Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Great article on Jimmy by the MMQB:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/07/24/jimmy-garoppolo-tom-brady-san-francisco-49ers

Jimmy Garoppolo is standing at the 40-yard line, play sheet in hand. It’s June, mid-minicamp in Santa Clara, Calif., and the quarterback with the perfect record, swarthy good looks and $137.5 million contract is serving after-practice detention.

The punishment is self-imposed; six false starts by the offense left him no choice. Garoppolo called over left tackle Joe Staley during the third team period and informed him they would all be staying late.

So thirty-some 49ers players surround the quarterback in the black No. 10 jersey, long after the defense has gone inside, tuning their ears to the Chicago accent piercing the late-afternoon breeze. Garoppolo announces a play, then the corresponding cadence, a code of numbers and colors that refers to either a specific command or, well, nothing at all. Tense in their stances, the guys are waiting to hear their QB bark the word that means “go.”

It’s a pretty good approximation of what the rest of the Bay Area has been doing since the trade that shocked the NFL: hanging on every last thing Garoppolo does. Has there ever been so much hype surrounding a team coming off a 10-loss season? Has there ever been a veteran passer with seven starts to his name who’s carried greater expectations?

Right now, Garoppolo is just trying to make sure every offensive player is used to his cadence—he hasn’t even been here a full calendar year, after all. It’s tedious work, running through infinite combos of the same words. But for these 20 minutes, Garoppolo gets to control the tempo.

• Like 1

Kollmann with another great breakdown video. It's supposed to be Giant-centric but ends up being a lot of game film on how the Niners abused the Jacksonville defense. Shanny is just killing it with the scheming.

On 8/6/2018 at 5:21 PM, Geek said:

Kollmann with another great breakdown video. It's supposed to be Giant-centric but ends up being a lot of game film on how the Niners abused the Jacksonville defense. Shanny is just killing it with the scheming.

They almost lost me at, "aging but still above average quarterback". 

I did love when discussing the third and 7 pass to goodwin, they talk about keeping Hyde in to block, and then you watch the play and realize that Hyde never did a thing and completely missed the one pass rusher that broke through on his right LOL. Just a funny scene. 

• Like 1

@Forge in the first episode of hard knocks they had a cut away scene with Hyde trying to pass block and getting beat badly. He was standing there with a visibly frustrated coach. He really wasn't useful in the passing game... I miss Frank Gore 

Chris Biderman leaving niners wire to become the 49ers beat man for the Bee (taking over for Barrows, who left for the Athletic). I've liked the little stuff that Biderman has put out for Ninerswire, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he'll do at the Bee. 

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 10:59 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

It is never a money issue, just the off set language part of the deal. And as Barrows pointed out, he is a CAA client and they tend to be the hardest to negotiate their rookie deals. Par for the course, but yes the unique part about Pettis is he is the lone 2nd rounder remaining to be signed. 

Random thought - sorry to see Barrows move to a paid site. I always like dhis reporting. Found in accurate and balanced. Two things sorely missing oftentimes these days.