The Allen Robinson Thread

.Buzz

28 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Think this is too far, but I largely agree. 

On the points I disagree with, our most talented/best pieces on offense outside of Linder were rookies a year ago (LF, Cam, Dede, Cole). All of which certainly have showed upside of being able to be serious weapons. Latter two I don't see #1 types in of course, but they we're awfully impressive with what they had to go through year one (Dede missing 10 games, Cole making the leap from a small college to being thrusted in the starting lineup by midseason and the stage not being too big for him).

ARob was getting his lunch taken when he got matched up with Jalen though. ARob got so heated for getting beat constantly because Jalen was always in his ear jawing. Now I know Jalen may very well be the best corner in the game, but still.

Honestly, maybe i'm being too harsh. But I don't see either Dede or Cole (and I think he was the most impressive of the bunch) being true #1s. Sooo much of what we had success with was still based of attention being given to Fournette. It seems like every single big play we got from our passing game was...crossers. Shallow, or Deep...doesn't matter. They were man-beaters since teams were stacking the box so much. Keep in mind that 2nd season is an adjustment, and we'll see teams take away what these guys do well (like they did with ARob the season after he blew up).

And I don't recall ARob getting his lunch eaten by Jalen. The only comment I recall is that ARob was getting frustrated with Jalen yacking all the time. And despite that, if we are to believe social media...ARob has full support of Jalen to get paid (the QB, not so much...despite his improvements).

But point is, this defense will lose players and will need to replace aging veterans with younger players that we acquire (likely through draft) at much later spots than we've accustomed to. Maybe we hit again and re-stock, but this team really needs to be more balanced moving forward. 

Unless of course, we hit on the QB. Which is really the one-sure fire way of keeping teams in contention regardless of roster turnover

15 hours ago, .Buzz said:

He had a rough go at it in 2016 and tore his ACL last year. 

I want the guy back and would be surprised if he is let go, but if he's asking for a long term deal at a clip that we don't feel he's worth I'm not sure what else we can do. 

You can Franchise Tag him.  That's what else you can do.  It's not that outlandish a notion, is it?

It's one year.  Re-evaluate if he's worth that sort of money long-term and if we have the money to keep him after that.  We have the room to do it right now, and this isn't a draft where you're going to land an absolute bluechip stud at the back end of the 1st round who is all but a lock to step in and be as good as/better than what ARob has proven he can do in the NFL.

Regardless of whether we're suddenly throwing ARob under the bus for Blake Bortles completely unacceptable play in 2016 or not...even in that "rough year" with a dip**** throwing ducks all over the place instead of passes, he was effectively still a low-end #1WR who had a few more drops than you'd like, while serving as the focal point of an offense.  That's still better than anything else you're going to get on the FA market this offseason...which ought to plenty warrant a "show me more" 1-year franchise tag deal arrangement, if you absolutely can't figure out something else that makes sense.  The Top-WR available getting top dollars for a WR this year...not outrageous.

It seems so stupid to me that they're apparently either talking a multi-year deal, or nothing at all.  If the guy is worth keeping for multiple years at reasonable market money...he's worth keeping for 1 year on the tag.

The only way letting him walk makes any sense at all, is if there's something legitimately concerning going on with ARobs rehab and recovery.  Other than that...yuck.  Especially if it's primarily to keep space available to back the money trucks up for Marqise Lee.  We want to hammer ARob for his "rough 2016"...?  lmao.  What has Lee's career been then...

8 hours ago, Speedyg said:

Honestly, maybe i'm being too harsh. But I don't see either Dede or Cole (and I think he was the most impressive of the bunch) being true #1s. Sooo much of what we had success with was still based of attention being given to Fournette. It seems like every single big play we got from our passing game was...crossers. Shallow, or Deep...doesn't matter. They were man-beaters since teams were stacking the box so much. Keep in mind that 2nd season is an adjustment, and we'll see teams take away what these guys do well (like they did with ARob the season after he blew up).

