The Ohio State Buckeyes Thread v.12 — 8 in a row

zelbell

27 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Losing to michigan is bad…losing by 20+ twice in a row with arguably the most loaded offensive teams ever is another thing. Same with losing To Oregon at home by 14.

I'm not giving Michigan those games. You can and that's fine but with the integrity of them absolutely being compromised, I'm not doing it. And yeah, Oregon wasn't good but we were still figuring things out at that point. Context is needed there IMO. I'm fine with people calling it "bad" though

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm not giving Michigan those games. You can and that's fine but with the integrity of them absolutely being compromised, I'm not doing it. And yeah, Oregon wasn't good but we were still figuring things out at that point. Context is needed there IMO. I'm fine with people calling it "bad" though

Choking twice in the CFP is on him too

Around 1:25 Josh touched on it. There’s a weird culture of softness on this team.

It brought me back to a quote from Dan Lanning. Oregon would pound the ever living **** out of a Ryan Day team. Our dudes fights for clicks, Michigan fights for wins.

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Raves said:

I think getting rid of Day without a bonafide upgrade ready to come in would be stupid.  I do think that maybe they need to make some adjustments to some of the other coaching positions though.

And the culture as well as many former players have pointed out.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2023 at 2:33 PM, MWil23 said:

Choking twice in the CFP is on him too

To a degree but there were multiple factors at play in each one of those games.

Against Clemson in 2020 was one of the most egregious officiating mistakes Ive ever seen on a football field that robbed OSU of 7 points when Jeff Okudah stripped Clemsons WR for a TD but the ref called it incomplete and sucked all of the momentum away and gave it right back to Clemson. The Buckeyes lost by 6 after a WR ran the wrong route in the endzone with the game winning pass. Thats not on Day, he coached good enough to beat Clemson back to back years in the playoffs.

In 2022 against Georgia, I mean cmon. His offense hung 41 on the nations top defense and was a missed FG away from essentially winning a championship last year. That game isnt on him. Not to mention they did it without Marvin for 1/2 the game after he was targeted that should have put the ball a the 1 yard line for a TD which would have blown the game open. 

The problem has been Michigan for various reasons. The main one being (I heard this on TV and thought it was spot on) that Ohio State recruits and is built to beat high flying teams like the UGAs/Bamas/Clemsons and Michigan recruits and is built to beat Ohio State. Which is why their bowl record is 1-6 under Harbs when they have to play good out of conference teams. 

Side note::: The reason that Haskins, Fields, Stroud turned into 1st RP QBs is because of Ryan Day. The reason you landed Ewers, Riola and Noland is because of Ryan Day. The reason OSU might land Maalik Murphy in the transfer portal is because of Ryan Day.

So I would be very very careful with getting rid of him knowing the snowball it could have on future recruits and current commits. This aint the NFL where you can just fire coaches left and right and keep plugging guys in until one works. There is a loooot more at stake and if you dont get it right because you have a ichy trigger finger--then look at Michigan from 2000-2020.

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

So I would be very very careful with getting rid of him knowing the snowball it could have on future recruits and current commits. This aint the NFL where you can just fire coaches left and right and keep plugging guys in until one works. There is a loooot more at stake and if you dont get it right because you have a ichy trigger finger--then look at Michigan from 2000-2020.

Getting rid of him? He’s not going anywhere. As for the history lesson, he’s also the reason why Burrow was beaten out by Haskins, so you’ll have to forgive me for not giving him credit for Haskins.

As for Clemson in 2019, he got conservative and choked, and last year vs Georgia he even admitted he got conservative himself.

He isn’t a good culture guy/fit here. He’s not a good big game coach. He’s not good at establishing a physical presence or identity, and he sucks at recruiting/developing defensive players.

Being critical doesn’t mean he’s getting fired beaches not, but let’s not sit here and pretend he’s a good head coach because I wasn’t born yesterday. Respectfully, I’m old enough to remember Cooper, you aren’t.