The Lions Den: Visiting Free Agents

X_Factor_40

16 minutes ago, flyguy1609 said:

Lions re-signed RB Zach Zenner

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10429/zach-zenner

The #Seahawks did not tender RB Mike Davis, and he’s looking around. Source said Davis is traveling to the #Lions today and has his visit tomorrow. Davis, who flashed against the #Eagles and #Jaguars, has other visits lined up.

Speaking of former Seahawks RB's - Thomas Rawls is visiting the Chiefs today. He's worth a look as well.

I think the Lions are holding firm on what they're willing to pay some of these guys. Apparently Gore left without a deal because they couldn't work out the money (for now). Maybe he can find a better offer elsewhere but he could always wind up back with us at our original offer. We're not throwing stupid money at guys which is a positive IMO.

One of the Lions twitter put this up that was as of 16 hrs ago or so 

Lions offseason recap:
Re-signed: 
- LS Muhlbach
- LB Bellore
- CB Lawson
- S Wilson
- DE Ansah (tag)
- DE Hyder
- QB Rudock

Added:
- LB Kennard
- LB Jones
- DB Shead
- G Wiggins

Lost: 
- CB Hayden (Jags)
- TE Fells (Browns)
- S Carey (Jags)
- DT Ngata (Eagles)
- TE Ebron (cut)

Lions offseason recap:
Re-signed: 
- LS Muhlbach
- LB Bellore
- CB Lawson
- S Wilson
- DE Ansah (tag)
- DE Hyder
- QB Rudock

Added:
- LB Kennard
- LB Jones
- DB Shead
- G Wiggins

Lost: 
- CB Hayden (Jags)
- TE Fells (Browns)
- S Carey (Jags)
- DT Ngata (Eagles)
- TE Ebron (cut)

Tahir Whitehead is a loss

and LeGarrette Blount is addition but yeah. After really looking at the moves so far... We're not that good lol. Lions are going to get blasted within the division from the Packers/Vikings.

Why not just trade Matthew Stafford if you're not going to collet talent around him? It's not like this is NE with Brady/Bellichek.

Really though I don't understand signing him then not putting anything significant around him...

Given the moves, I don't understand letting Ebron go. You only do that if you absolutely need the cap and they haven't so far. 

I don't like bringing back Lawson either. Would like a more impactful #2 instead of rotating mediocrity there. Maybe Tabor steps up. Who knows.

Yeah I wanna give the guy a shot but I blame a lot of last season on the coaches staff and Quinn too for not giving them legit players along the D-line when they went and spent money on guys like Washington/Spence. Wasted money with Worrilow. Wasted time with the Robinson trade.... A simple signing of a RB last offseason might of propelled the team into a playoff birth.

Then we start this offseason like this when the rest of the division seems to be in a arms race.

IDK, to me the guy doesn't get it anymore, his first year he was hungry. Now he's acting like we're the Patriots when there is no BB to bail you out by making players better than they are, and no Tom Brady on offense to win you the games or bail out the team.

I don't want to be patient. HE fired Jim Caldwell for a reason. I don't want a rebuild process on the fly with this coaching staff. We're suppose to be good enough with Stafford to compete for Division titles. Build talent around this guy, as much as possible! There is literally almost no reason to be patient the NFL,  the window to win is SHORT!

In simple terms so far this offseason Lions have added two medicour/ok starting LB'ers. One of the best short yardage backs possibly. A DB coming off ACL injuries, and one of the worst starting Guards in the NFL last year. Still haven't addressed many of the same concerns as last year( interior OL/DL starters and depth, pass rushing, TE, starter and depth, RB. ) And have watched some good contracts walk by imo. I'm not in the camp that says you pay whatever but man, some guys went to teams that I think the lions situation is better than for reasonable money.

I just really don't understand why people are alright with this because we have what? 20-15 million still.... ? GREAT! This approach last year arguably cost us a playoff spot. Teams need as much starter talent as possible, I don't love signing depth guys and hoping they overachieve, or rely on rookies to be better right away. Or relying on one guy to produce all the pressure like we are going to again with Ziggy it looks like. ( I like Kennard ) but common he's not a top flight pass rusher, and Hyder is coming off injury, and was a better interior rusher than RDE imo. Unless another signing is made or someone is drafted and over achieves Lions will rely on Ziggy/Kennard/Zettel/Hyder and Scheme to produce a pass rush! I don't like those names vs Cousins/Rodgers.

Whoa, just seen Justin Pughs contract and I liked him but 5 years 45 million is a TON of dough! Still questioning what Lions are going to do at LG, I mean maybe they move up for Quinton Nelson? LOL, that would be great but idk, hopefully Slauson signs, or they kick the tires around with Mewhort, Jahri Evans, or someone. I know they've offered Berger a contract, Who's from the area, and wife wants to live in the area. Couldn't blame him for going to the Vikings with the great shot they have a winning.

Some good offensive players available to surround Stafford with, which might be the best option right now, and also need more protection up the middle. Wiggins literally doesn't impress me at all and should only be a reliable back up. Good offensive lines have 5 to 6 players better than that guy.

* Sign a starting LG, quality WR(nothing special), TE, and I think things can really shape up through the draft still. Offense might be better by default already(especially in the redzone) with Blount and his quality short-yardage play of the years. I don't think there are players available on defense(possibly Junior Galette) for the price the team is willing to pay that'll significantly upgrade the unit, which I'm alright with, outside of one year deals. Surround Stafford with weapons/protections, and draft guys Patricia can mold on the defense and develop in season of over time.

Archived