When 4 YPC = $100m (A Le'Veon Bell story)

Money

40 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

The question would be irrelevant but a lot of people are still hoping/expecting that Bell signs with the Steelers long term before the season starts and are getting pissed that he is refusing to come down on his offer.

A lot of fans (not here as far as i've seen) are talking mad crap about Bell saying he will retire or hold out all offseason/until week 10 though. And a lot of people are constantly calling Bell dumb for trying to get paid. Too many salty steelers fans stuck in their feelings tbh.

He is dumb.  Dumb as a box of rocks.  The dude didn't even know you could get busted for DUI from smoking weed.  He also talks about money and contracts during a playoff run.  He is truly a moron.  But I'm not faulting him for wanting to be paid.  I think he's dumb in overestimating his value and the market for a RB, but not dumb for wanting to get as much as he can during his short shelf life career.  The OP had a good point.  He's looking at his average over 5 or 6 years being what the franchise tag is.  So why should the Steelers ever consider moving on from tagging him?  They have zero liability or long term exposure financially this way, and it is still eating up the same amount of cap space.  The only bad part, and something Bell is obviously too dumb to realize, is he played like garbage last year because of his little hold out, and now he's saying it's going to be a repeat of next year.  I love the guy as a player, but he's dumb.

8 hours ago, Chieferific said:

It's an opinion. Agree with it or don't. 

It's not an opinion when it's predicated upon unsound logic. People say Bell is dumb because they think  he can't get more money anywhere else then he can in Pittsburgh, but that's ignorant and we all know he can. All Bell has to do is get the Steelers to stop tagging him.

1 hour ago, TXsteeler said:

It's not an opinion when it's predicated upon unsound logic. People say Bell is dumb because they think  he can't get more money anywhere else then he can in Pittsburgh, but that's ignorant and we all know he can. All Bell has to do is get the Steelers to stop tagging him.

Are you suggesting all opinions are based on "sound logic" cause that's asinine. Look, I am not of the opinion that he is "dumb" for wanting more money. I don't think it's to the team's benefit for him to have a huge contract but he isn't dumb to want it. If you disagree with someone's opinion (and it is an opinion) that he won't get more as a FA than that's fine. What I don't understand is why you appear so angry and/or upset over that opinion. 

5 hours ago, MDSteeler1971 said:

You think the Steelers brass won't?

Not to that extent.  Per touch he got us 5.5 yards, which was still top 5 for RB's in 2017.  And that's the thing with Bell.  You can't just look at YPC and say that's the story.  You have to account for his pass catching.  You have to factor in that he was 75% of our rushing TD's (9/12); he accounted for 27% of our total touchdowns; he accounted for 31.4% of our offense.

I would bet 100% that data like that is what the Steelers FO is looking at and why they keep trying to work out something long term.  When a guy accounts for 1/3 of your offensive production the last 4 years you don't let him out the door.

Let me ask you this:  Are you ok with AB getting $17mil?  Because he makes up a smaller percent of our offensive production than Bell.  By a decent margin too.

This is why I'm willing to pay Bell.

Oh and before someone tries to say we can replace him with anyone because DWill was productive:

All other RB's in games where Bell was our was only 12% of our touchdowns and 20% percent of our total yardage.

45 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

Are you suggesting all opinions are based on "sound logic" cause that's asinine. Look, I am not of the opinion that he is "dumb" for wanting more money. I don't think it's to the team's benefit for him to have a huge contract but he isn't dumb to want it. If you disagree with someone's opinion (and it is an opinion) that he won't get more as a FA than that's fine. What I don't understand is why you appear so angry and/or upset over that opinion. 

Yea, people suggesting that Bell is "dumb" or "stupid" or "an idiot" for asking for more money are just angry IMO.

If you want to say he's "selfish", fine.  But I think if you knew you only had possibly one chance to make as much money as possible you would want everything you could get too.

8 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Bell deserves to get paid but he also overvalues his position imo.

Not to be 'that guy' and we all know this happens:

But what if Bell's agent knows what someone would offer Bell on the free market and what he's asking for is less than what he's been told some team might offer?

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Not to be 'that guy' and we all know this happens:

But what if Bell's agent knows what someone would offer Bell on the free market and what he's asking for is less than what he's been told some team might offer?

You can be that guy. What you're asking is fair. Really I want him back but I don't want it to cripple us financially moving forward.

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

Bell deserves to get paid but he also overvalues his position imo.

Does he though or is it just because he is the first of his "kind" to hit this stage?

David Johnson, Todd Gurley, and Zek are all in the same mold in kind of a "new age" of RB that is not only a top rusher in the NFL but also a top 2 receiver on their own team (Zek not so much in the receiving game, but same concept). 

If DJ hit FA first and got $15M a year would we still think Bells desire was an over-evaluation of himself? 

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

You can be that guy. What you're asking is fair. Really I want him back but I don't want it to cripple us financially moving forward.

And I get that.  But I've said many times before, it's all in the structure.  Remember when SF signed Jimmy G.  It sounded like $70+ mil in guarantees.  Boil it down and it was really only $24 mil over 2 years.

Do the same with Bell.  Get ultra creative with how those guarantees work.  You can pay him what he wants and give yourself cap flexibility at the same time through bonuses that kick in with certain markers (starts, snap %, TDs, playoffs, yards, catches).  This is where I get on Colbert (and the cap guy his name is escaping me).  He structures every one of them the same.  The guaranteed money is spread out the same, very little roster bonuses, very little performance bonuses.  That's why the Eagles manage to have cap year every year despite constantly paying guys.

6 hours ago, Chieferific said:

I'm suggesting opinions are based on subjective matters. You can't have an opinion based on objective facts because then it's just a fact, unless your on the wrong side of it in which case you are just wrong.

I can't claim that its not raining when it is, and Then defend myself by saying that it's just my opinion.

52 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Does he though or is it just because he is the first of his "kind" to hit this stage?

David Johnson, Todd Gurley, and Zek are all in the same mold in kind of a "new age" of RB that is not only a top rusher in the NFL but also a top 2 receiver on their own team (Zek not so much in the receiving game, but same concept). 

If DJ hit FA first and got $15M a year would we still think Bells desire was an over-evaluation of himself? 

here's my issue and of course this is just a subjective opinion but take saquon Barkley for example he is coming into league and he is very much at least expected to be what Le'Veon Bell is and potentially better. Running backs are being taught to play the style of football that Le'Veon Bell plays. That wasn't always the case in the past but as the NFL evolves so does the teaching methods in college football and in fact the way college football evolves causes the NFL to evolve. So what I'm saying is you could go ahead and pay lady on them right now but in two to three years maybe a few more I don't know so many running backs will be in the NFL that are similar to Le'Veon Bell you will become very apparent how much money you overpaid him.

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

here's my issue and of course this is just a subjective opinion but take saquon Barkley for example he is coming into league and he is very much at least expected to be what Le'Veon Bell is and potentially better. Running backs are being taught to play the style of football that Le'Veon Bell plays. That wasn't always the case in the past but as the NFL evolves so does the teaching methods in college football and in fact the way college football evolves causes the NFL to evolve. So what I'm saying is you could go ahead and pay lady on them right now but in two to three years maybe a few more I don't know so many running backs will be in the NFL that are similar to Le'Veon Bell you will become very apparent how much money you overpaid him.

Or.....it goes the way of our OLB's where  more teams are looking for guys like that so they no longer drop like that, and it get's impossible to find good players because none of them drop to our position.

Archived