The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

48 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Are you OK taking the risk of being a 9-3, 8-4 type program if you fire Ryan Day? 

This doesn’t worry me at all. Branding and recruiting alone will net you 10 wins

48 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

And if you fire Ryan Day, what is your new expectation. Firing Ryan Day means 11-1 isn't good enough. Can you reliably build a consistent 12-0 program? 

This is 💯 correct. You cannot fire a dude who wins 11+ games a year and has a 90% win rate, even though he is absolutely out coached in basically every single big game he’s ever coached aside from the Clemson game in 2020.

It is reasonable to say that 3 straight years of failure to win the division, let alone league, while losing to your biggest rival, and seeing the success of Stroud and how mediocre to bad he looked in those games aside obviously from UGA with weapons everywhere and elite OT in Paris and DeWand is a direct indictment of his scheme and coaching not being up to standard.

I think forcing him to hire an actual OC or relieving him of play calling is a reasonable expectation and compromise.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Are you OK taking the risk of being a 9-3, 8-4 type program if you fire Ryan Day? And if you fire Ryan Day, what is your new expectation. Firing Ryan Day means 11-1 isn't good enough. Can you reliably build a consistent 12-0 program? 

When’s the last time Ohio Staye was a 9-3 / 8-4 program?

I love that former players are putting this team on blast for being soft. You’ve got Clarrett, Michael Thomas, Josh Perry, Pryor, Chimidi Chekwa, Michael Bennett, and Cie Grant.

Meh I don’t go too much credence to those types of comments. Marvin Harrison and the physicality of a receiver isn’t the issue. He’s certainly a better player than Wilson by quite a bit. I would give more thought to just them controlling the game and our defense not being able to get off the field for extended stretches of the second half.

29 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I really hate Reddit but you'll find some good nonsense at times

If people can’t handle the expectations at Ohio State and are perfectly happy / contempt with meaningless Orange Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Bumfhawk bowl wins- There’s plenty of average / mediocre teams to choose from.

Penn State would be right up their alley.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

If people can’t handle the expectations at Ohio State and are perfectly happy / contempt with meaningless Orange Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Bumfhawk bowl wins- There’s plenty of average / mediocre teams to choose from.

Penn State would be right up their alley.

Winning 10-11 games, at worst, every year, isn't "average/mediocre". Not even remotely close. We're just spoiled. 90% of other fans here would absolutely be thrilled with what we currently have. 

6 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Winning 10-11 games, at worst, every year, isn't "average/mediocre". Not even remotely close. We're just spoiled. 90% of other fans here would absolutely be thrilled with what we currently have. 

I’ll say the quiet part out loud -

The big 10 is bad. One of the teams playing in the big 10 championship has a 260 lbs fat lard at quarterback.

It shows during bowl season when they get boat raced by southern teams.

Ohio State beats up on bad teams.

Edited by candyman93

Day doesn’t deserve to be fired; he just never should have been hired. And with playoff expansion if he wins those games then leadership won’t care.

He does need to give up play calling and bring in a different scheme. Outside and wide zone with zero screen game or bubble/tunnel or short or RPO game and refusing to run the quarterback is horrendous.

He needs someone to be a culture guy because dudes doing clappy dance videos before kickoff headed into The Game should never fly, ever.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’ll say the quiet part out loud -

The big 10 is bad. One of the teams playing in the big 10 championship has a 260 lbs fat lard at quarterback.

It shows during bowl season when they get boat raced by southern teams.

Ohio State beats up on bad teams.

The B1G went 5-4 last year in bowl games

6-4 in 2021. 

Not sure how we can limit the results to only southern teams as the SEC as they try to match up teams evenly. 

But yeah, Day has really never had a bad loss, has OSU in the playoffs far more than he doesn't, and recruits very, very well. As the dude says in the Reddit post, you can't expect to beat good teams every single time. It's just not realistic. We're spoiled.

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

The B1G went 5-4 last year in bowl games

6-4 in 2021. 

Not sure how we can limit the results to only southern teams as the SEC as they try to match up teams evenly. 

But yeah, Day has really never had a bad loss, has OSU in the playoffs far more than he doesn't, and recruits very, very well. As the dude says in the Reddit post, you can't expect to beat good teams every single time. It's just not realistic. We're spoiled.

Losing to michigan is bad…losing by 20+ twice in a row with arguably the most loaded offensive teams ever is another thing. Same with losing To Oregon at home by 14.