Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

23 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I just read that Buffalo might interested in moving Cordy Glenn. Any thought about trading Arik for him if we are indeed not interested in re-signing Brown. Maybe we could even get a pick for him. There might be a contender out there interested in getting him even if for only one year.

Ahh. THere goes Glenn.

In my original mock I had us signing Ansah and Pugh because I thought we could afford to address two of our glaring needs in FA.  I like Richburg as much as Pugh - if he's healthy, and of course I love Sherman - if he's healthy.  So we did fill two holes - so far. If we sign a WR, a RB or a LB that will be gravy to me. Our needs at LB and RB are so big that I'd be happy with a competent mid-tier guy at either of those spots while we draft and develop our long term starter.

2 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

In my original mock I had us signing Ansah and Pugh because I thought we could afford to address two of our glaring needs in FA.  I like Richburg as much as Pugh - if he's healthy, and of course I love Sherman - if he's healthy.  So we did fill two holes - so far. If we sign a WR, a RB or a LB that will be gravy to me. Our needs at LB and RB are so big that I'd be happy with a competent mid-tier guy at either of those spots while we draft and develop our long term starter.

McKinnon, Lewis, Crowell are all guys out there that I think would be great and relatively inexpensive adds at RB. Really think we should go that route and pick up a guy in the middle of the draft. The LB I wanted (Hitchens) is gone. No WRs really strike me as interesting at this point and would rather look to the draft to add a tall red zone threat. Still would love to have either Graham or Eiffert at TE, but not sure we'll be looking at either (and am happy with Kittle getting a full year's look with Garoppolo anyway). 

But yeah, with the exception of the pass rushers going, this free agency is going the way I thought it would, and I'm happy with that.

• Like 1

--The most likely position that the 49ers will address next is running back. The two guys to keep an eye on are Jerick McKinnon and Dion Lewis. Both fit the mold of a chess piece that Kyle Shanahan wants for his offense. I do not foresee the 49ers bringing back Carlos Hyde. As I’ve stated repeatedly, the 49ers are looking for a running back who can make more plays on his own.

--Weston Richburg was the offensive lineman the 49ers wanted because of his fit of the system and his versatility to play either center or guard. I’m not sure, exactly, how they are going to approach that, but I’d guess Daniel Kilgore starts at center and Richburg takes over at one of the guard spots. (The 49ers were never in on Andrew Norwell. As I’ve said in the past, he was not a fit for Shanahan's scheme which places an emphasis on linemen who can move.)

-Matt Maiocco. 

There's more on his facebook page.

Edited by NcFinest9erFan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, John232 said:

RZ woes will continue if he's at guard and Kilgore is at Center.  Too small.  Need Nelson. 

Jordy Neslon released.

I'm not saying this is how it's going to go, but I was pretty adamant previously that I would wait for free agency (which again, hasn't even started, much less ended) before putting expectations on the season. But, if the only thing we do from here on out is depth guys and marginal free agents, I don't see a playoff team here yet. Too many moving parts that would need to bust out, particularly on defense and offensive line. 

• Like 1