How Can We Improve the Packers Forum?

CWood21

On 2017-08-03 at 0:56 AM, CWood21 said:

As far as the trolls go, that will sort themselves out.  With the ignore feature as well as the report button eventually be rolling out, the excuse that trolls are bringing down the forum shouldn't really hold much water.

Instead, I want to look at what can we do as a group make the lurkers into casual posters and the casual posters into daily contributors?  Also, surprisingly nobody has chimed in on the Packy's and/or Packers Forum HoF.  Is there no interest there?

The word "Troll" is way over used on this forum.

We clearly know what what a troll is, however, what's apparent here is the word itself is being labelled on to those who have opinions that are contrary to those who like to throw the name around. The mindset becomes that if you don't agree with me and what I say then you're a "troll."  

8 minutes ago, Mo-Cheese-Mo said:

We clearly know what what a troll is, however, what's apparent here is the word itself is being labelled on to those who have opinions that are contrary to those who like to throw the name around. The mindset becomes that if you don't agree with me and what I say then you're a "troll."  

I'm only going to say that I disagree and the old place was one of the most lenient sports forums for trolling I've ever seen. There needed to be a ban order put in place for even mentioning AJ Hawk in unrelated topics. 

16 minutes ago, Mo-Cheese-Mo said:

There's a very fine line between trolling and being critical of your favorite team.  When a poster brings up a point that hasn't been relevant in years (i.e. AJ Hawk), that's not productive.  That's literally the definition of trolling when you're trying to get a reaction out of a poster.  There's also the type of posters who only come out of the woodwork when things are going badly.  They're nowhere to be found when things go well, but as soon as things have issues they're immediately there pounding their chest.  There's a difference between what you're claiming is being critical and trolling.

I was about to come in here and celebrate that I was able to put the first person on my ignore list.  There is a major fault to the ignore feature, and that's people quoting who you have ignored.  Additionally, seeing that they posted at all is a detriment to the ignore feature.  I feel like an ignore feature should completely erase everything said by that person and their very existence in the thread.  Right now the only real use for the ignore feature is to help you remember which posters here are the ones that you WANT to ignore. 

For example, just an example, let's say there was a poster who called himself WaterCaptain.  If he was on your ignore list and you saw that he posted in a thread discussing the wide receiver depth chart, you would automatically know that he came into that thread to say that AJ Hawk was the highest paid linebacker of all time and that he couldn't cover any of our wide receivers. 

That negates the principle function of the ignore feature.  There should be levels to the ignore feature.  You should have a basic ignore feature, and then a nuclear option ignore feature where there's nothing left. 

6 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I was about to come in here and celebrate that I was able to put the first person on my ignore list.  There is a major fault to the ignore feature, and that's people quoting who you have ignored.  Additionally, seeing that they posted at all is a detriment to the ignore feature.  I feel like an ignore feature should completely erase everything said by that person and their very existence in the thread.  Right now the only real use for the ignore feature is to help you remember which posters here are the ones that you WANT to ignore. 

For example, just an example, let's say there was a poster who called himself WaterCaptain.  If he was on your ignore list and you saw that he posted in a thread discussing the wide receiver depth chart, you would automatically know that he came into that thread to say that AJ Hawk was the highest paid linebacker of all time and that he couldn't cover any of our wide receivers. 

That negates the principle function of the ignore feature.  There should be levels to the ignore feature.  You should have a basic ignore feature, and then a nuclear option ignore feature where there's nothing left. 

How do you even do it? I figured you'd like click on a member and it's there but I just tried and I don't see it unless I'm blind.

Lolol I just got the water captain thing.

I know another site that tried to have ignore work on quoted posts and it was a disaster. It messed everything up. I guess you just hope enough people ignore them so they don't get replied to. Hint hint.

Just now, NormSizedMidget said:

How do you even do it? I figured you'd like click on a member and it's there but I just tried and I don't see it unless I'm blind.

You just hover over their username and at the bottom of the box it shows ignore user.  You have to be sure to click what you want to ignore from them.  Post, PM, sig, etc. 

Just now, HorizontoZenith said:

You just hover over their username and at the bottom of the box it shows ignore user.  You have to be sure to click what you want to ignore from them.  Post, PM, sig, etc. 

Oh maybe I can't do it mobile. I'll get on PC then haha

4 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Oh maybe I can't do it mobile. I'll get on PC then haha

On mobile, you can hit the menu button (3 bars on the top right). Then hit "Account", and then "Ignored Users". Here, there is a field where you can type in the member name of the person you want to add to your ignore list. You can specify which aspects of that person's communications you want to ignore (posts, messages, mentions, signatures, etc.) by checking various boxes.

15 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

On mobile, you can hit the menu button (3 bars on the top right). Then hit "Account", and then "Ignored Users". Here, there is a field where you can type in the member name of the person you want to add to your ignore list. You can specify which aspects of that person's communications you want to ignore (posts, messages, mentions, signatures, etc.) by checking various boxes.

Sweet. Thanks guys.

Archived