Lions franchise tag Ezekiel Ansah

flyguy1609

4 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

I disagree with pretty much all of that.  He has battled injuries, sure, but still managed to play 73 of a possible 80 games throughout his career.  It's not like he faced back to back career threatening injuries and missed significant time.

We still have plenty of cap to add "cheaper specialized pieces".

If your argument is based on the notion that Quinn and Patricia applied "blind hope" to the Ansah re-signing, then I guess there's not much else to say.  Then again, if we're refusing to put "blind hope" into any NFL free agent who has battled through injuries, I guess we wouldn't be able to sign anyone, making our cap space irrelevant.

I guess I'll throw "blind hope" at a player who, on average, misses just more than one game per season, and who's borderline elite at best, but easily beats bad OTs at worst.

Is it really a good thing if he plays most of the games and has the same impact as someone who didn't suit up? I don't really view that as a good thing. I'd rather Ansah miss more games, and have a bigger impact in those he does play in, than have him play like he has the past two years. 

Anyway you spin it, 17.5 million is a significant amount of our cap. It's over a third of what we had available before we franchised Ansah. That means less to spend on the remaining roster. If Ansah has similar impact as the last two seasons, that's a mismanagement of resources.

Who cares if Ansah averages only missing one game per season? When he's been a liability on the field for 13 of them?

The funny thing is, "at his worst" he only beat one bad OT. The rest of his sacks were pretty much QBs running into him, running out of bounds near him, coverage sacks, or a freaking TE getting beat by his bull rush. Throw those circumstances in with his poor pressures generated, and he had an even worse year than I had thought.

Well, you're completely underselling his play while injured, and ignoring his years where he wasn't battling injuries.  That, and you should be blaming the coaches for leaving him on the field if he was ineffective while playing injured.  I tend to appreciate when good players make themselves available despite nagging injuries.

Last paragraph: ... okay?  It's not like he didn't cause enough pressure on those plays to be disruptive, or put himself in the right place at the right time.  Not to mention those kinds of sacks happen on a game by game basis, and the great sack artists are often on the receiving end.

That article also points out that, according to PFF, his pass rushing efficiency finished at 15th in the NFL despite battling injuries.

That article also lists this quote by Quinn, someone who went back and watched his entire season times over before deciding if he should be tagged: 

"We talk about production, this production on paper, this stat line, his sacks, his hurries, all that stuff -- that’s great. But when I watch tape and coaches watch tape, is he doing his job? Is he occupying two blockers and Anthony Zettel’s making a play, or Kerry Hyder or A’Shawn, or whoever?" Quinn said.

"So, I think that’s part of the stuff that when you really dive into it and watch it, I think he had a productive year.”

The guy who did his homework, based on his entire body of work, came away noting his overall performance.  The guy who applied the tag has also undoubtedly spoken to both Ansah and the medical staff about his long term health.  It sounds like a lot more than just "blind hope".

3 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

Is it really a good thing if he plays most of the games and has the same impact as someone who didn't suit up? I don't really view that as a good thing. I'd rather Ansah miss more games, and have a bigger impact in those he does play in, than have him play like he has the past two years. 

Anyway you spin it, 17.5 million is a significant amount of our cap. It's over a third of what we had available before we franchised Ansah. That means less to spend on the remaining roster. If Ansah has similar impact as the last two seasons, that's a mismanagement of resources.

Who cares if Ansah averages only missing one game per season? When he's been a liability on the field for 13 of them?

The funny thing is, "at his worst" he only beat one bad OT. The rest of his sacks were pretty much QBs running into him, running out of bounds near him, coverage sacks, or a freaking TE getting beat by his bull rush. Throw those circumstances in with his poor pressures generated, and he had an even worse year than I had thought.

I wrestled with it just like you. At the end of the day I looked at the roster and determined they really had to keep him. The dline has been a mess since Suh left and letting Ansah walk without a replacement on the roster would cripple the defence especially since Ngata hasn’t signed.

When Ansah is healthy he has great impact. So, in my mind it’s about his health. If healthy he’s a keeper and I feel it’s a gamble worth taking. Patricia really talks about the lines (finally a coach that believes) so I expect Ansah must offer something he likes, especially at the tag value.

At the end of the day it’s a crap shoot with Ansah. Just like it was with Stafford. Remember the nick name Glassford. He’s gotten by injury and not missed a game. I’m hoping the same happens with Ansah. 

In my mind (it’s a scary place?) I would rather they tag him and it doesn’t work out than let him walk and see him get 12 sacks somewhere else. That said if he bombs I will be in here yelling how stupid it was to use the tag. 

Of course...............it’s the Lions. ?

On 2/28/2018 at 11:28 AM, Louis Friend said:

I would have let him walk regardless. He can't stay healthy, most of his sacks were in 2 or 3 games against very poor OLs that give up a lot of sacks. He was highly inconsistent, not enough pressure. And not just this year but the past 3 seasons. No one is going to pay him $17 million plus give up picks to get him, so now we are paying him to pay 3 good games for us next seasons. 

I agree! Noway I would have paid him the almost 18 mil. I hope they find a team to trade him too (Cleveland). At least they can rescind the tag if he doesnt sign it right away. Hopefully he holds out and Lions get a decent replacement then we just remove the tag.

7 hours ago, BZski said:

I agree! Noway I would have paid him the almost 18 mil. I hope they find a team to trade him too (Cleveland). At least they can rescind the tag if he doesnt sign it right away. Hopefully he holds out and Lions get a decent replacement then we just remove the tag.

Do you feel that $18M now with nothing guaranteed for future years is better than $8M now with $10M guaranteed over the next two years?

Im struggling to find  why there is anyone who considers this a bad deal..its a 1 year prove it deal and if he is derailed by injuries or just plain awful then let him walk. Theres nothing guaranteed after this year and you werent gonna find anything better for the money they had available on the open market right now.

Archived