Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

I like keeping these numbers in circulation. Unless a player pulls an Aldon, I don't feel like the new players wearing old favourites' numbers actually taint them. Even Foster and is legal issues aren't tainting the memory of Fred Quillan (yes, I had to google that). I don't feel like it insults their memory. I don't feel slighted when I see Thomas play with 94, and I don't feel it diminishes the love I had for Justin Smith. It's just a number, it's just a way to identify the player, it's not his legacy (unless your legal name becomes Ocho Cinco). Honestly, if in the future (I know it won't happen) I saw a #21 with the Niners, I think it would only make me want to go on youtube to watch Frank Gore highlights and have a smile on my face. I wouldn't get angry at the organization and the player for betraying the memory of Frank. It's really just a number. 

49 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I like keeping these numbers in circulation. Unless a player pulls an Aldon, I don't feel like the new players wearing old favourites' numbers actually taint them. Even Foster and is legal issues aren't tainting the memory of Fred Quillan (yes, I had to google that). I don't feel like it insults their memory. I don't feel slighted when I see Thomas play with 94, and I don't feel it diminishes the love I had for Justin Smith. It's just a number, it's just a way to identify the player, it's not his legacy (unless your legal name becomes Ocho Cinco). Honestly, if in the future (I know it won't happen) I saw a #21 with the Niners, I think it would only make me want to go on youtube to watch Frank Gore highlights and have a smile on my face. I wouldn't get angry at the organization and the player for betraying the memory of Frank. It's really just a number. 

I would agree if the team did not already decide to retire numbers. Because this has been an established way to honor 49er greats, it needs to happen consistently for all the greats. If we were like the Cowboys and chose not to retire numbers, I'd be totally fine with seeing them reissued.

I think the Yankees have already retired every single digit number.  Probably got another 10 to 15 retired on top of that. If that happened with us we'd either end up with guys wearing the same number on opposite side of the line like college teams do, or three digit numbers (not allowed, right?).

19 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would agree if the team did not already decide to retire numbers. Because this has been an established way to honor 49er greats, it needs to happen consistently for all the greats. If we were like the Cowboys and chose not to retire numbers, I'd be totally fine with seeing them reissued.

I can understand the desire for consistency, but still, it does nothing for me one way or the other. Any way, this question was raised mostly in regard to re-issueing 53, and whether or not Navorro qualifies as one of the all-time greats. My take on that is that he doesn't necessarily do. At some point, not every great player has to be honored. It doesn't mean their accomplishments aren't to be recognized. I'm sure all you long time niner fans can tell me countless stories about great players whose numbers aren't retired, and still in used. I'm sure there are great stories about a guy who wore Raheem Mostert's number.

13 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I can understand the desire for consistency, but still, it does nothing for me one way or the other. Any way, this question was raised mostly in regard to re-issueing 53, and whether or not Navorro qualifies as one of the all-time greats. My take on that is that he doesn't necessarily do. At some point, not every great player has to be honored. It doesn't mean their accomplishments aren't to be recognized. I'm sure all you long time niner fans can tell me countless stories about great players whose numbers aren't retired, and still in used. I'm sure there are great stories about a guy who wore Raheem Mostert's number.

I think Donte Whitner qualifies as the greatest #31 in 49er history. Not sure you need a ton of great Whitner stories. 

6 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think Donte Whitner qualifies as the greatest #31 in 49er history. Not sure you need a ton of great Whitner stories. 

To be totally honest, I didn't even remember Mostert's number. I don't even identify him by his number, I just know it's him when he's the first flying in on a special team tackle. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

It's near impossible to forget Wallace and his concussion shell. But he also wasn't quite the player Staley is. And Dean was great, but played less than 5 seasons with the team.

We'll have to disagree regarding the Staley/Wallace comparison, but I get the logic behind Dean. Makes sense, regardless if he's in the HOF.