Patriots reportedly in talks to acquire Talib CB

Elky

Talib wants to return: http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4640/aqib-talib

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Broncos CB Aqib Talib's "top choice" is to reunite with the Patriots.
Russini adds that the Broncos had trade talks with the 49ers regarding Talib, but "it doesn't look like it's going to get done." Talib is more likely to be cut, where he could get his Patriots reunion wish after Talib spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons in New England before signing a big-money deal in Denver. Talib is 32 years old, but he continued playing at a high level in 2017 and is a man-coverage corner. The Pats played more man than any team in football last year. Mar 7 - 6:27 PM
Source: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Splitting this out to a new thread with the following update:

New England is one of several teams the Broncos have engaged in Talib trade talks.

http://www.9news.com/mobile/article/sports/broncos-actively-shopping-talib-but-cornerback-wants-say/73-526792816

Take it with a huge grain of salt. Its a Denver source and that is literally the only sentence about it in the article. 

Talib traded to the Rams :(

It's disappointing, but we were banking on him getting cut. Have to turn the page. Sherman and Honey Badger are both looking to be released, so we still have options on the table.

28 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I wouldn’t have traded for that contract 

That's basically what it came down to. I'm sure there was mutual interest, but the Patriots weren't giving up draft capital AND paying him at his current number. Same goes for Sherman. If he's cut, I'm positive the Patriots will be interested. But I really doubt they trade anything for him with their current cap situation.

Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. I think Talib would have had to been cut so his contract could be re-worked here.

Belichick doesn't have his full arsenal of draft picks to make these moves this year. No 5th and 7th is limiting him a bit. Wouldn't be shocked to see is move a player before or during the draft for a later pick. 

2 hours ago, Canadian_Patriot said:

Feels like a bit of a missed opportunity. I think Talib would have had to been cut so his contract could be re-worked here.

Belichick doesn't have his full arsenal of draft picks to make these moves this year. No 5th and 7th is limiting him a bit. Wouldn't be shocked to see is move a player before or during the draft for a later pick. 

I was your first like!

A 5th is too pricey for an 11mil cap hit (IIRC). Rams can take it I guess, but we definitely cannot. 

20 hours ago, everlong said:

So Belichick has passed up Bennett, who went for peanuts mind you, and Talib. We need a new GM.

I assume you are joking? There are reports the Seahawks declined a better offer from the Patriots only because they had promised the Eagles the trade would be made before it was even finalized.

Archived