Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think obj is deal that could be worked out during the draft, especially if we want to trade down and are able to

Yeah, you're probably right. It's going to largely depend on what prospects are available. If someone like Barkley was to drop to 9, we could flip 9 and a third fo rBarkley. NYG get to start the rebuild off with Rosen and Barkley in the backfield. 

But yeah, probably going to be a draft day thing. 

Let's take a moment to appreciate the really important thing in the 49er/ OBJ talk...it means JLC may have actually been accurate in his reporting. This is far bigger news than if we actually traded for hin

• Like 2

5 hours ago, John232 said:

Im hearing they're trying to swing a first next year and a second this year for OBJ. 

Not unreasonable, depending on how high we're talking about. Early 20's, maybe even late teens would be worth considering.

So OBJ is going to report to the Giants off season workout / conditioning program. That's a good step for them to try and patch things up and for him to stay a Giant. If that relationship had continued down a contentious path, it may have forced the Giants' hand a little more and continued to spur a divorce. 

On 4/7/2018 at 2:10 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah that's what he said but if I'm the Giants I pass on that. I don't blame the front office for trying to get something like that done before eventually giving up the #9, but it's not likely to work. 

#9+3rd for OBJ and 2019 4th

Since some really want some draft pick in return, I got us back a 4th rounder from 2019 lol. Happy? 

I would do #9 and a 3rd for OBJ. But I would be a hell of a lot happier if Day 2 of the draft, we can pull a 3rd and next year's first. I doubt either happen in the end, but that's my preference. 

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I would do #9 and a 3rd for OBJ. But I would be a hell of a lot happier if Day 2 of the draft, we can pull a 3rd and next year's first. I doubt either happen in the end, but that's my preference. 

I wouldn't do 9 and a third, but your second option is like the oneI mentioned a few posts ago since I figure we'll be drafting in the 20's next year. Still, without assurance of signing him to a long term contract - and he's going to be all about the money when he's a FA and so likely to go to whomever offer him the money, there's really very little I'd give up for him just to rent him for a year. That's the kind of move I'd make if we were a really good playoff team looking for the piece to go all the way to the SB. Much as I think we're going to be a good team next year I don't think we'll be just one WR short of the SB.

3 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

Of course, but I just don't think it is realistic. Once it gets closer to the draft and the Giants lower their demands, I bet a team offers their 2018 1st and another mid round pick.

If this team is going to be successful, it is likely going to be due to a dominant offense and a sold but not spectacular defense. We should do anything we can to strengthen the offense and then add pieces to make the defense better. Basically the opposite of the Harbaugh reign. 

I actually think it should be the other way around. We know our offense will be solid because we have one of the games best playcallers on the sidelines. So if we spend more resources on defense, then our team will be stronger overall. 

You can out scheme people on offense (if you have a good QB) but you have to have top flight talent to have a top flight defense. There are definitely ways to cover up some flaws on defense, but it is A LOT easier to do that on offense because you have a choice of where the ball is going to go, if that makes sense.

With that being said, I am 100% behind trading for odell. 

Most would see it that way, but I'd strengthen the strength where it becomes ultra elite. And then build the defense and get it up to par to make deep playoff runs. Aside from Nelson or possibly Wynn, I don't see any offensive player available at our pick that is going to make our offense that much better. Beckham will, so I'd obviously be willing to give that pick for him. If not him, I'd rather take a defensive player at that pick. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course, but I just don't think it is realistic. Once it gets closer to the draft and the Giants lower their demands, I bet a team offers their 2018 1st and another mid round pick.

If this team is going to be successful, it is likely going to be due to a dominant offense and a sold but not spectacular defense. We should do anything we can to strengthen the offense and then add pieces to make the defense better. Basically the opposite of the Harbaugh reign. 

A lot of teams have made it to the SB on the strength of an OK offense, even sometimes with just an OK QB, and a great defense. I think it rarely happens the other way around. The other thing is that while a defense doesn't need to be great it has to not be a liability which is where our defense stands today. I think Jimmie/Shanny will make our offense adequate or much better but our defense realy needs to be shored up.

The Pats made it to the Super Bowl this year and almost won it with a terrible defense. 

You would prefer a great defense and a good enough offense (think SF 11-13, SEA 12-15, Den 15'/etc). But right now it is more likely we have a GREAT offense and a competent enough defense. 

And I am of the mindset of taking a defensive player at #9 and fixing that unit. Only that I'd sacrifice that for a player that would potentially take our offense to the next level like the addition of Nelson or OBJ if that makes any sense. 

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

The Pats made it to the Super Bowl this year and almost won it with a terrible defense. 

You would prefer a great defense and a good enough offense (think SF 11-13, SEA 12-15, Den 15'/etc). But right now it is more likely we have a GREAT offense and a competent enough defense. 

And I am of the mindset of taking a defensive player at #9 and fixing that unit. Only that I'd sacrifice that for a player that would potentially take our offense to the next level like the addition of Nelson or OBJ if that makes any sense. 

Sure. Makes perfect sense. Not what I would do. But if  you're the GM and pull the trigger on that trade I'll be right there supporting you.

The gist of my hesitation is that the trade requires both big money and multiple picks. I'm of the opinion that that team would be "more better" by using those multiple picks and buying multiple FAs with that money than by adding OBJ. One of the pieces we could buy is a WR that would be nearly as good as OBJ such that the incremental value between that guy and OBJ would more clearly not be worth the extra money or picks. You mentioned NE.  This is exactly what I'm talking about.  They make it to the SB every year without a WR like OBJ. The incremedntal value to them for OBJ would be near zero. Certainly not worth the loss of multiple picks and the extra cap dollars which they use wisely every year to plug holes they have. If we draft a great WR that would be perfect. If we sign a  great one in FA that would be OK too. But big money and multiple picks is not something I would spend on any WR. And, as I've said multiple times there is zero chance I'd make that trade without being able to lock him in to a long term deal I'm not interested in a one year rental.

So I found out the reason that Garnett has been a bust thus far in his NFL career and may never get it right....he's tainted by the 2012 draft class. 

In 2012, we drafted Cam Johnson in the 7th round. The next year in 2013, he was traded to the Colts for a 2015 7th round selection. During the 2015 draft, we traded that pick to Dallas for their 2016 6th round pick. During the 2016 NFL draft, we traded up to select Garnett, and part of that package given to KC was the 6th round pick that we had acquired from Dallas. 

The stench of 2012 is far reaching....

• Like 2