Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

34 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Personally don't think either have earned it. Tomlinson was ok last year, but just a guy and easily replaceable at cheaper than the fifth year option. Armstead..meh

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Interesting development...not certain many of us anticipated that. I know I didn't.

It certainly makes a ton more sense than playing AA at Leo. Not ideal, but a better use of their talents, at least. I wonder if that will play into the decision to draft a pass rusher in the first or not.

12 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

It certainly makes a ton more sense than playing AA at Leo. Not ideal, but a better use of their talents, at least. I wonder if that will play into the decision to draft a pass rusher in the first or not.

Maybe that decision is a consequence of the staff not being too keen on any of the pass rush prospects.

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Interesting development...not certain many of us anticipated that. I know I didn't.

I mean, Armstead needed to move back inside. Solomon Thomas I thought would have remained in place all 3 downs. Plus, realistically, unless we get something in the draft, Thomas, Armstead, and Buckner might (sadly) be our 3 best pass rushers. So, it might be best that all 3 get on the field together most of the time. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I mean, Armstead needed to move back inside. Solomon Thomas I thought would have remained in place all 3 downs. Plus, realistically, unless we get something in the draft, Thomas, Armstead, and Buckner might (sadly) be our 3 best pass rushers. So, it might be best that all 3 get on the field together most of the time. 

Armstead isn't moving back in though. He will play big end and then probably rotate rushing inside on passing downs with Buckner/Thomas. 

My question is what happens if we draft someone like Landry? Thomas will almost certainly have to play big end then as Landry will be the LEO. 

48 minutes ago, Forge said:

Personally don't think either have earned it. Tomlinson was ok last year, but just a guy and easily replaceable at cheaper than the fifth year option. Armstead..meh

Agreed on both. Armstead almost certainly isn't going to be in the long-term plans anyway, and Tomlinson will likely be able to be re-sign well-below that option value even if he wins the job this year and plays well. Even on the off chance he far surpasses expectations and looks to be the real deal, we have plenty of resources to keep him. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Armstead isn't moving back in though. He will play big end and then probably rotate rushing inside on passing downs with Buckner/Thomas. 

My question is what happens if we draft someone like Landry? Thomas will almost certainly have to play big end then as Landry will be the LEO. 

I consider the big end more of an inside role that suits him (I understand he's still an end). I just mean he was never a LEO. Neither are, for that matter.

And it's possible Landry gets the Aldon Smith rookie role of LEO in expected passing situations in the above question/play time scenario. And if he plays so we'll he NEEDS to be on the field, then we find a trade partner or bench Armstead. Realistically, by the time Landry (or any EDGE draftee) proves he would need to be on the field all 3 downs, Armstead will be injured anyway.

So, if AA is going to be the big end (5 tech) next to the SLB... and

Thomas the LEO

with Buck inside next to him at the 3 tech..

and Mitchell/DJ in between AA and Buck as the 1 tech... 

what happens when/if they add an early round LEO in the draft???? O.o