Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

30 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So he lost only like 10 pounds since the draft? Was he higher in his rookie season or something? 

He could be exactly the same size and weigh more because muscle weighs more per volume than fat does.  But hopefully it's more a case of losing 20 pounds of fat and gaining 10 pounds of muscle. Net 10 pound loss, but significant difference in body.

So Shanny was asked why they didn't go after any of the top FA WRs and he basically said it is not worth paying 15 million for okay WRs. Fair, but how about paying around 18 million for someone of Beckham's caliber? I'm guessing that is how much it will take? Or close to it? You would prefer to pay that much money to a premiere pass rusher or DL, but that may be the going rate for elite WRs. He also said in the same interview that it isn't a must to have someone of Julio Jones caliber, just that it is a big advantage if you do. 

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So Shanny was asked why they didn't go after any of the top FA WRs and he basically said it is not worth paying 15 million for okay WRs. Fair, but how about paying around 18 million for someone of Beckham's caliber? I'm guessing that is how much it will take? Or close to it? You would prefer to pay that much money to a premiere pass rusher or DL, but that may be the going rate for elite WRs. He also said in the same interview that it isn't a must to have someone of Julio Jones caliber, just that it is a big advantage if you do. 

QBs and pass rushers impact a game enough to be worth what the market for good ones is. But what do you think about WRs.  I want a good one as much as anyone.  But is the incremental value of what you would get from a $18-20 million a year receiver over just an average guy or slightly better than average guy worth it? If the difference in cost is something like $10 million a year you can buy a pro bowl G for that price, give your QB extra time and that aaverage WR might be as productive as the really expensive one. Well, maybe. I don't know.

Yes, the difference in value is equal to how much actual impact they have. QB always touches the ball. Rusher always pursues the ball. WR? Well, they don't always catch the ball and they may not even block for whomever has it. So, the value is greater with the consistent impact. QB & Rushers should be paid more than WRs, IMO.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

QBs and pass rushers impact a game enough to be worth what the market for good ones is. But what do you think about WRs.  I want a good one as much as anyone.  But is the incremental value of what you would get from a $18-20 million a year receiver over just an average guy or slightly better than average guy worth it? If the difference in cost is something like $10 million a year you can buy a pro bowl G for that price, give your QB extra time and that aaverage WR might be as productive as the really expensive one. Well, maybe. I don't know.

Definitely, but I think I would still do it. Beckham is a complete game changer that has made Eli look solid. Without Beckham? Eli was getting benched and seen as washed up. 

Supposedly the Giants are asking for two 1st rounders for Beckham, but I don't see that happening. I think our 1st and next year's 2nd would do. 

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Definitely, but I think I would still do it. Beckham is a complete game changer that has made Eli look solid. Without Beckham? Eli was getting benched and seen as washed up. 

Supposedly the Giants are asking for two 1st rounders for Beckham, but I don't see that happening. I think our 1st and next year's 2nd would do. 

$20 million a year on the FA market would be a lot. The 9th pick plus a future second would be a lot to move up in the draft to get a great receiver.  Giving up both the 9th and a 2nd and then paying $20 million a year on top of that is probably too much of a price for me to consider. It eats into both kinds of capital we have - draft choices and cap money.

Not a decision that I'd be upset over, but needs to come with some contract stipulation. I joke a lot about Jimmy G, and do think he'll be very good.. but oh my.. with a talent like ODB3 on the field? Super Jimmy arrives instantly. 

Have been half-joking about this season being a SB year... but hey... adding ODB3 would send me shopping for the SB tickets tonight. 

If he would sign a lucrative as heck contract that protects the team from potential meltdowns?  DO IT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Not a decision that I'd be upset over, but needs to come with some contract stipulation. I joke a lot about Jimmy G, and do think he'll be very good.. but oh my.. with a talent like ODB3 on the field? Super Jimmy arrives instantly. 

Have been half-joking about this season being a SB year... but hey... adding ODB3 would send me shopping for the SB tickets tonight. 

If he would sign a lucrative as heck contract that protects the team from potential meltdowns?  DO IT

See, I like this thinking too. We are in playoff contention.  If there's anything we can do to improve our chances of getting to the playoffs and going deep into them then I'm for it ... well, within reason of course, and that of course makes everything not so clear.  In any case, like I said last week.  Screw being patient and building for the future. The future is now.

• Like 2

From Greg Bedard's article:

"A Bill Belichick-friendly source agreed with my thinking that once a player makes Belichick start to contemplate life without him, Belichick starts to warm to being without that player. ‘He imagines you gone,’ [the source] said. The longer Gronkowski goes without saying he’s all in, the chances of him being traded increases, the source said.”

Bedard said that “everyone agreed the 49ers would be the ideal trade partner.” He spoke to an AFC general manager who offered some specific reasons why the 49ers would make sense if Gronk was available.

“Put him back with Garoppolo, they have nothing at tight end, they have the cap space ($46 million) and maybe Lynch will overpay to make up for the deal Belichick gave him on Jimmy,’ one AFC general manager said. ‘And you don’t have to worry about Gronk in your conference.’”

https://www.ninersnation.com/2018/3/30/17180050/rob-gronkowski-trade-rumors-49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-bill-belichick

Gronk to the Niners!!!!! But seriously, I doubt this guy plays past next season. When you start contemplating retirement, the end is near. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John232 said:

I wonder what the asking price is, I'd maybe see if I could do a 4th/5th + Armstead. (Every trade I propse will involve Armstead).

Really not keen on giving anything more than a 4th. 

Add Beadles and we hav a deal!

Gronk's best years are behind him, but he still has some amazing years ahead of him should he decide to keep on playing. He's like Willis, amazing career that could have put him in the GOAT conversation if he doesn't hang them up early.