And I don't recall ARob getting his lunch eaten by Jalen. The only comment I recall is that ARob was getting frustrated with Jalen yacking all the time. And despite that, if we are to believe social media...ARob has full support of Jalen to get paid (the QB, not so much...despite his improvements).

But point is, this defense will lose players and will need to replace aging veterans with younger players that we acquire (likely through draft) at much later spots than we've accustomed to. Maybe we hit again and re-stock, but this team really needs to be more balanced moving forward. 

Unless of course, we hit on the QB. Which is really the one-sure fire way of keeping teams in contention regardless of roster turnover

I get that defenses will adjust to stop the WRs if they are worth stopping but isn't that good news? Less in the box vs LF is a win right? 

13 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I get that defenses will adjust to stop the WRs if they are worth stopping but isn't that good news? Less in the box vs LF is a win right? 

It's a good thing yes. But that's precisely why Allen can be dangerous for this offense.  Teams played safety on top of him in 16. If you're accounting for Leonard by stacking the box, really won't be able double Allen too much especially with the speed of Cole and Dede. 

Right now none of our receivers really warrant a 2nd defender.

Allen commands that. And with his dangerous he is with the deep ball, maybe, just maaaaybe...we can get defenses to back off 

3 minutes ago, Speedyg said:

It's a good thing yes. But that's precisely why Allen can be dangerous for this offense.  Teams played safety on top of him in 16. If you're accounting for Leonard by stacking the box, really won't be able double Allen too much especially with the speed of Cole and Dede. 

Right now none of our receivers really warrant a 2nd defender.

Allen commands that. And with his dangerous he is with the deep ball, maybe, just maaaaybe...we can get defenses to back off 

Yeah.  Exactly.  That's what ARob can potentially bring to an offense like this, regardless of exactly how many receptions or yards he might end up with.  A healthy ARob can at least threaten 1v1 and potentially draw that extra attention to pull a man back out of the box at times.  A lot of that will always be situational, and frankly...Bortles has to be a consistently better QB for it to consistently shift focus away from our obvious run emphasis offensively, but that's the sort of impact he can have as a #1WR.

You can only run Qise Lee drag routes on 3rd down so many times before teams get wise to the gig.  It worked a surprising amount of the time for us last year, but that's not going to continue.  Not without a more consistent football catcher doing it, and/or some alternative threats (like what ARob can, and has previously brought to the table) lending credibility to other elements and drawing extra attention, and opening up alternative concepts on those crucial 3rd down conversion situations.

Otherwise...basically just this play, over and over and over again on important 3rd downs:

2 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

That’s not the real Dave Caldwell lol

but A-Rob won’t be back. They dropped the ball on this one. Just a horrible evaluation of the receiver position.

God damnit, my bad dudes :S

I dont like not bringing him back but it cant all be on us though right? Like what $ does he want? If he signs a 5/75m deal then i can understand not wanting to invest that on someone that just had a serious injury but he could do wonders for our offense. We can likely afford him. At the very least tag him and see if he can ball this season while our window is there with everyone. 

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I dont like not bringing him back but it cant all be on us though right? Like what $ does he want? If he signs a 5/75m deal then i can understand not wanting to invest that on someone that just had a serious injury but he could do wonders for our offense. We can likely afford him. At the very least tag him and see if he can ball this season while our window is there with everyone. 

That's what the tag is for man. Bring him back for one year to see if he is recovered and worth it. If not, you have an extra year to see what you have in Dede and Cole. If he proves hes worth it, you pay him and cut Hurns next season with little zero dead money and saving 8M in cap space.

6 hours ago, Speedyg said:

That's what the tag is for man. Bring him back for one year to see if he is recovered and worth it. If not, you have an extra year to see what you have in Dede and Cole. If he proves hes worth it, you pay him and cut Hurns next season with little zero dead money and saving 8M in cap space.

I get that, i wonder what it is that we dont know. Is there something going on in A-Robs camp? I agree it is really silly not to tag him

Archived