Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Random thought - sorry to see Barrows move to a paid site. I always like dhis reporting. Found in accurate and balanced. Two things sorely missing oftentimes these days.

Honestly, the athletic is probably worth the pay. I went ahead and succumbed and got it (first time ever paying). A lot of times there is a 40 or 50% off for the first year. If you're a fan of multiple sports like I am, I'd recommend it. If you typically only watch / follow football, maybe not. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, the athletic is probably worth the pay. I went ahead and succumbed and got it (first time ever paying). A lot of times there is a 40 or 50% off for the first year. If you're a fan of multiple sports like I am, I'd recommend it. If you typically only watch / follow football, maybe not. 

Definitely worth it, but I also like it for the NBA, in particular the Warriors. 

I love The Athletic. It is absolutely worth a subscription. I'd say even if you only follow football. Matt Barrows not only has his column, but also a really enjoyable podcast. I would get it only for that. But I do also read their hockey, basketball, and college sports. Some baseball. 

1 hour ago, PapaShogun said:

Why is every notable reporter going to The Athletic now? 

http://awfulannouncing.com/athletic/the-athletic-has-reportedly-offered-writers-15-36-percent-salary-bumps-small-stakes-in-company.html

That could do it, perhaps. Also just being paid a steady subscriber-based wage instead of a column-per-column basis. It allows the writers less pressure and to focus more on their craft without having to hit a "home run" that will be popular 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mw2noobbuster said:

http://awfulannouncing.com/athletic/the-athletic-has-reportedly-offered-writers-15-36-percent-salary-bumps-small-stakes-in-company.html

That could do it, perhaps. Also just being paid a steady subscriber-based wage instead of a column-per-column basis. It allows the writers less pressure and to focus more on their craft without having to hit a "home run" that will be popular 

Sounds good. 

He isn't getting in any on his first or second or third ballot, but eventually he gets in IMO. I agree that his peak isn't quite as strong as other HOF RBs, but he was super consistent and has the longevity to eventually get in. And when is five pro bowls looked at in a bad light? Dude who wrote the article said "only five" pro bowl trips. I mean TO only had six trips I believe, and Moss around the same.

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

He isn't getting in any on his first or second or third ballot, but eventually he gets in IMO. I agree that his peak isn't quite as strong as other HOF RBs, but he was super consistent and has the longevity to eventually get in. And when is five pro bowls looked at in a bad light? Dude who wrote the article said "only five" pro bowl trips. I mean TO only had six trips I believe, and Moss around the same.

I found that peculiar as well, but maybe its a higher bar for running backs or something? I'm not sure, I've never dug into that. But I think 5 pro bowls is a fine number to hang a HOF case on. 

But maybe it's more meaningful with regards to the lack of first team all pro status? 

Right, if he mentioned that then I wouldn't have nothing against that argument. That is very fair. His lack of all pro selections. But dude made five pro bowls and that's something to be celebrated for. 

What will be interesting is to see how guys like McCoy end their careers. Because at his best he was better and may have enough longevity and overall numbers to get in over Gore. That could delay Gore getting in for a few more years. Luckily for Gore, not many others coming close to retirement that have close to his overall stats. 

Random hypothetical - 

If you had to pick just one, who do you think deserves enshrinement more in the hall of fame. 

Joe Staley or Frank Gore? 

Gore has all the bulk stats backing his case. There's nobody even close to him in rushing yards and total yards from scrimmage who isn't in the hall of fame. But the arguments can be made that he was never truly elite, and outside of one year, was seldom considered a top 3 type running back in the NFL. There's really not a negative thing you can say about Gore, but some people don't love him as "great". 

Staley obviously doesn't have the stats being an offensive linemen. But when all is said and done, he will have a rather healthy career at left tackle. He's currently at 158 games started and under contract for two more years. If he played all 16 games each season, that would put him at 190 starts. For comparison against other great tackles in history, Willie Roaf started 189, Walter Jones 180. Whitworth is currently at 183, so will be at close to 200. Ogden played 177 while Pace had 169. Joe Thomas started 167. Staley was never a first time all pro (his mistake for coming along at a time that included Joe Thomas lol), but he's a 3 time AP all pro second team member, a 2 time PFF 2nd team all pro member, and a 1 time Football's Weekly (thinking this is defunct now) all pro member first team. So while Staley doesn't have the stats Gore does, he does appear to have been slightly more well regarded during his playing career in relation to his contemporaries. 

Staley currently has 6 pro bowls, Gore has 5. 

At first, I was thinking it was a no brainer Gore selection, but I won't lie...I feel like Staley may have a legit case. 

Personally? I would rather have Gore go to the hall over Staley and its a no brainer. 

The game of football just means so much to Frank. Its what he lives and breathes for. Given his background and where he came from, it would make for a great story. 

GOREVER A 49ER

• Like 1