Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

Just now, Forge said:

I said it in the other thread- pretty sure Frank is worse than la confora. I'd put absolutely no stock in this until others start reporting rumors

Ah, I wasn't aware. Hadn't even heard of the guy until this post. 

But I want to believe. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I said it in the other thread- pretty sure Frank is worse than la confora. I'd put absolutely no stock in this until others start reporting rumors

Yeah, definitely not a guy I'd bank on for breaking any Niners news.

Though I'd love to have Graham. So for the time being could we give Frank the benefit of the doubt?????? :D

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, definitely not a guy I'd bank on for breaking any Niners news.

Though I'd love to have Graham. So for the time being could we give Frank the benefit of the doubt?????? :D

lol. Yeah, that would be a huge coup if we landed him. So I'm all for the wishful thinking of a blind Vincent Frank finding a nut this one time. 

I would imagine signing Sherman would not preclude Lynch/Shanahan from signing another corner or two in free agency, right?‬ (‪Benson Collins)
The 49ers were extremely excited about the development of Ahkello Witherspoon as a rookie. But other than Witherspoon, the 49ers do not have a starter-caliber cornerback on their roster.

Two scheduled free agents who I believe are system fits – and, possibly salary fits – are Aaron Colvin (Jacksonville) and Rashaan Melvin (Indianapolis). Regardless of what happens with Sherman, I expect the 49ers to at least investigate the possibility of getting a deal done with either of those two players.

I think we get Sherman, getting someone like Colvin makes a lot of sense. I mentioned Breeland in the other thread as he could play the slot, but so can Colvin. Only thing is they did give Williams that extension and he finished the season strong, so what happens there? 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yep, and that's why I don't think even with signing him should prevent us from going after the other top corners on the market. Maybe Breeland becomes more of a target since he could play in the slot? 

Corners are partticularly expensive.  One big money guy like Sherman, and maybe not real, real high given his injury, along with Spoon. Then draft Ward who will become as good as any of the guys on the market. That should take care of that position. Maybe eventually draft another guy with a pretty high pick next year or the year after

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think we get Sherman, getting someone like Colvin makes a lot of sense. I mentioned Breeland in the other thread as he could play the slot, but so can Colvin. Only thing is they did give Williams that extension and he finished the season strong, so what happens there? 

Sherman and Melvin make more sense then Colvin. Colvin is more of a slot guy and Jimmie Ward/Adrian Colbert both played corner in college can play some slot in nickel as well. The Seattle scheme worked best when they had big physical corners. 

Yes, we already have Witherspoon so getting Sherman and Melvin means one gets demoted to the 4th CB. Do we need to spend decent amount of money on a 4th corner? We need to sign a corner that could at least play the slot, preferably both spots if we get Sherman. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good corners are expensive but how big of a deal do you think Sherman nets coming off his injury? 

Yep that's why I said "maybe not real, real high". I just read above that he had a second surgery.  Serious or not that should lower his price even more. 

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Graham would be fantastic. We are Soooooo desperate for pass rushers. With Dumervil gone we've got a tie among a few guys for team sack lead ... with 3 sacks!

If we don't get a pass rusher through trade of free agency, I think Harold Landry at 9 has to be an extremely realistic expectation. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we don't get a pass rusher through trade of free agency, I think Harold Landry at 9 has to be an extremely realistic expectation. 

Maybe.  I kine of view that as a last resort though.  I think we can't afford to miss with pick 9 and Landry has more "miss" potential than other guys that will be there.  Of course he might have more upside at a position of need too. High risk, high reward. Please sign Graham and let us shoot for an edge guy next year. Maybe that class will be better than this one ... of course we'll be picking near the bottom of the first so chances might not be much better :D