Minor Niner News Thread

y2lamanaki

8 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

So, if AA is going to be the big end (5 tech) next to the SLB... and

Thomas the LEO

with Buck inside next to him at the 3 tech..

and Mitchell/DJ in between AA and Buck as the 1 tech... 

what happens when/if they add an early round LEO in the draft???? O.o

Ha! I just asked that same question an hour ago. Probably just have the rookie on the field on passing downs in year one and then fully unleash him in year two. 

3 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

The words "right now" have me thinking. Maybe Ward is making a permanent move to CB? If we upgrade does AC have to compete for starting gig? Also no mention of Tartt as the starting SS??? hopefully Tampa doesn't take my guy. 

Not even a question, it will be Witherspoon. Ward competes for the slot position with Williams. 

There is a lot of smoke around us and Fitzpatrick. The real question is what happens if we draft Fitzpatrick? Then where does Ward play? 

We picked up his 5th year option last year. The team had big plans for him at FS, but clearly have reassessed things there or just believe in Colbert that much. Either way, at the time it made little sense not to pick his option up. Ward doesn't even know for sure what position he will play next season and even said it probably depends on who the team ends up drafting. I don't think the Fitzpatrick rumors are a smokescreen at all. He's a versatile high character player that Lynch loves. Now who the hell knows what direction we go in the draft or if Fitzpatrick is even available at our pick. But the Ward's 5th year option is completely irrelevant to what we end up doing in the draft. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

So assuming Sherman is healthy and Ward remains@CB indefinetly who starts, Ward or Witherspoon?

Sherman and Spoon starters...health all good of course.

Ward/Williams battle for slot/dime position.

Add CB in draft to compete with those 4. Just my guess for now. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Not even a question, it will be Witherspoon. Ward competes for the slot position with Williams. 

There is a lot of smoke around us and Fitzpatrick. The real question is what happens if we draft Fitzpatrick? Then where does Ward play? 

LB or d-back? If LB then Smith or Edmunds? If d-back then Fitz, James or Ward? Of, maybe edge rusher and if edge then Landry or Davenport?  Or what if Nelson drops? Can anyone here remember a year when we legitimately had  a half dozen or more realistic options for our pick?

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

LB or d-back? If LB then Smith or Edmunds? If d-back then Fitz, James or Ward? Of, maybe edge rusher and if edge then Landry or Davenport?  Or what if Nelson drops? Can anyone here remember a year when we legitimately had  a half dozen or more realistic options for our pick?

Well, always hard to predict when we are picking so low like from 2012-2014. But the last three years the draft picks have been easy to predict. This year the complete opposite, though Smith to SF is picking up a lot of steam....That is if he will be available at that spot. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Not just for us. Besides Barkley at 2, I really don't have a feel for who anyone is drafting...and even Barkley at 2 i'm only like 80% on...I'm not convinced that if the Browns take Allen that the Giants don't end up taking Darnold. 

44 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, always hard to predict when we are picking so low like from 2012-2014. But the last three years the draft picks have been easy to predict. This year the complete opposite, though Smith to SF is picking up a lot of steam....That is if he will be available at that spot. 

Yeah. I've seen a few mocks lately, include the NFL Live one on Sunday night, that have Smith going ahead of our pick.

42 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not just for us. Besides Barkley at 2, I really don't have a feel for who anyone is drafting...and even Barkley at 2 i'm only like 80% on...I'm not convinced that if the Browns take Allen that the Giants don't end up taking Darnold. 

I don't get the Giants. If there is a QB there that they think can be a good replacement for Manning they should take him. Who knows when they'll be picking this high again.  When you've got a declining 39 year old QB and you happen to be picking second then take a potentially great QB if there's one there. Darnold might be there. To me Rosen is a near perfect clone of Manning.  Not so mobile but great accuracy, great head for the game, great anticipation in his throws, etc. A great QB can make the Giants relevant for another 10-15 years. The best RB in teh history of the game would not do anywhere near as much.

I'm still want 4 QBs to go in the top 8, or one left that somebody a little lower than us wants and is willing to make a nice offer for.