that hasn't really been touched on (as far as I've seen) is how they staggered the lengths of the contracts.  

Brown -> 1 year
Snead -> 2 year
Crabtree -> 3 year

It's lined up quite well for this group to be transitional to more young guys they bring in over the next couple years.

20 hours ago, paraven said:

I agree but only because I think this receiving core is tougher and has better hands. But I don’t think it’s well above last years unit at the top.

Crabtree > Wallace: The biggest issues is Flacco couldn’t get the ball deep to Wallace early on and that reduced his deep WR impact. But both players are fringe 1000 yd receiver talents. Wallace more consistent with reaching that level. He also has the potential to open things up underneath by taking away a safety because you have to respect his speed. While Crabtree makes up for that with better hands, toughness, and red zone ability. I’d give a slight edge to Crabtree, but not by much. Very similar to Torrey Smith vs Anquan Boldin in terms of who was better.

John Brown << Jeremy Maclin: Hindsight with Maclin is 20/20. But he has some solid quickness and route running that make him a solid player. He was considered a 800-1000 yd option that could get back to that level. His durability concerns really came to a head though. Brown is talked about like he’s young. He’s two years younger than Maclin, which is only a year younger than what Maclin was for us last year. Combine that with the health concerns and there’s a lot to dislike about the chances that he “bounces” back.

Willie Snead >> Breshad Perriman: Both had terrible 2017 seasons. Snead at least has shown to be someone that can put up great yardage in his career. That said, he was playing with Drew Brees and Perriman was playing with a Flacco that couldn’t deliver the ball deep to accommodate for him being a one trick pony.

Chris Moore > Chris Moore: Theoretically we should assume Moore will improve on his 17’ version of himself, but one could’ve said the same thing for 17’ Snead and Perriman at the end of 16’. No great improvement can therefore be assumed.

Perriman > the field: Insert best joke about Perriman being worse than the field HERE. But really Perriman literally can’t be worse than 17’. As it was one of the worst displays of crappiness from any Ravens receiver. It was Corey Ivy levels of horribleness. That said, Flacco couldn’t push the ball deep and Perriman has been a walking injury to this point, so he has no nuance and hasn’t developed underneath. I don’t have much faith, but I honestly think Perriman will ultimately compete with and eventually beat out John Brown as our deep threat. Though neither will probably beat out whatever rookie WR we bring in IMO.

When Flacco pushed the ball deep, Perriman juggled it. Also, I have never seen a player not named Kenny Britt who gave up as fast as Perriman did running routes.

With what we have done, we have set ourselves up to pick BPA. I wouldn't be suprised to see us get receivers in the later rounds. Players like DaeSean Hamilton who are ready to go, and a Daurice Fountain later who has the upside.

19 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Makes sense from his perspective.  Just not a reality with our cap situation.  He'll likely have to go to a poor team that still has enough cap room, or do something like what the Pats did with Revis (ridiculous option that is going to be declined to spread first year hit with bonus).

20 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Every signing Baltimore has done this offseason was for the short term "last shot run" for Flacco. I don't see why Baltimore wasn't willing to do the 1 year deal since Baltimore will be cleaning house assuming it's another season without playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Stance Punk said:

Every signing Baltimore has done this offseason was for the short term "last shot run" for Flacco. I don't see why Baltimore wasn't willing to do the 1 year deal since Baltimore will be cleaning house assuming it's another season without playoffs. 

Because Dez wants a big 1-year deal. That means a big cap hit this season, which the Ravens can't afford. Snead's is only going to be $2 million, where Bryant's will probably be three or four times that. 

4 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Because Dez wants a big 1-year deal. That means a big cap hit this season, which the Ravens can't afford. Snead's is only going to be $2 million, where Bryant's will probably be three or four times that. 

No more info than anyone else here, but I'm guessing that "big one-year deal" starts at $8MM for the year (your "four times that" number).  I'm guessing he's not signed for less than $10MM.

16 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

No more info than anyone else here, but I'm guessing that "big one-year deal" starts at $8MM for the year (your "four times that" number).  I'm guessing he's not signed for less than $10MM.

Exactly. Had he been made available around the same time as Crabtree we might’ve had time to retroactively fail John Brown’s physical too and gave his money to Dez.?

24 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Exactly. Had he been made available around the same time as Crabtree we might’ve had time to retroactively fail John Brown’s physical too and gave his money to Dez.?

Ozzie and Decosta this offseason-

6c6d0e53917b722d00ab2d77f2b44efd.gif

Archived